Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #57

We always carry cash, even on shorter trips - minimum $300. One time we stopped for gas at a tiny Indian run gas station and their credit card computer was out so they were only accepting cash. Only time in 20 years that we needed it for an "emergency" but glad we had it!
category5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #58

yup 40 in the car (which is 1/2 a tank of gas), and 60 in the truck (1/2 tank of gas), and the change jar is in the truck console - tolls and ice cream
Ciara Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #59

Just got back from a short trip. RV park would take credit but discounted for cash. Fabric store she stopped at does not take plastic. Hit two farm stands and a lunch, one had an oddball ATM, none took plastic. Only a few hundred but plastic was not the best answer for any of it and not the answer for most of it.

If we went to the fancy restaurant they would have taken plastic but we would have dropped $50-$100 for dinner. Not why we camp.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #60

whats cash 😳
everybody loves those little plastic things. if stolen/ comprised. i do not lose a penny.
and must be worth a lot, as the banks have never asked for them back.
but i do get those pesky bills in the mail.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
I have a fire safe in my DP which I carry a couple thousand for emergencies and those CGs that take only cash. When I towed my TT I would carry it in the center console locked.

Having said that, as I am moving toward full-timing I plan to carry a little cash, maybe a grand and maybe 5 grand in 1 grand certificates of deposit. My bank transfers money from Money Market account to checking when I call and my CC has a very hefty limit which gets paid off monthly. We live completely debt free. Normal monthly bills for utilities, insurance, etc. i have set up for auto pay on my CC which notifies me for every charge over 1 dollar by text.

I'm looking at moving accounts from current local bank to a larger national bank with branches across the states which would allow me to transfer, deposit and withdrawal money as needed with a minimum charge. Hopefully free!

Hope my planning thoughts provide some assistance in making your decisions. Have a great day - Richard
Chase Bank, they are Nationwide and you can do everything you are talking about online.
jjcrawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #62

Carry some but not like old days

I carry maybe a $K in a fireproof but nothing like the days before credit cards. I have found that Ally Bank (old GMAC) on line works well for us. They pay the ATM fees, up to 6 a month and pay 1.8% yield on savings. Easy system to work with so I don't have to carry much cash. Auto draft credit cards keep me from having to worry about internet connections and allow me to fund the bank accounts ahead of time. It is so much easier to travel now.
mcdade54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #63

That is a good point. I had not thought of 911 or other National emergency. Need enough to get home and live on as well possibly for 1 month. Thanks
nursecamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a cash kind of guy. Usually saves 10 cents a gallon on fuel stops. I have CC's and Debit cards for convenience but usually don't use them very often. I start feeling uneasy when I get down to a few hundred bucks in my possession. But, that's just me. Do whatever makes you comfortable.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #65

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I keep about 200 to 300 in my wallet, and then a reasonable amount in the safe. I try not to let that amount in the safe drop below $750 by the end of our travels.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We full time and have carried up to $10k cash at times, but usually it's less than half that. Cash is KING and traveling around you never know what might come up. The amount of cash you carry is really a personal choice and I always like to have options, cards, checks, or cash. I've even considered carrying a 1 oz gold bar for any super national/personal disaster emergency. Someday a tank of fuel might be worth it's weight in gold! Living in a RV is no different than a S&B house, you need financial backup plans.
Just wondering. In an emergency, how will you use a one ounce gold bar to pay for $100 in groceries or fuel?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #67

Great responses.
Cash on hand during a normal RV trip VS prepping for the next catastrophe is a whole different scenario.
Of course, if you tend to be on the prepper side, like I do, then every RV trip is a potential catastrophe !

Cash is king when anything out of the norm comes up.
$500 minimum at arms length is part of my plan 24/7 RV or not.
chucktuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #68

I usually have at least 3k on most ant trip because you never know. I do not keep valuables in the safe which is the first place any savvy rv thief would look. A small pry bar and 30 seconds the safe is gone.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Just wondering. In an emergency, how will you use a one ounce gold bar to pay for $100 in groceries or fuel?

If it is a true emergency and my options were limited then I would gladly give someone the gold bar and let them keep the change for 100 gallons of fuel or food if it meant the difference of getting to my destination or food to stay alive. That gold bar will mean nothing to me after I'm gone!
I agree on a safe being too obvious to a thief as a place to find valuables. A RV owner should know his rig well enough to find many creative hiding places.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #70

Yes, we carry cash and checks. We have stayed in a couple of places (one was very high end) that would not take a credit card but would take a check even though it was out of state. Always a good idea to have everything covered in case something comes up....
maryinred is offline   Reply With Quote