RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #113

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
> It isn't just for full-time, but you were complaining about the fact that people who full-time were giving most of the suggestions.

Really ? Show me.
"Caveat: If you are full or half timing........comparisons are closer. But, for most of us, the RV just sits there.......at home."

[QUOTE]

> Should be obvious that the full-timing section would be full of full-timers.

I saw no sign identifying it as the "full-timing section"
Can you show me ?[/QUOTE}

Look up at the top of this page.
" iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers > Cost Benefit Analysis -- is it worth it ????"
Hmmmm

Quote:

> And as to your problems with parks - well you are the one who chooses them.

As explained, I don't "choose", as in research and reserve.....few advertise barking dogs.

When I get tired and want to park......I find one.....or get to Walmart, HD, or CB. Those folks are always considerate.
And yet, you complain that there are dogs pooping below your window while the rest of us are left to wonder at the places you pick to stop at? Now we've driven in to park and right out again when I could look and see it wasn't where we would want to be -- of course being on the road for 13 years does give one a chance to figure a few things out.

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a new class C Navion 24J 6 years ago. No, it doesn't save money on travel BUT
it is so worth it. We have our bed, bath and kitchen with us. The doggies (two 80 lb Akitas) love it, it's nice taking them with us. We can navigate and park almost anywhere. If we need a ride somewhere we Uber or rent.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #115

raku,
Yes -- you obviously have figured out the benefit for you and that is great. The huge number of responses posted have tended to hover around the cost portion of my question but few have stated with any real conviction or eloquence as to why the benefit justifies the cost. I suppose many have a hard time elaborating on the benefit side of the equation because it's so subjective as opposed to crunching the numbers. But I get it and all of the responses have helped me a great deal in deciding how I will pursue the future which is to say I will do the Fulltime RV thing as a means to an end -- travel and reside in various states on my wish list in the quest to find the one I think I would like to reside in permanently , sell the RV and buy a bricks and sticks to live in during the final chapter of my life.
Thank You for responding,
Steve
Norvyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #116

Our Calculations - i.e. What We Two Would Do!

Our Opinion: Camping is much more fun!

Truck-Trailer/RV/Motor Home - vs - Car/SUV

Travel/vacation senero: 4000 miles / 40 days = 100 miles per day avg.

TRUCK-TRAILER/RV/MOTOR HOME

1. Campsite: Once every 3rd day/night = 13 times @ $50 ea. = $650 [remainder... boondocking / camping on friends and family land]
2. Fuel: 10 mpg = 400 gal @ $3.50 ea. = $1,400
3. Mechanical Stuff: $2000 annual = $220
4. Insurance: $1,095 annual = $120
5. Meals: $30 a day for two = $1,200
6. Personal Stuff: $10 a day for two = $400

40 DAY - TRUCK-TRAILER/RV/MOTOR HOME COST: $3,990 = $99.75 PER DAY

CAR/SUV

1. Motel/Hotel: Every day/night = 39 times @ $100 ea. = $3,900
2. Fuel: 20 mpg = 200 gal @ $3.50 ea. = $700
3. Mechanical Stuff: $500 annual = $55
5. Meals: $60 a day for two = $2,400

40 DAY - CAR/SUV COST: $7,575 = $189.38 PER DAY
Old 10-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post

1. Campsite: Once every 3rd day/night = 13 times @ $50 ea. = $650 [remainder... boondocking / camping on friends and family land]

CAR/SUV

I love how you "worked" that comparison to favor Motorhome. I'd use it to convince my wife but she would ask a few questions like; You can't get hotels for less than a 100 dollar average? If you have the car at home already why do you include the mech/insurance? If you're going to see family in the motorhome why not in the car? $2400 to eat for 40 days?

You are right about this IMO; Camping (glamping) is more fun.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #118

Loose the gray hair left

Economics of RV vs No tell Hotel, condo rental, Air BnB is well all kinked up and as Spock or Data would say not logical.

If you really want to throw a wrench into such analysis consider ATV vs Jeep vs Dual sport vs HORSE! Now there is an economic conundrum worth wading into.

All said and done it is what it is, likes outpace utility in the value system and love is priceless.

Need vs Want, Decide vs Choose.

Eventually it is the

Just Do It Your Way,
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #119

Quote:

CAR/SUV

You forgot the cost of the trailer/RV/Motor Home in your calculation. Those things aren't free and should be included in the cost since you wouldn't be buying them if you're using a car/SUV and hotels. It's a legitimate added expense of RVing.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
You forgot the cost of the trailer/RV/Motor Home in your calculation. Those things aren't free and should be included in the cost since you wouldn't be buying them if you're using a car/SUV and hotels. It's a legitimate added expense of RVing.
For this calc, however, you need to add the cost of the house, property taxes, insurance, etc. to the hotel travel calcs. If we're talking about full time, it's quite possible owning an RV, vehicle and all the associated costs would be significantly cheaper than owning a home, a vehicle or two and all the associated costs.

For us, it's not just saving on hotels, dining out, etc., it's saving significantly compared to owning our home or even our apartment.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #121

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I love how you "worked" that comparison to favor Motorhome. I'd use it to convince my wife but she would ask a few questions like; You can't get hotels for less than a 100 dollar average? If you have the car at home already why do you include the mech/insurance? If you're going to see family in the motorhome why not in the car? $2400 to eat for 40 days?

You are right about this IMO; Camping (glamping) is more fun.
Answers -

Yes, you can get rooms cheaper but those are places that you know she wouldn't want to stay at unless she has taken up a new side job.

If you don't want to include mechanical for the car, then don't included it for the RV. After all the mechanical needs are because you are using the vehicle to get you from point to point on the trip.

We much prefer sleeping in our bed even when parked in family driveway. Private, we don't have to worry about noises from nighttime activity, etc. Especially if they have kids still at home.

Yes, $60/day for two people eating every meal out if on the west coast is not only realistic, it is probably two low. No we don't eat at McDonalds, etc. every day. Even just grabbing coffee/pastry at Starbucks is around $15.
Blog
Old 10-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Answers -

If you don't want to include mechanical for the car, then don't included it for the RV. After all the mechanical needs are because you are using the vehicle to get you from point to point on the trip.

Yes, $60/day for two people eating every meal out if on the west coast is not only realistic, it is probably two low. No we don't eat at McDonalds, etc. every day. Even just grabbing coffee/pastry at Starbucks is around $15.
The example I was referring to was for 40 days a year. There is no real additional expense for 40 days of automobile use IMO. Everyone has a car and adding 40 days of travel is not going to change much. Not much anyway.

You should try McDonalds coffee. It will save you money.

With all that said I can't wait until I get my "moneypit". I even watched a video on how a modern Newmar slide failed...... not skeered.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #123

Quote:

CAR/SUV

Regarding, the what we feel is realistic, quote above:

There are ways to work every $$$ category; up or down [that said - you can't get much lower than $$$ #'s in the quote]. I believe the $$$ #'s used are in line with lower costs in general

Coupled of mentions brought up by others' posts:

- Cost of RV should be included. > > > Well that is true if it's an expensive brand new or fairly new expensive RV that's depreciating by the day! However, if it's a relatively inexpensive vintage age, already depreciated RV that's in top condition and was purchased at low cost [such as ours] then the $220 I deducted as "Mechanical Stuff" for only 40 days of a trip should cover things. - I Hope!
- If 40 days [24/7] of meals for two at quality food restaurants while traveling by car can be had less than $2,400 > > > Then bravo on ya! We really do not like Big Macs or equivalent.
- $100 a night/day at hotel/motel was questioned as maybe a bit high. > > > It's low, if anything, for a place having any quality at all [we detest bed bugs!]. Staying in just a pretty good place can run over $150 faster than blink of an eye. And, if you want a really OK room - $300 per night is not out of the picture.

The way we see it: With a good ol' RV... 4,000 of traveling for 40 days can be done at $100 +/- a day. With an OK Car/SUV 40 days travel hits closer to $200 a day. Actual cost relies on many factors. That said... when we leave on our 40day, 4,000 mile jaunt in the RV we will do our best to stay in the $4,000 total cost range. If we were to leave for same trip in a car then nearly double that cost would need to be appropriated.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #124

Smile Cost benefit --- I get the cost , what about the benefit??

Hi All,
So far the vast majority of the responses have covered the economics side of my "Cost Benefit Analysis ..is it worth it" question fairly well and with ,what appears to be, a high passion for answering with numbers . The benefit side of the responses have been somewhat slim in ,my humble opinion, and surely there are better responses other than " get to sleep in my own bed, use my own toilet, hear birds chirp in the morning". Really ??? Come on folks, surely there are more compelling reasons for driving an aircraft carrier size vehicle all over the country???? I realize the benefit side of the equation is more subjective so get those keyboards clicking, think about it , and tell me what you think is the "real" benefit of going fulltime in an RV.....what makes it work so well for you.............
Thanks,
Steve
Norvyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norvyet View Post
Hi All,
So far the vast majority of the responses have covered the economics side of my "Cost Benefit Analysis ..is it worth it" question fairly well and with ,what appears to be, a high passion for answering with numbers . The benefit side of the responses have been somewhat slim in ,my humble opinion, and surely there are better responses other than " get to sleep in my own bed, use my own toilet, hear birds chirp in the morning". Really ??? Come on folks, surely there are more compelling reasons for driving an aircraft carrier size vehicle all over the country???? I realize the benefit side of the equation is more subjective so get those keyboards clicking, think about it , and tell me what you think is the "real" benefit of going fulltime in an RV.....what makes it work so well for you.............
Thanks,
Steve
Complete independence! Boondocking!! Own Residence 24/7!!! Cook outs!!!! Pride of RV ownership!!!!! Sitting outside watching sun set over the water or mountain!!!!!! Sitting outside under awning during day and reading or snoozing!!!!!!! Occasional visits with camping neighbors!!!!!!!! Always having appliances, bed, food in fridge, stove etc.!!!!!!!!!

Try having those feelings/capabilities in a car or SUV...... continually.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #126

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Complete independence! Boondocking!! Own Residence 24/7!!! Cook outs!!!! Pride of RV ownership!!!!! Sitting outside watching sun set over the water or mountain!!!!!! Sitting outside under awning during day and reading or snoozing!!!!!!! Occasional visits with camping neighbors!!!!!!!! Always having appliances, bed, food in fridge, stove etc.!!!!!!!!!

Try having those feelings/capabilities in a car or SUV...... continually.
Agreed. There is nothing like the feeling of independence that you get when you first head out, no ties to place, just the open road in front of you. The fun of taking the coin and flipping to decide which direction to head next, exploring out of the way place in comfort. Being stuck for 50 minutes in highway construction and being able to use the bathroom, get a snack, , etc. Being in my own bed, with my own pillow, using our toilet is not to be taken likely. Lots of RV parks have amenities like swimming pools to use in the afternoon, just like hotels. Cooking our own meals is a big, big plus, especially when dealing with dietary restrictions due to aging and chronic conditions.

But it you have to ask others why to do it, then don't do it. You can't base your decisions on others, you have to base it on your needs & wants.

Blog