Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

City Water or Water Pump..

Hello fellow full-timers. I have been living FT with my Wife and kids in our fifth wheel for a year and a half now. I was reading on one of the other forums about a problem some folks have had with water running over in their toilets while asleep or away. This led the discussion to the recommendation of NOT leaving the city water on but instead fill your fresh water water tank and utilize that source by way of the water pump. When not home, or asleep, turn the pump off. Is this a common practice out there? Until reading this yesterday I had never even thought of it. We have went out of town, and leave to go out and about all the time and have always just left the city water on with no thought otherwise, and have only used the pump while traveling. I appreciate any advice or shared experience with this.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #2

We too stay hooked to city water. I understand the risk, but put it into the class of risk that insurance is for. With that said, we have never worked off of our tank for any extended period of time, until the cg we are presently in. We can fill out tank here, but don't have a faucet to connect to on an ongoing basis. So we are operating on the tank and it is pretty equivalent. Good pressure and easy. The only negatives I am seeing are: 1) the pump noise that I am not used to; and 2) tracking when the tank needs refilling. The sensors only show you when you drop below a third. You don't know where below a third you are. Also, planning on refilling on a day with decent weather. So overall assessment, doable and not too bad.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #3

We always work off the tank. We don't stay connected.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #4

40 yrs of camping with various RVs and ALWAYS used CG Water ....City Water
Fresh water tank/pump were for those boondocking events

Then in 2006 ordered the 5th wheel we would be using for FTng and started using a Water Pressure Regualtor for the FIRST time.

2008 ---been FTng for about 1 1/2 yrs usign City Water with the Regulator.
Set up in CG at Devils Tower with plans to explore the next day.
Dog woke us up at 4:30AM acting strange.......living rm, kitchen area and both slide outs FLOODED. Water spewing out from under the sink cabinet. Ran outside to secure the CG spigot and relaized that our site and 2 others were also flooded, water had been running that long.

Spent ALL day squeegee then wet/dry vacuum, tearing out carpet in living room/both slides and then AIR Dryers blowing warm air across subfloor PLUS running RV furnace to help dry out.
PLUS the phone time with Insurance Company starting claim and setting up time/place with Adjustor.
Packed up next morning and drove to Casper WY to faciliate evaluation by Adjustor and faciliate repairs

2 weeks total for repairs, 3 days at a motel etc.....$6000 PLUS total costs
All because a $0.50 fitting failed. (Found the fitting....2 pieces. Over tightened and was cracked. WH Tank hot out)

Have NOT used City Water SINCE. Exclusively use fresh water tank/pump.
Consistent pressure/flow no matter where we go. Fill tank as needed (usually once a week) and can EASILY flip the switch to turn pump OFF when going to bed, when stepping outside, when leaving ----plus if I hear pump short cycle I know I have a leak BEFORE it becomes major problem

Fresh water tank/pump as intended/desgined....part of that self contained RV

Try it....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #5

We have always run off our holding tank - even using it for our drinking water. This is because........

We once were sleeping when we had the 5th wheel & got up to use the bathroom and the floor was wet. The flush valve had stuck before bedtime and the black tank had filled along with the toilet and then the overflow to the floor. Luckily, we seemed to catch it right away and we had just emptied the black tank that day so by the time it backed up into the toilet & then the floor it appeared to be clean water. However, everything in the basement area was soaked.

We were in a park once and the neighbor went off for the day. Mid-afternoon we noticed water dripping from under the RV. We went over and turned off their water. When they returned they found that the cat had turned on the kitchen faucet and it filled the grey water tank and overflowed into the RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Then in 2006 ordered the 5th wheel we would be using for FTng and started using a Water Pressure Regualtor for the FIRST time.

Dog woke us up at 4:30AM acting strange.......living rm, kitchen area and both slide outs FLOODED. Water spewing out from under the sink cabinet. Ran outside to secure the CG spigot and relaized that our site and 2 others were also flooded, water had been running that long.

