RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Class A FT w/o a toad

Do any of you full timers in Class As travel without a toad and just rely on Uber or car rentals at destinations? It seems like it may be a pain to not have a dingy at your disposal on demand, however with today's ride sharing services and ease of rentals,it may be less expensive to not have a toad and all the expenses, etc that goes with it.

I was hoping to field responses from those that have tried to full time sans the extra vehicle perspectives.

Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hayden View Post
Do any of you full timers in Class As travel without a toad and just rely on Uber or car rentals at destinations?
Most places I park are too remote to offer any kind of Uber type service. So, it depends on your location.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #3

I've very rarely been anywhere rental or uber was available.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Maybe for Class Bs and very small Class Cs. But a lot of people have tried that in Class As and most are back within 6 months asking about different vehicles to use as toads. Remember, a week at a destination (you've got all the groceries with you and the park store as essentials available for outrages prices) is doable, full timing is a different type of experience. Do you want to unhook every day to go sightseeing, then come back, have to rebook up to utilities, etc., and repeat the next day. Can you even get your rig into the places you want to visit? And is there Uber available - only in big cities. Try seeing Big Bend National Park in a big class A (1/3 of park road is 24' or less), couldn't go to Jerome or drive up Oak Creek Canyon. Now if all of your destinations will be in big city areas, go for it.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #5

Two stories (both short)

A few years ago we were staying at our nearest state park, just 25 miles away. When we go there we normally drove the wife’s car so we could get get stuff if needed. When it was time to leave to go home, the MH would not start. Had to get a tow. Good thing we had the car as the park is out in the boonies.

We did not have a tow car (at the time) and relied on rentals, taxi’s. Uber was only in metropolitan areas at the time. So we go on a trip to Michigan and stayed at the KOA near our destination. We get there and there are no rental companies, and the taxi service consisted of one guy who worked a couple of different areas.

When we replaced the MH with our new MH, we bit the bullet and started taking a toad.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
we recently got rid of the motorcycle and even though we still have the mini copper we can not wait to find our next bike we need 2 forms of trans other then the rv
Old 10-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

If you're going full-time are you planning to stay only in big cities or do you want to see the country?

Get a car to tow. It's easy to do and there are a lot of perks. I just can't imagine full-timing without a car.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I cannot see full time without a tow vehicle. Before we retired and took short trips, we often took the motorhome and our bikes to make shorter runs. Since we are older and cannot ride as far on the bikes, I could not be without the towed car.

Ken
Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

We actually did it a couple of years but we could always borrow friends cars in exchange for a gas fillup or a bottle from town. It's a pain in the posterior.

Buy a little Mini or Fiat for less than $4k and make it easy on yourself.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Get a car to tow. It's easy to do and there are a lot of perks. I just can't imagine full-timing without a car.

What he said!
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #11

How about a moped or a electric bike for times you need transportation but not worth renting a vehicle/Uber?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #12

i full time with just a moped on a hitch. its fine for me, i can load 2 bags of groceries. last year i was out in the boonies and drove it regularly 20 miles.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
i full time with just a moped on a hitch. its fine for me, i can load 2 bags of groceries. last year i was out in the boonies and drove it regularly 20 miles.
Great if you're near a grocery store and it's not raining, windy, cold.

For siteseeing you really need a car. It's nothing to put on 100 miles touring the backroads or even a day in Yellowstone.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #14

haha, last winter in texas it rained so much i rode around with a wetsuit on.

Tags
class a, toad