Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #29

For in park, WiFiRanger with one of their two to choose from antenna (most will be supported with standard smaller antenna).

For cell or MiFi data (and voice), much depends on how fast you need it:

1) Today, Wilson Sleek with a larger roof top antenna, is a good way to go for 4G/LTE data. (And voice...)

2) If you can wait a month or so, Maximum Signal has a newly approved amplifier coming out. IMO, it will future proof cell Data and Voice for a long time ahead. It will out perform the current generation of Wilson Sleek. Maximum Signal is in the process of building amps now. They'll also have a roof top antenna they can recommend for this unit. (And also for the Wilson Sleek, that I'm using now. They had a roof top antenna that works well with this.)

As you saw in this older thread, and others that you have read, other options exists for both WiFi and cell Data/Voice. So options exist.

On ease of use? I know the Wilson Sleek is pretty straight forward, plug in and use! WiFiRanger can be real easy, and can also be real frustrating. But, most of the frustrating was from earlier software generations. They also had some bad hardware (chips provider was not up to spec), and i think a sign of the character of the company - was they made good on any suspect hardware, even well off of warranty.

Overall, I feel most people who can follow instructions, will not have a problem on setting up either WiFi or cell Data/Voice amplifications. I don't know for sure about the Maximum Signal Cell/Data amp, but suspect it will be easy too. (I'm waiting for this to come out, and will move the Wilson Sleek to the Toad to provided support while out and about.

Best of luck to you on your choices,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Another supporter of the Wilson Sleek. I have had as much as a 23db increase in received signal using a Sleek combined with a Wilson short trucker antenna with my Verizon Jetpack. The amplifier often made the difference between a non usable signal & a solid data connection.

As to carriers, while I agree that what ever carrier covers the area you are in is obviously the one you want, if traveling around the country you may be in a different area every day. I carry both a Verizon based Jetpack & an AT&T iPhone. In cities & along the interstates both carriers provide excellent service. Once you get out into rural areas, I found far better coverage by Verizon. While there were locations that had AT&T & no Verizon, it was usually the other way around.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:39 AM   #31
OWV

Information from 3GStore Sales

I reached out to 3Gstore and here is information they provided regarding boosting a wi-fi signal within a campground and boosting a cell signal.

BOOSTING A WI-FI SIGNAL

To obtain a stronger signal from the campground WiFi, you can use WiFi WAN on a device like the Pepwave Device Connector IP55: Pepwave Device Connector IP55 (2.4GHz Only) : 3Gstore.com. This device would essentially repeat the existing WiFi signal in order to use it as your own network. As a follow-up I asked, how much signal gain can we expect to get? This was their answer.

The Device Connector IP55 would use it's WiFi as WAN range of about 1,000 feet to draw in that WiFi signal, and repeat it to your devices. As for Signal gain, that is a bit harder to measure with WiFi repeaters. The range of the unit is often times a good indicator of how well the unit will work for you. If you're outside the "usable wifi range" of the campground wifi then this unit can help you grab the better signal. Overall we've been receiving positive reviews about the Device Connector IP55.

BOOSTING A CELLULAR SIGNAL

For boosting cellular signal, you could consider a Wireless Repeater Kit for your motor home. The two main options you would want to consider would be the DT4G, and the Wilson Mobile 4G.

The DT4G is designed to be used for buildings to give a room or a couple of rooms boosted coverage. However, many people have seen success using it in RVs/Motor homes. The negatives to using this kit are that it
1. will not boost signal while the vehicle is in motion, and
2. requires around 30' of separation between the two antennas. Depending on the RV this separation may not be possible, however the amplifier can be adjusted to require less separation. DT4G: Wilson DT4G 60db 5-Band SmarTech III Desktop Repeater Kit - 460101 [700/800/1900/1700/2100mhz], 5 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

The Wilson Mobile 4G will work while the vehicle is in motion, and requires much less separation. However it will only give about 5-10 feet of boosted coverage, whereas the DT4G may be able to cover the entire RV. Wilson Mobile 4G: Wilson Mobile 50db 5-Band SmarTech III Repeater Kit - 460108 [700/800/1900/1700/2100mhz] : 3Gstore.com

I asked how these 2 cell signal boosters compared to the Wilson Sleek 4G Universal SmarTech III Cell Phone/Hotspot Cradle Signal Booster mentioned in this thread, whether all the options are compatible with Verizon 4G LTE, and if they meet the new FCC regulations. Here are their responses. The Sleek 4G could also be a valid solution. The reason I didn't recommend this at first is because you mentioned boosting phones and a hotspot. Using the Sleek you would only be able to boost one device at a time, whereas with the repeater kits above you could boost multiple devices within the coverage area. They also said that when compared to the other 2 suggestions, the Wilson Mobile and DT4G amplifiers have the potential to give you greater gain than the Wilson Sleek because their amps are more powerful. As for compatibility and the rules, the answer was, all of these items are compatible with Verizon 4G, which is also their LTE network and all their products are in compliance with the new FCC rules.

I hope the readers of this thread find this information useful.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
2014 Entegra Anthem 44B
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote