Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Something tells me that the DW will be relieving you of your Verizon phone in short order and you'll be the one sporting the AT&T. Can you hear me now?
My side hurts from laughing. I'm not kidding.

Mel
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very simple, Verizon=CDMA also Sprint. All others in the western world, GSM. ATT, you choose
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
First there is no system that will give you 100% coverage and that includes a Sat phone.
I did a field test on ATT, T-Mobile, and Verizon in Mt, Id, Wa, Or, N Cal with all three systems at the same time and found the Verizon network coverage to be the best.
As to plans the Straight Talk Home Phone set up works very well for a mobile phone
and out preforms a hand held cell phone and cost $15.00 / month for nation wide
calling with the normal perks.
Millenicom for internet hotspot is the best mobile internet plan that operates off the
Verizon network.
Their plan and hot spot allows up to 10 devises connected at one time and cost $90.00 / month for 20 gb.
They require you purchase the hotspot from them and if you need more than 20 gb of data they only sell 20 gb increases was the only down side.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We have Straight Talk and like it a lot. The key is to buy the right phone model since different models run on different networks. We bought a smartphone that runs on Verizon (by far the best nationwide network) and have used it almost everywhere. Very few places we didn't have coverage. You won't get the latest, snazzy phone with ST, but you can get inexpensive, solid coverage. We really like not having a contract.

For backup we have a super cheap "dumb" Tracfone which we pay around $5/mo for (we buy a years worth of minutes on it, so we only pay once a year). The phone model we bought there runs on AT&T.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #19
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We have Straight Talk and like it a lot. The key is to buy the right phone model since different models run on different networks. We bought a smartphone that runs on Verizon (by far the best nationwide network) and have used it almost everywhere. Very few places we didn't have coverage. You won't get the latest, snazzy phone with ST, but you can get inexpensive, solid coverage. We really like not having a contract.

For backup we have a super cheap "dumb" Tracfone which we pay around $5/mo for (we buy a years worth of minutes on it, so we only pay once a year). The phone model we bought there runs on AT&T.
Thanks, WheelingIt. I am looking to hold down the budget. So you have Straight Talk and a backup Tracfone. What is your internet provider on the road? (I assume you all are full-timers.) I'm not too tech-savy. People have talked about Millenicom, but I'm not sure how it works. If I pay Millenicom $90 a month for internet service, I'll still be paying Verizon for internet service... unless I can use Millenicom for internet and Straight Talk (with a Verizon network phone). That would run me around $140 a month. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Yep we use Millenicom for internet. Cheapest for the number of gigs you get....and it runs on the Verizon network.

If you don't need much internet you might be able to reduce costs by going direct with Verizon and using the phone as a hot spot. Just depends on your needs. We depend on the internet and use quite a lot so Millennicom works out better for us.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Thanks, WheelingIt. I am looking to hold down the budget. So you have Straight Talk and a backup Tracfone. What is your internet provider on the road? (I assume you all are full-timers.) I'm not too tech-savy. People have talked about Millenicom, but I'm not sure how it works. If I pay Millenicom $90 a month for internet service, I'll still be paying Verizon for internet service... unless I can use Millenicom for internet and Straight Talk (with a Verizon network phone). That would run me around $140 a month. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
There are two ways to go with Straight Talk 1) a cell phone (make sure it is on the Verizon system), they have plans from $30.00 to $45.00 per month
or 2) their home phone plan which you plug a standard phone into their
phone unit, this unit will operate off 120 volts AC or 12 volts DC, this
plan only works on the Verizon system and cost $15.00 per month.
On Millenicom you purchase a hotspot from them and pay them $90.00
per month for 20 gigs, their hotspot only works off the Verizon system.
Bottom line is you pay Straight Talk for phone and Millenicom for internet
no one else and no contract.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #22

Another option for data is the Straight Talk hotspot. This is on the Verizon network and costs $40 per 4 gb over 60 days. A higher price per gb than Millenicom but you don't have to be on a recurring monthly plan. I find that campground wifi is generally good enough that I only need to use the hotspot to fill-in when it isn't, so $40 every two months on a prepaid basis makes more sense for me than $90/month on a recurring plan. If you are a very heavy user and don't mind paying on a monthly plan whether you use the service or not then Millenicom could be more cost-effective, but nice to have the Straight Talk option for lighter users or those who only need a 'backup' device.

Another thing to note is that while Verizon tends to provide the best overall coverage it is not ubiquitous. Both Millenicom and Straight Talk are MVNOs, meaning they work only in Verizon's prime service area and not where Verizon service is provided via a carrier agreement (you do get data service in these areas if you are an official Verizon customer, but not via an MVNO), thus some areas are blacked out to Millenicom and Straight Talk customers. Verizon's home network is pretty expansive so this isn't often a problem, but something to be aware of. If 'all of the time' coverage is critical then it's not a bad idea to purchase an inexpensive AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid hotspot and keep it around so you can temporarily charge it up just in case. This will ensure you have coverage just about everywhere cellular service is available in the US.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #23
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Another option for data is the Straight Talk hotspot. This is on the Verizon network and costs $40 per 4 gb over 60 days. A higher price per gb than Millenicom but you don't have to be on a recurring monthly plan. I find that campground wifi is generally good enough that I only need to use the hotspot to fill-in when it isn't, so $40 every two months on a prepaid basis makes more sense for me than $90/month on a recurring plan. If you are a very heavy user and don't mind paying on a monthly plan whether you use the service or not then Millenicom could be more cost-effective, but nice to have the Straight Talk option for lighter users or those who only need a 'backup' device.

Another thing to note is that while Verizon tends to provide the best overall coverage it is not ubiquitous. Both Millenicom and Straight Talk are MVNOs, meaning they work only in Verizon's prime service area and not where Verizon service is provided via a carrier agreement (you do get data service in these areas if you are an official Verizon customer, but not via an MVNO), thus some areas are blacked out to Millenicom and Straight Talk customers. Verizon's home network is pretty expansive so this isn't often a problem, but something to be aware of. If 'all of the time' coverage is critical then it's not a bad idea to purchase an inexpensive AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid hotspot and keep it around so you can temporarily charge it up just in case. This will ensure you have coverage just about everywhere cellular service is available in the US.
Very good advice. I appreciate the input and will take all this into account as we near time to make the decision for these services.

Mel
Old 09-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Verizon has the best "overall" coverage but we have been in many parks, particularly remote state parks, that we did not have coverage (Verizon).
Here would be my advice, just remember it is worth what your paying for it.
Get a Verizon Jet Pack hot spot. That will serve as you private network for printing and device to device communication, as well as a router for access to the internet. Get one of your phones along with the jet pack, Verizon. Get the DW phone with AT&T with hot spot capable. Use the Verizon Jet Pack as you main internet access. In some cases AT&T might be available where Verizon is not and you could then use the AT&T phone as your internet access.
If neither of those have access in can assure you no other carrier will either.
We have just set up this way with 2 Galaxy S5s - for the Verizon we have been using Millenicom + 2 GB plan and since ATT gave me their Hotspot for 99 cents I have that too and been running a 15 GB plan for reference. Been experimenting at home as we start full time Nov 7th. Verizon is bad here at s&b but the Wilson Sleek makes an appreciable difference. But right here - in this spot - nothing can touch the speed of ATT 4G LTE on the S5.

Millenicom is running about average DSL speeds up and down. A little better with the Sleek.

I would like to say there is an cheaper way Mel - but from what I have read - and experienced - if you're going to want the net and cell service on demand and good service - budget $250 to $300 /month - and if you want to stream video - break out the real money... I'm sure many do with less and I could too. But for now - my habits say $300 / month is what it will take. If my habits change - good. I can't surf the net if I'm surfing - or fishing or....
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve? Why so much Data? Deb & I can be on our pads all day long, and rarely do we go over 6 GB. When we stream, its different. But, then again we only send a couple of pics a day, and do mostly surfing or things like this site. Is the OP using this for business?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Steve? Why so much Data? Deb & I can be on our pads all day long, and rarely do we go over 6 GB. When we stream, its different. But, then again we only send a couple of pics a day, and do mostly surfing or things like this site. Is the OP using this for business?
There is one day left this month - and I need to check what I used on the Millenicom this month - and last month on the ATT almost exclusively I came in under the 15... but there was some time on the home setup and some on the Millenicom. So I'm sure we came close to the 15. With the 20 the Millenicom provides and 1 or 2 GB per phone we should be fine.

As for why so much data. Who knows ??? - I have been trying to push it - Chromecasting and LocalCasting YouTube and slides and stuff to the TV.

I was on an unlimited cell and home plan and had no idea how much data I have been using for the past umpty years.

So the experiment continues.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #27
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
We have just set up this way with 2 Galaxy S5s - for the Verizon we have been using Millenicom + 2 GB plan and since ATT gave me their Hotspot for 99 cents I have that too and been running a 15 GB plan for reference. Been experimenting at home as we start full time Nov 7th. Verizon is bad here at s&b but the Wilson Sleek makes an appreciable difference. But right here - in this spot - nothing can touch the speed of ATT 4G LTE on the S5.

Millenicom is running about average DSL speeds up and down. A little better with the Sleek.

I would like to say there is an cheaper way Mel - but from what I have read - and experienced - if you're going to want the net and cell service on demand and good service - budget $250 to $300 /month - and if you want to stream video - break out the real money... I'm sure many do with less and I could too. But for now - my habits say $300 / month is what it will take. If my habits change - good. I can't surf the net if I'm surfing - or fishing or....
Ok, Steve, my mind is officially boggled. We are just beginning the research phase of this thing and there is so friggin much to learn. The phone and internet issue is an example. DW manages the finances and really doesn't want to go over $200 a month for both; but it sounds like we will need to push it to $250.

We plan on doing a lot of our "living" outdoors and won't be spending nearly as much time on the net as we do now. However, there is bill-paying and communicating with kids and keeping up with our mutant pals and researching sites to see down the road, etc., etc. So we will need internet connection some of the time.

Actually, I think it will be more important for us to have reliable phone service more of the time than reliable internet. Therefore, our best bet may be to get a Verizon phone for one of us and an ATT phone for the other. I absolutely hate the contract plans. They have you by the throat with those things. But the no-contract plans seem to have second-tier coverage for the most part.

What to do .... what to do .... !
Mel
Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #28
MPH

Steve, I plead ignorant! What is a Wilson Sleek?