Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 04:12 AM   #1

Changing home state to Florida

Hello all,
So I completed all the necessary paperwork to begin switching registrations, vehicle titles and drivers license from NJ to Florida. I set up mail forwarding service with SBI in Green Cove Springs.
I drove to Green Cove Springs Florida yesterday to get Florida DL.
I had no idea that my new Florida drivers license would use license plate number of motor home as my address and not use the address that I was given from mail forwarding service (seems weird to not have number, street and town anywhere on license)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

The folks at SBI were very helpful explaining the process to becoming Florida residents. They told us what to expect, and what steps to take and in what order. We completed the process in May.

The people in Green Cove Springs were great! It took 2 1/2 hours from start to finish to register our toad, fix an issue with the registration on our RV, register our boat, get our drivers licenses, register to vote, and get library cards. Everyone was friendly, helpful, and welcoming.

Our licenses show our licence plate number as street address, and then Green Cove Springs, FL as town and state. The woman at the DMV explained to us that this was because we are fulltiming and our RV IS our home. We have since used the licenses as ID to get through TSA at the airport, at a doctor's office, and to prove residency (along with a requested copy of a cell phone bill which showed our full address) when opening a bank account.

When we registered to vote they used 1 Clay County as our street address, followed by Green Cove Springs, FL as town and state. We are already signed up to receive absentee ballots by mail.

Susan
Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
The folks at SBI were very helpful explaining the process to becoming Florida residents. They told us what to expect, and what steps to take and in what order. We completed the process in May . . .

When we registered to vote they used 1 Clay County as our street address, followed by Green Cove Springs, FL as town and state. We are already signed up to receive absentee ballots by mail.
Are you aware of this voters' rights advisory?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #4

No, I hadn't seen that. Very interesting! Thanks for the links.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
My husband emailed SBI who we have used over a year now. That day he received not one but two phone calls from the owner trying to tell him the voters right issue would not affect those of us already registered but he danced around the part that states if your address is 1 Clay County, you are already on their radar as a mobile member (RV, marine, etc). In order to see if you might actually get kicked off the rolls, they publish a public notice but buried it on the Clay County gov websites so most people never see it. And you only have 30 days to respond. They do’t list everyone in one notice so you have to check each and every notice listed. Thankfully they are in alphabetical order.

https://www.clayelections.com/Genera.../Legal-Notices
Old 07-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
The folks at SBI were very helpful explaining the process to becoming Florida residents. They told us what to expect, and what steps to take and in what order. We completed the process in May.

The people in Green Cove Springs were great! It took 2 1/2 hours from start to finish to register our toad, fix an issue with the registration on our RV, register our boat, get our drivers licenses, register to vote, and get library cards. Everyone was friendly, helpful, and welcoming.

Our licenses show our licence plate number as street address, and then Green Cove Springs, FL as town and state. The woman at the DMV explained to us that this was because we are fulltiming and our RV IS our home. We have since used the licenses as ID to get through TSA at the airport, at a doctor's office, and to prove residency (along with a requested copy of a cell phone bill which showed our full address) when opening a bank account.

Susan
thanks for letting me know that there is no problem with regards to tag # as home address
Old 07-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #7

PandS,

I was not correct about what information was put on my drivers license.
DL does in fact show license plate number of RV as well as the town & state.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #8

We use SBI also and on both of our driver licenses it lists our RV's plate number as our home address in the street address, then city and state is Green Cove Springs, FL

Tags
florida