Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #15

We mostly use prepared meals in bags and boxes. My DW has always hated cooking. But she can make some really good meals when she wants to. So most of the time Stouffers or Marie Callender do the cooking.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #16

So if I might ask more about this - when you speak of paring down your pots and pans, etc. are you mostly still using the ones you had before? Not only wondering about space but also the weight and trying to cut everywhere possible. I won't go without having one cast iron skillet but for the pots, at the Hershey show I happened across the booth for Nautical Scout. their collapsible pot with the metal bottom and silicone sides looked like a good idea for space and weight, but not cheap. Do you resort to doing much with things like silicone muffin pans etc for ease of fitting things in and the weight factor or just go with what you had? Thinking I miss not having my glass to bake in but it is not as practical. Thanks for all the info you have been sharing.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #17

I think it is more about space then weight...
Old 11-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Diana,

I have the same cookware that I had in my S&B, just fewer of them (much fewer - I had an excess).

In my opinion, an important part of full-timing is doing it in a way in which you are comfortable. In this case, that includes cooking the way you like, with the tools you like. Obviously, finding a way to balance everything is the difficult part.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_aplenty View Post
So if I might ask more about this - when you speak of paring down your pots and pans, etc. are you mostly still using the ones you had before? Not only wondering about space but also the weight and trying to cut everywhere possible. I won't go without having one cast iron skillet but for the pots, at the Hershey show I happened across the booth for Nautical Scout. their collapsible pot with the metal bottom and silicone sides looked like a good idea for space and weight, but not cheap. Do you resort to doing much with things like silicone muffin pans etc for ease of fitting things in and the weight factor or just go with what you had? Thinking I miss not having my glass to bake in but it is not as practical. Thanks for all the info you have been sharing.
We opted out of the dishwasher. In it's place we got three large pot drawers. We have a good selection of pots and pans, stuff that is practical and we use.

Not a big believer in some of the gimmicky things like metal bottoms and silicon sides. Especially if they are expensive.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We kept our stainless steel cookware getting rid of cookware is no way to reduce e weight. We also had a cast iron skillet and Dutch oven.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #21

Quote:
My wife took full advantage of the opportunity to outfit the coach kitchen from scratch, with a couple of very thorough trips to Crate and Barrel . Yes a few things migrated from the house, but mostly smaller utensils.

New Smaller cast iron skillet.
A couple new pots and pans, but nothing too big including a medium size le cruset porcelain lined pot that she uses for many things on the coach, where at home she would choose from various ones.
New blender and smaller cuisinart
Some nice place settings and "glassware" from C&B that are plastic, but did get a set of 4 glass wine tumblers too.
New coffee pot that fits nicely in one small corner of the counter.
New silverware and kitchen knives (I think one knife make it from the house)
Full stock of spices, etc.
She got a slow cooker, but I think she has only used it once; I'm just not a fan of what usually comes out of a slow cooker......
She is not a baker, so that wasn't really relevant to her.

Start with less, and add as you go along. Your never too far from a C&B, Target, or BB&B if you need something down the road.

Have fun with it!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stored the house stuff for the most part and bought a set of pots and pans for the motor home. Also a matching set of egg turner spatula, whisk, potato masher, big spoons and so forth. A friend we visited had a wood working shop so I cut and finished an oak strip with hooks to hang it all and mounted it behind the stove.
Along the way we added to our collection as she found new requirements. She got a set with a silicone muffin pan and other items. That was for storage ease.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #23

We kept our S&B pots and pans. The new stuff is so expensive and many have long or curvy handles and big handles on the lids. They'd take up more room than our old pots. Besides, we were used to cooking in our pots.

I guess it depends on what kind of room you have and if you have any weight issues with loading up your RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not a full-timer, but spend a lot of time in the RV and always have full meals for dinner, including appetizers. I see a lot of people saying they have a crock pot and we did too...until I discovered that our micro/convection oven had a "slow cook" setting. So now, we leave the crock pot at home and use the convection slow cooker...saves storage space and works great!
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We outfitted the coach kitchen from scratch. A small "mid quality" set of pots and pans, a set of melamine dishes - complete with a couple of serving pieces, stackable bowls (good for mixing, serving - complete with covers so leftovers can easily go in the fridge), a small block of knives, cutlery, a reasonable array of serving spoons, spatulas, tongs, etc. A small toaster oven, a small crock pot, a coffee maker, an electric skillet (DW insisted), a small "stick" blender and a Weber Q grill for grilling. Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons were gold!

When it's just the two of us - we set a complete table and pay a little bit of attention to "presentation". The only time paper plates enter the picture is when we're camping with larger groups. I've always enjoyed cooking - and now that I have more time, I'm enjoying it even more. DW and I do a pretty good job of splitting the kitchen chores - both in terms of cooking and cleaning.

We cook like we did when living at home - except now, we've got more time and get to enjoy making pretty much everything from scratch. After years of cooking for a family of four plus an endless parade of guests AND intentionally cooking large meals with an eye on having leftovers for the next day - the biggest challenge is learning to truly cook for just two of us with reasonable portions. We're getting better at it - but after feeding what seemed like an army for so long - it's definitely an adjustment, both at the grocery store as well as in the kitchen.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #26

Thanks to all for the input about cooking. I am probably thinking about this way too soon but I figure if I start purging now, by the time I'm ready I'll know what is really important. We have decided on a 5th wheel but still not sure how big. After reading what others do, I decided that I would like a convection oven, and crockpot, and do not want a dishwasher. The rest I'll figure out as I get closer. I did the first purge on my pantry. I have an older 1850s home with a walk in pantry. I should have taken a "before" picture to show that you couldn't even walk into the pantry. I have probably eliminated 1/2 of what was there but it's still a lot of stuff. Now if I can resist the urge to fill the empty space, I'll be doing good. I'll consider it like training for going fulltime. Thanks again everyone.
Attached Images

mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #27

Looking at your panty I think I see a big roasting pan and casserole dishes. Go to a store and measure a convection/microwave oven for interior space. Then you'll know if your dishes will fit, especially if there's a rotating disk in the oven - many oblong casseroles won't work

Big heavy mixing bowls aren't needed either. Go to WalMart & buy a nesting set of cheap plastic ones. Make sure they're deep rather than wide and they'll work just fine for mixing.

It looks like you have three different sizes of crockpots so eliminate two.

We have a crockpot/roaster that I've found to be an awesome appliance. It's great for a pork or beef roast without the crockpot liquid-type cooking.

Keep working on that pantry!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
I'm living almost full time in my motorhome while working a very demanding job. I think it is more the job that has caused my eating habits to change for the worse. I wanted to maintain an "at home" normal so I bought duplicates of the two pans I use when I'm at my sticks n bricks. They are heavy Calphalon. A skillet and a 2qt sou chef pot. The gas stove top in the motorhome isn't as hot so it takes longer to heat. Because space is at a premium, I don't have a lot of stuff I'd use to bake sweets or stuff I don't need. Am thinking about including my bread maker. And while it isn't about kitchen, I wish I had the w/d I have in my MH in my s/b. Small loads, no need to move laundry to the dryer.
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote