Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Class C Full Timers with Big Dogs

Spoiler alert - I continue to waffle between a Class A and Class C for full timing in less than 2 years (and anxiously counting down). I prefer a Class C (30 - 35 footer), but I have two 50 pound dogs (and 4 cats) and am worried about us all tripping over each other. With the Class C, the cats can hang out in the overhead bunk, so I only have to worry about the comfort of the dogs. Are there any Class C full timers out there with a menagerie? Any tips for a Class C? Any regrets on your rv selection?
Wisdmhilites is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

Wisdmhilites-

My only comment is that "standard" Class C coaches top out around 31 to 32 feet. There are "Super C" Class C coaches that are longer than that, and generally much more expensive than the "standard."
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

If you want a 35 ft rv, I suggest going to the A. To each their own, but I wouldnt want to live in an rv with six animals.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Please rethink taking all of those animals with you no matter what size RV you have. We traveled for for 3 years with two cats and another 6 years with one cat, and at 37' there were times when it felt like we didn't have enough room for them. Yes, they did well, but when trapped inside by rain for a week, that space can get to be VERY small. And 2 50 lb dogs in a Class C - no way would I do that FOR THEIR SAKE.
Anything over 30' for a Class C and you want one of the Truck Framed Super Cs - otherwise you have have a long hangover that you have to worry about.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

had a 30'class c and no slide traveled with an avg size lab took out the sofa bed and moved a barrel chair and wall hugger recliner to where the sofa was, the dog got the spot at where the chair was worked for the 2 of us, plus it was easier to watch the front ovhd tv. As you said the cats can live up front but you will find that they will be constant pain, they just dont travel well
Reka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
We had a 22" foot Class C that we traveled in with 3 St. Bernards, but we weren't full-timing then. Later, when we did full-time, it was in a 34" Class A with just one Saint and two cats.

It never felt overly small, even if sometimes one had to shuffle forward through sleeping mutts, but then Saints are laid back dogs and don't do a lot of bouncing around playing.

We loved our animals and they were part of the family, so maybe we all learned the tolerance necessary.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #7

We full time in a 30 ft class C with two dogs. A 35 lb mix breed and a 100+ lb Great Dane.
The dane sleeps on the couch and the mix sleeps in a dog bed between the driver and passenger seat. It does get quite cramped at times but we make due.
abago71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Make sure you check the CCC, cargo carrying capacity, of any coach you are considering. Many of the larger class Cs have a very limited CCC.

I'm also concerned about that many animals in any size RV. Are you sure that confining them in such a small space is what's best for them?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Make sure you check the CCC, cargo carrying capacity, of any coach you are considering. Many of the larger class Cs have a very limited CCC.

I'm also concerned about that many animals in any size RV. Are you sure that confining them in such a small space is what's best for them?
…. and you travel with a monkey and a dog in a small RV?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #10

Haven't lived in an RV but I do see a lot of people in large cities with big dogs. Large cities usually means small apartment possibly smaller than an RV. Just a thought.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #11

We both have had our share of furry companions over the years, but do not travel with any. One of the reasons is that many RV parks have implemented strict pet restrictions. They address the number of pets, type of pets, size (weight) of pets, breeds of dogs, types of leash, length of leash etc. One place we stayed at has outlawed retractable leashes and restricts leash length to 6 feet.
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #12

We spend up to 10 days at a time in a 38ft double slide
class A with our 60lb lab. We have 2 cats which we leave at home with a pet sitter as they do not travel well. Even going 7 miles annually to the vet is a drama.

I could handle either the dog or cats in the coach but not both.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
…. and you travel with a monkey and a dog in a small RV?
Both Sena and Lily are small, about 8 pounds. We only travel about 60 days per year. We stay for 5 months in AZ where I erect a 10’x20’ secure yard for Lily. She will run and get herself in trouble. Sena is not caged. She can enter and exit at will on warm days. She won’t venture away from our camp.

We also stay about 5 months at my daughter's home near Seattle. There Lily has a 50’ tether line so she can chase the squirrels and crows. This summer the back yard is getting fenced.

I'm more concerned about multiple cats in a small RV, or apartment for that matter. I'm not a cat person, but I’ve read that they are territorial. Is it fair to keep them confined to such a small space? Cats and small dogs that do venture out of RVs are often killed by coyotes.

Also, some Class As have a cab over bunk that lowers down for use when parked.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #14

22 ft c. Three rescued greyhounds. Removed the dinette and added swivels to the cab seats. Have a Buena Vista add on room when needed. Not FT, but we do make it work. Depending on the trip, we have a toad or cargo trailer. We can bring two Euro recliners to use inside or outside...

We prefer two dogs as our limit, since we can then leave a recliner inside all the time, but we could not say no to a third dog, just saved from Macau...
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, dogs, full time, full timer