Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2017, 05:43 AM   #1

Cold Weather is coming to our area. What do we need to do to prepare our RV?

We're brand new Full timers and aren't sure what we need to do to prepare for the New Years Eve cold coming to Louisiana.

We're in an older RV, so it doesn't have the best insulation. I just filled up on propane, but the heat is on constantly.

The temperature is going to 18 degrees here and I'm not sure if the pipes will freeze or what to expect it to be in the RV. Anyone have any suggestions to survive the winter storm of next week?
BeyondBoundariesRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #2

The first question is what type of RV do you have? Sound like you might have to do a winterization of your plumbing at that cold, ie drain all the lines and tanks putting in RV anti-freeze and use water out of a portable container on the counter. I would say to get a backup to your propane for heat, because you know Murphy’s Law.
GaryMaryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMaryanne View Post
The first question is what type of RV do you have? Sound like you might have to do a winterization of your plumbing at that cold, ie drain all the lines and tanks putting in RV anti-freeze and use water out of a portable container on the counter. I would say to get a backup to your propane for heat, because you know Murphy’s Law.
I have a 1994 Fleetwood FlairClick image for larger version

Name:	13432.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	187116
Old 12-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #4

Drain your waste tanks before it gets below freezing. Disconnect your hose from city water and the RV. Let it drain too. Use your internal tank and run your heater and tank heaters if you have them. If your not sure if you have heat going into the areas in the basement where pipes run you may need to blow the lines out. If you can safely put an incandescent lamp in the basement storage that could keep that area above freezing. With your heat on keep cabinets open so warm air gets in there and hope for the best. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
We have a '93 Flair out at the ranch... get you some of those "blue" tarps @ Wally World,the longer the better width not so much and several rolls of GOOD duct tape or similar (Gorilla tape?) fold length wise to about 4' wide and make a "skirt" around the bottom of your coach, tape the skirt to the sides of the coach and use boards/bricks/whatever to hold the bottom to the ground. That way whatever heat leakage you have out the bottom of your coach will be contained and will help keep everything thawed out.( A couple of "heat lamps" on a heavy drop cord would help keep the underneath a bit above freezing if positioned near your plumbing & shower.
Dump your black & gray tanks and FILL your fresh water tank. (remember the heat lamp?)
Drain your sewer line and unhook and drain your fresh water hose
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
Drain your waste tanks before it gets below freezing. Disconnect your hose from city water and the RV. Let it drain too. Use your internal tank and run your heater and tank heaters if you have them. If your not sure if you have heat going into the areas in the basement where pipes run you may need to blow the lines out. If you can safely put an incandescent lamp in the basement storage that could keep that area above freezing. With your heat on keep cabinets open so warm air gets in there and hope for the best. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks
Old 12-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
We have a '93 Flair out at the ranch... get you some of those "blue" tarps @ Wally World,the longer the better width not so much and several rolls of GOOD duct tape or similar (Gorilla tape?) fold length wise to about 4' wide and make a "skirt" around the bottom of your coach, tape the skirt to the sides of the coach and use boards/bricks/whatever to hold the bottom to the ground. That way whatever heat leakage you have out the bottom of your coach will be contained and will help keep everything thawed out.( A couple of "heat lamps" on a heavy drop cord would help keep the underneath a bit above freezing if positioned near your plumbing & shower.
Dump your black & gray tanks and FILL your fresh water tank. (remember the heat lamp?)
Drain your sewer line and unhook and drain your fresh water hose
Looks like a trip to Wally World! Thanks
Old 12-29-2017, 03:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Something else, we bought a small radiant heater with a fan. Not more than ten inches high. It sets in the wet bay and is plugged into what ever power post we're by. I have found that with the bay closed up that little heater does a fine job keeping it warm.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Something else, we bought a small radiant heater with a fan. Not more than ten inches high. It sets in the wet bay and is plugged into what ever power post we're by. I have found that with the bay closed up that little heater does a fine job keeping it warm.
We do have a little heater with a fan. I'll try that too.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I don't think that the older Flairs had a "wet bay". Outside water hookup and sewer is exposed as well... IF I remember right.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
For how long do you expect the temperature to be below freezing?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I don't think that the older Flairs had a "wet bay". Outside water hookup and sewer is exposed as well... IF I remember right.
Yup everything is outside.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
For how long do you expect the temperature to be below freezing?
Just a few hours over night; for 2 nights in a row.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Insulate the windows. Reflectix (brand name) can be bought at Home Depot and Lowes, so can foam sheets that can be cut to fit into the windows sills.

There are "pillows" that are made to fit in the hole where the ceiling vents are. They pay for themselves IMO. I got mine on sale at Camping World for $10 each.

If you will be dealing with a lot of sub-freezing weather, a heated fresh water hose is a good investment.

With a family in an RV, you will have condensation problems. There is no way to stop this as you have to breathe, so you can only try to remove the humidity with a dehumidifier. I'm not talking about a bucket of Damp-Rid from Walmart. Wait to see how bad the condensation gets before you think about making this purchase, and in the case of a dehumidifier, bigger is usually better. You may find that you decide you aren't worried about it though.

In Idaho Falls last winter, I had ice frosting the windows inside and out. I had an electric heated fresh water hose. I ran the furnace for heat. I still froze up the plumbing a half dozen times on the nights that dipped below zero, and hat to apply a heat gun directly to the knife valves to dump sewage twice.

Since you didn't say where you were, more specific advice that might better match your situation could be given to help you get through winter better might not be given, and some of this advice might be overkill.

Tags
cold weather