RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
So?

Unless you buy to make money (which only a fool would do) what's the problem. Cars loose money each year too. Do you fret about that? And houses can also lose money - ask anyone who lost everything during the Great Recession.

Disclaimer; I never even insinuated that I fret over having a MH. I fully intend to buy my dream MH in the next year. I just think that it's ok maybe even appropriate to call them a money pit. They lose money for their owners. I know that going in.

Most people need a car(s). Bad example.
Many (all of mine) real estate investments make at least some money over time. I intend to use this to get my MH. I may just have rent pay the MH payment if I get a good enough rate.

If I spend 100k on a used MH I expect it to be worth about 95k a year later.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Disclaimer; I never even insinuated that I fret over having a MH. I fully intend to buy my dream MH in the next year. I just think that it's ok maybe even appropriate to call them a money pit. They lose money for their owners. I know that going in.

Most people need a car(s). Bad example.
Many (all of mine) real estate investments make at least some money over time. I intend to use this to get my MH. I may just have rent pay the MH payment if I get a good enough rate.

If I spend 100k on a used MH I expect it to be worth about 95k a year later.
Yes that sounds about right. So? I'm glad you've always made money on real estate - though I bet you just looked at the purchase price versus the sale price difference, and didn't include how much you put into that property. We owned 5 different houses over 30 years. Made money on 3 lost money on 2 - all had to do with the economy of where we were living at the time. Lucky for us we sold our last house 3 years before the real estate bubble burst. Lots of people didn't have good timing.

Again, I fail to see what point you are trying to make. Do you really think people don't know that RV values don't decrease over time? And if that really bothers someone then they aren't good candidates for full timing.

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #31

Hi,
Actually I plan on doing the fulltime RV thing only for approximately 1 - 2 years during which time I will travel to states that are on my potential 'sticks and bricks retirement house" list , try actually living in those states for a period of time , checkout the real estate market ,as well as the local amenities, to determine which one I ultimately settle in.
Once I find the best retirement place, for me, I'll sell the RV and finish out life in the comfort of my new house. Thanks,Steve
Norvyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #32

Didn't read all of this but IMHO, worrying about return on investment and all that is pointless. Dreams aren't tangible, logical things and sometimes, the heart wants what the heart wants despite all the calculations.

Does that mean you make foolish decisions that will surely result in poor outcomes? Of course not, but it also doesn't mean everything needs to come down to some kind of math problem. But I get that some people need to boil things down to numbers too. Just don't let that determine your path.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #33

I am not planning on full timing in a 5th wheel to make money on my investment lol.. I am doing it because I LOVE the RV lifestyle, LOVE the high desert/low deserts! I have no children to leave anything to. I am doing all of this for me! I will be happiest when I retire being full time by myself and my kitty and puppy. I will LOVE taking hikes in the rock fields, and mountains/hills. If you are worried about $$ then don't do it. Boondocking can be VERY cheap. Last time I was out for two weeks with my buddy's 5th wheel it cost me two tanks of gas and the cost of someone emptying out my black/grey tanks. So for two weeks it cost me about $250 or so. I just brought food I already had in my house so I didn't have to shop or anything. So basically minus the gas and if I emptied my own tanks I would have spent ZERO. Sure, I would have to buy food, but if you are frugal, boondock, have your own solar energy you can pretty much go forever.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Pyropete, you have the right idea. Do it FOR YOU.
Blog
Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #35

A cost/benefit analysis on just about any endeavor in life, is a futile exercise in mental masturbation.

Owned an airplane, cost big bucks, loved every minute of it.

Scuba dove in most major oceans across the planet, cost big bucks, loved every minute of it.

Golfed at some really nice courses, some cost a bunch, equipment cost even more, loved every minute of it.

Hunting? Fishing? Fugettaboutit.

If money is the motivation, stay where you are, read books from the library, watch TV, walk your dog.

It ain't about the money, honey, it's about the freedom and experiences.

That's what I think!

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor2 View Post

That's what I think!
Damn, where's the LIKE button!
Blog
Old 10-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor2 View Post
A cost/benefit analysis on just about any endeavor in life, is a futile exercise in mental masturbation.

Owned an airplane, cost big bucks, loved every minute of it.

Scuba dove in most major oceans across the planet, cost big bucks, loved every minute of it.

Golfed at some really nice courses, some cost a bunch, equipment cost even more, loved every minute of it.

Hunting? Fishing? Fugettaboutit.

If money is the motivation, stay where you are, read books from the library, watch TV, walk your dog.

That's what I think!

It obviously takes a lot of $$ to live that life style. Most people don't live in that kind of fairy tail life.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norvyet View Post
Hi,
Actually I plan on doing the fulltime RV thing only for approximately 1 - 2 years during which time I will travel to states that are on my potential 'sticks and bricks retirement house" list , try actually living in those states for a period of time , checkout the real estate market ,as well as the local amenities, to determine which one I ultimately settle in.
Once I find the best retirement place, for me, I'll sell the RV and finish out life in the comfort of my new house. Thanks,Steve
Interesting plan. I do believe you have a plan that will work great for yourself.

Living temporarily in different locations will give you a good idea of what you like and donít like about an area you wish to settle in.

It may even give you the sense of freedom having a portable house gives.

Having both is not a bad idea either.

Good luck and it does sound as thou you have a plan . Go for it.

Best of luck in your search,

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
It obviously takes a lot of $$ to live that life style. Most people don't live in that kind of fairy tail life.

While those pursuits might be too costly for a lot of people, the basic message is not.

Me buying a telescope to look at the stars does not make sense on a cost/benefit sheet.

Buy RC helicopters does not.

buying my favorite sports team jersey instead of a regular shirt does not make sense either.

The idea is there are things we do for enjoyment that outway simply money.
Filthy-Beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
While those pursuits might be too costly for a lot of people, the basic message is not.

Me buying a telescope to look at the stars does not make sense on a cost/benefit sheet.

Buy RC helicopters does not.

buying my favorite sports team jersey instead of a regular shirt does not make sense either.

The idea is there are things we do for enjoyment that outway simply money.

A person can live anyway they choose as long as it's within their financial means. The only purpose of money is to make one's life comfortable. If you can afford a item, then great. If you can't afford a item and still get it, then that's a problem no matter the "Cost Benefit Analysis".

The OP questions RV life vs motel travel, that is more of a personal choice as each style has it's good and bad points. If you need to save $$ for life's later expenses, than that needs to be figured in.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #41

Hi,
Thanks for your response which was kinder and less judgmental than many of the others which missed the mark in my opinion.
Thanks
Norvyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #42

It's all about the dogs

igapaul is offline   Reply With Quote