Spent ALL day squeegee then wet/dry vacuum, tearing out carpet in living room/both slides and then AIR Dryers blowing warm air across subfloor PLUS running RV furnace to help dry out.
PLUS the phone time with Insurance Company starting claim and setting up time/place with Adjustor.
Packed up next morning and drove to Casper WY to faciliate evaluation by Adjustor and faciliate repairs

All because a $0.50 fitting failed. (Found the fitting....2 pieces. Over tightened and was cracked. WH Tank hot out)

Consistent pressure/flow no matter where we go. Fill tank as needed (usually once a week) and can EASILY flip the switch to turn pump OFF when going to bed, when stepping outside, when leaving ----plus if I hear pump short cycle I know I have a leak BEFORE it becomes major problem

Try it....

Old Biscuit, you’re a wealth of knowledge and experience on these forums. I appreciate your advise. Looks like I’m switching over to the pump. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We have always run off our holding tank - even using it for our drinking water. This is because........

We once were sleeping when we had the 5th wheel & got up to use the bathroom and the floor was wet. The flush valve had stuck before bedtime and the black tank had filled along with the toilet and then the overflow to the floor. Luckily, we seemed to catch it right away and we had just emptied the black tank that day so by the time it backed up into the toilet & then the floor it appeared to be clean water. However, everything in the basement area was soaked.

We were in a park once and the neighbor went off for the day. Mid-afternoon we noticed water dripping from under the RV. We went over and turned off their water. When they returned they found that the cat had turned on the kitchen faucet and it filled the grey water tank and overflowed into the RV.

Thank you for sharing this. Looks like its best to run off the tank/pump rather than to take a Chance.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #8

I usually run off the tank because (1) pump water pressure is almost always better than city water pressure (2) doing this continually flushes the water tank with fresh water.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #9

Wow. And to think I leave my water turned on and connected at my stick and brick home year around too. And imagine all the commercial buildings that don't turn off the water at night when people aren't around either. Who knows when a fitting will break? Who knows when a clothes washer hose will break, yet here I am tempting fate by not shutting off my water.

And shouldn't we all disconnect electricity too? When a short is going to happen is up to chance. If we shut off all electricity, 110v and 12v whenever we're not using it we'd all be safer. Can you imagine all the house fires that wouldn't start if the residents had only shut off the power each time?

Now you all can see I type this with tongue in cheek. There is an acceptable level of risk we all are willing to take. If it makes you feel better, shut it off. For me, I'm staying hooked up to city tap and if it leaks I'll handle it. The next paragraph shouldn't be missed, don't stop reading yet.

Oh, and one more thing. My icemaker hose sprung a pinhole leak 3 days ago and flooded under the fridge and crept halfway under the dining table. I used a wet-dry vacuum and a fan to dry it all out and we're none the worse for wear. Stuff happens. Fix it and move on. You'll kill yourself worrying about every little thing.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is it really so hard to turn off the water spigot when you leave?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #11

We boondock most of the time so we almost always use our pump. I like the ease of turning it off when we leave our coach. When we do have hookups available we usually do a couple of loads of laundry (we have a Splendide combo unit) and in that situation I'll connect to city water. But, in that case, when we leave the coach we still shut off the water at the outside spigot (I use a Y fitting with easy-to-operate shutoff valves). Turning off the water source when we leave our coach is quick and easy "insurance" for us.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Try it....
Yup.. in our case it was an extreme pressure surge.(City Water system had a pressure regulator go bad.. they estimated the pressure was 125 to 150 lbs..) Use the on board tank and pump exclusively..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 PM   #13

I don't worry about it, fret over it or even give it a second thought.
Had a major leak.......major incovenience/time---monies/dealing with Insurance

So I made an informed decision to minimize that type of event again by using the pump.

And I don't have to go outside each evening before going to bed to turn spigot off, go back out in the morning to turn spigot back on and any camping neighbors don't have to see my naked butt cause I sleep in the buff.
I just flip the pump switch off/on.

Simple......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #14

The one time that I noticed someone always using their pump I found it odd and in 7 years fulltime we have always used the city water and only use the pump while boondocking.
I never turn off the spigot at night or when we leave during the day and only turn it off if we might be gone over night which really never has happened.
I think the only times I HAVE turned off the water at the spigot while gone during the day is if the hose in in the sun and it's going to be a very hot day
MY mind set has always been wear on the pump over time, I had 1 go bad while boondocking and that was a drag so I figure by not using it all the time it should last and be available when I want it.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump