Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

Can't decide and have questions.........

Hello to all! I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question(s) or not, so forgive me if not in the correct category.

I will be retiring in 3 years. I have been researching full timing in an RV for about a year now. I really like the idea of having the capability of being able to move around. I am thinking that I won't "travel" that much but rather find a location and stay a month or two then go to the next location. Will definitely follow the warmth and be in Florida for winters. I just can't decide in what. I am leaning toward a used class a gas motor home, in the 35' range. My current vehicle is towable on a dolly. I really don't want to buy a big truck to pull something. I am by myself. Here is some other info on me:

1) Plan on being debt free at retirement. This includes having either a toad or tow vehicle paid off by then.
2) Looking at spending $35,000 to $50,000 on what ever I decide to get. Will pay cash.
3) Will have approximately $2,000.00 a month for social security coming in.
4) Will have approximately an additional $25,000.00 in savings after purchasing the RV.
5) I am NOT handy repairing anything mechanical ie; engines.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it bad for a motor home to sit for a month or two? I have considered buying a park model home but I want the option to move around.

2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now.

Thank you for all your expertise advise in advance.
rollindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have friends doing just that. Not sure what amount they have to live on, but most campgrounds offer monthly rates and if you don't need to reside in the ritzy place, rent shouldn't be a problem. How you live is up to you.

Now the MH. If you plan to tow a toad, just get one with enough power to tow it well. Then it's all up to how much you want to pay for one.

We like our DP and would hate to down size, but we could.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollindown View Post
I will be retiring in 3 years.
How old will you be when you retire?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #4

2k a month is low. Have you looked at the cost of health insurance?
Not being able to fix things your self will get expensive pretty quick. Things go wrong quite a bit.
Places to stay in FL during the winter are expensive.

It really depends on how you intend of living. Do a little more due diligence. Like - check on CGs in FL now where you might want to stay. Check medical insurance costs for wherever you will have your domicile. Read a bunch more on rvers budgets. They are all over this site and plenty of others on personal blogs.
Not trying to talk you out of it just giving a reality check.
I am single, brand new rv, do all my own maintenance and work and my budget is 40k/year.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:

2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now.

Thank you for all your expertise advise in advance.
What is your current age? Did you check that SS amount on the web site?

Generally, no $2,000 is not enough.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #6

I will be 65 when I retire. A reality check is what I am looking for. I don't want to get into something only to discover I can't afford it.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
I will be 65 when I retire. A reality check is what I am looking for. I don't want to get into something only to discover I can't afford it.
I asked your age because of health insurance. However, you'll be on Medicare, right? If so, one full timer "hurdle" has been removed.

On the other hand, $2000/month isn't much. Gas, food, lodging, etc add up.

You might consider work camping. Here's one resource: Workamper.

Also, since there's only one of you, consider a Class C. With you're limited budget, you should be able to start with a better (later model) unit as opposed to a Class A. Check out PPL Motorhomes.

Finally, plan on not spending a dime of that $25K you have because sh*t happens on the road and you want that "nut" as long as possible.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2017, 03:25 AM   #8

Thank you for all your replies. I guess I am going to have to ditch the idea of full timing and come up with a different plan. I don't want to get into something where I have to worry every month about not having enough money. I am currently a property manager and get a free apartment plus they pay my electric. I do plan on being debt free at retirement. I could work until I am 66 but it would only mean another $125 or so per month in social security.

Would having a truck and either a TT or 5th wheel be any less?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
The rig isn't your problem, it is the monthly income. If you said it would be $3000 a month, then as a single person, it would be doable. I know there are people that will tell you you can live on $2K a month, but that would be more existing than living. Work camping in exchange for a site might be a good fit, but that would usually mean 3 months in a spot before moving.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #10

Looking for permission?

www.rv.net.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #11

Not looking for permission, just want a handle on everything. I don't NEED anyone's permission to do anything, that's one of the reasons I'm single and have been for a long time.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #12

The high cost of living is a real concern, how many are just one paycheck away from......I think workcamping is in your future-flexible and once you travel around you will be exposed to situations that will fit your expectations. Try it, you'll like it....or you will learn why you don't, either way, you win!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I know of one campground in Michigan that only costs $1000 for May-Jun. If you found a few places like that I think you could do it.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #14

You can do it by using good money management skills, plan on boondocking or work camping for your site, travel less and live frugal. If you are able to live on that now then there should not be a concern. I would make sure to put in to savings, anything left each month, to cover a major expense. What you buy won't make much difference other than your comfort and camp spot selection. Maybe a little more gas since instead of a toad you will have a truck.

If you want to do it I think you could.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote