Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Can't decide what to do

We've sold our house and managed to get everything - almost - disposed of. We now have been full time for 14 months and returned to our old home area this month. We have a very small locker rented, $30.00 per month at an indoor storage facility. We have managed to clean it out EXCEPT for our old family photos -some date back to the 1880's and the unbelievably heavy decorator bed spread and pillows that MONACO seemed to think this motorhome needed to make it look good. Neither one of our two kids wants the photos.

We are going to attempt to scan and save all the photos this week and next, but it still pains us to think of disposing of them.

Should we keep this stupid spread so that if we ever decide to get rid of the MONACO we can make it look like the sales brochure picture, or just dispose of it? DW calls it the spread from hell.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Post a picture .....you might easily be able to sell or give to one of the members here.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #3

We scanned our pictures. I don't think the bedspread will matter when you sell it. Good luck
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have traded two coaches without the original bedspread and pillows and it made no difference at all to the price. Scan the photographs. The originals will deteriorate over time anyway.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #5

After you scan the pics, you might put the word out to the extended family that they are available. Someone may be into genealogy and would appreciate the pics especially if the subjects are identified. Another thought would be to check with your local library or genealogy/historical group. If you knew where the pics were taken, if not in your area, you might check with the library or genealogy/historic society where they originated.

We just sold our gasser without the original bedspread. I replaced it with a Walmart comforter and no one noticed.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
...Scan the photographs. The originals will deteriorate over time anyway.
X2

When you scan, scan at the highest resolution possible. I made the mistake of not using high enough resolution on some of ours because I was running out of hard drive space. Large external hard drives weren't available back when I did my scanning, but they're available today at fairly reasonable prices. A 1TB drive is under $70, and 2TB is about $120.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You can post a free ad in our classified as our rules do not permit selling in the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Post a picture .....you might easily be able to sell or give to one of the members here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a portable scanner (about the size of a kitchen handi-wrap box) and scanned 8300 pictures. Then I copied the pictures unto flash drives for any family member who was interested.

There are several brands on Amazon under $100, mine is a Panasonic, not sure if they still make it. Takes about 5 seconds for a snap-shot size and will accept a 8 x 11 also.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #9

Dump the bedspread, no one will want it. Scan the pictures but orginize and box the orginals and keep them, your kids may not want them now but your grand kids and great grand kids will. I have a closet that I have several boxes of old family pictures that my mother and father had going back as far as the early 1900's. Although I have scanned these I still go bvack and look at the originals.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
We have managed to clean it out EXCEPT for our old family photos -some date back to the 1880's.
Neither one of our two kids wants the photos.
We are going to attempt to scan and save all the photos this week and next, but it still pains us to think of disposing of them.
super_rep
Soon no one will be able to discover a shoe box full of priceless photos in Grandma's attic.
That's sad, but it is a changing world, (and, IMO, not always for the better).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
super_rep
Soon no one will be able to discover a shoe box full of priceless photos in Grandma's attic.
That's sad, but it is a changing world, (and, IMO, not always for the better).
Mel
'96 Safari
Well said,
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #12

Would a museum be interested in your photos??
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #13

After my mother passed I inherited everything. I came across pictures from the early 1900's of her parents when they lived in Hawaii. One has my grandfather getting ready to go surfing in a photo dated 1908. Some showed Waikiki beach with nothing but palm trees and a few cabana's. No hotels to be seen. I called the Hawaiian Historical Society and asked if they would be interested in them, and they couldn't say yes fast enough. So I donated over a 100 pictures to them with the oldest being 1919. I was happy to know that they would be kept and looked at, rather than being tossed out.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #14

I took all out old pictures and sent them to the closest relative and told them to send them on after they did what they wanted to. Now relatives are waiting to get their turn. The only rule is to make sure there's a copy enclosed of any you keep and add names to those you know that might not have a name. It's turned into a family tree kinda thing
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote