Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #99

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
If cost is the only consideration..........it's a no brainer.

Hotels are bigger, more comfy, and cheaper.
(and you don' empty their black tanks)

If, however, you are going there.......wherever " there " is........for other reasons, and there are no TV sets outside, drunks partying, or dogs barking under bedroom windows..........by all means, spend your nest egg on an RV.

Caveat: If you are full or half timing........comparisons are closer. But, for most of us, the RV just sits there.......at home.
Well since this is the FULL TIMERS section .... duh!

Sorry you have such bad luck in finding great places to stay. Most of us don't have that problem.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #100

There are always 'cheaper' ways to live and/or travel. You have to decide what is right for your particular goals. With RVing, there is something for everyone, from the tents and teardrop trailers and VW Vans, to the multimillion dollar MH's.

You are an old facilities engineer, you can work on things. Taking your time, you will be able to fix nearly anything (I also am an old engineer, and learn more every year) Always something to fix, but many are not emergencies, and you can fix when ready to.

We have full-timed, going on 10 years now, yes, the RV will never be worth what it was when we bought it, but considering the cost of a house, had we bought one at that time, we might have more in equity, but much less in enjoyment. And there is nothing like living in a place for a month or two, to really get to know a place.

For us, we will just keep driving for as long as health allows (and we have figured out you can get health care wherever you go). This life isn't for everyone, but it works for us.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

Sorry you have such bad luck in finding great places to stay. Most of us don't have that problem.
I don'r understand how folks can't locate good place[s] to stay???

We aren't RV full timers nor even 1/2 timers. But, we are FUN Timers... with all our toys, whenever we're out n' about!

Not being able to locate a good place to stay in our RV would be similar to not being able to locate a good place to anchor our boat. If we don't favor the first location... we move onto the next, and the next etc... till a good place is found. Planning has a lot to do with it. Being able to keep on enjoying your times while "rolling with the flow of things"... also has a lot to do with it. In other words... don't sweat the small stuff; in the end it's all small stuff!

IOHOs' Boondocking plays a big part in being able to find good RV locals and good boat anchorages. We don't feel need to too often be hooked up to all the amenities of an RV camp site nor tied to a dock on our boat. That's why both those toys have all that is required for comfortable living wherever we stop. Taint no reason we can't last a week with no need to "hook up"; be it temporally of a bit longer.

Sure... for RV and/or boat there is need to get into locations where needs can be accommodated; such as, fuel, propane, waste dump, water, food, cloths washing, general shopping. That's day to day life... no BIG Deal!!!

Another thing that keeps us pliable for boondocking is that neither toy is too big. RV's a nice comfortable 25'er and boat's a 34'. If we were planning to spend many consecutive months or years in either without coming home then larger would almost surely be purchased.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #102

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Free2Go
Spreadsheet Analysis

Being a Type A guy, I too asked the question about traveling in an RV vs driving a car and staying in a hotel/eating at restaurants. There are lots of good answers to that question above, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.
I built a spreadsheet to figure out the financial cost/benefits. As a result, I found that buying a RV only makes financial sense if you drive it more than 6 months out of the year...that's when the line crossed over and the car/hotel/restaurants became more expensive. There are a ton of variables that can move that break point around. Mine considered a used RV.
We had a house for 3 years and traveled 6-9 months out of the year in our RV. After the 9-month trip we did another speadsheet and sold the house...we've been full-time 4 years and haven't regretted it. Like you, we've traveled most of our lives, so the transition was easy, but as pointed out, it's not for everyone.
Free2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
I don'r understand how folks can't locate good place[s] to stay???

We aren't RV full timers nor even 1/2 timers. But, we are FUN Timers... with all our toys, whenever we're out n' about!

Not being able to locate a good place to stay in our RV would be similar to not being able to locate a good place to anchor our boat. If we don't favor the first location... we move onto the next, and the next etc... till a good place is found. Planning has a lot to do with it. Being able to keep on enjoying your times while "rolling with the flow of things"... also has a lot to do with it. In other words... don't sweat the small stuff; in the end it's all small stuff!

IOHOs' Boondocking plays a big part in being able to find good RV locals and good boat anchorages. We don't feel need to too often be hooked up to all the amenities of an RV camp site nor tied to a dock on our boat. That's why both those toys have all that is required for comfortable living wherever we stop. Taint no reason we can't last a week with no need to "hook up"; be it temporally of a bit longer.

Sure... for RV and/or boat there is need to get into locations where needs can be accommodated; such as, fuel, propane, waste dump, water, food, cloths washing, general shopping. That's day to day life... no BIG Deal!!!

Another thing that keeps us pliable for boondocking is that neither toy is too big. RV's a nice comfortable 25'er and boat's a 34'. If we were planning to spend many consecutive months or years in either without coming home then larger would almost surely be purchased.

I have literally been driving friends 5'er Montana and see a dirt road off the main road and drive down it (as long as it's an open field, and not going to a home) and pulled down the road about 50ft and pull off to the side of the dirt road, climbed in back and slept until morning. I usually go with my buddy and we use campgrounds mostly but when I go full time I will literally just keep stopping wherever I see a large open space and a place to pull onto the road a bit. Only pitstops though, nothing for days or anything. I will use BLM land for the extended stays. Plan to do my first 8 months in Quartzsite AZ, then head up to the grand canyon and Utah, Moab, and Zion. Then back to Quartzsite for the winter.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #104

Free,
Thank you for your response -- I appreciate your observations and I have sort of made the same conclusion based on my research. at this time my overall plan involves going full time in an RV to explore the states where I would like to settle permanently and ultimately buy a stick and bricks that will be small but comfortable when I enter the golden years , can't walk or talk and the ambulance can find me quickly or the transport van going to the nursing home can handle me.
Norvyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #105

I have rv’d For nearly 40 years, and owned homes also. I see little difference, except some of that home maintenance is expensive too, ie: HVAC, Architectural Roof, Taxes, Painting, Taxes, Landscaping, Taxes, Mowing, and a new kitchen last year, not to mention the Taxes. My home is at the beach, RV on permanent site in the mountains, traveling from there. Best of both worlds and loving it. We spend in this life based on need, then want, according to our resources. Have fun, life is fleeting.
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dopp View Post
As a trained accountant, I actually did a cost-benefit analysis before buying our second RV. I compared the average cost of a hotel, plus fuel cost driving the car, plus estimated insurance and maintenance, plus 3 restaurant meals per day for two people to the cost of an RV (amortized over its expected life), plus fuel and maintenance, plus campground fees, etc.

What I came up with was the cost was comparable (RVing was $75 higher per month.) The totals were $1500 vs. $1575. Bear on mind, this was 12 years ago.

What was not included were certain intangibles. For example, I know who slept in my bed last night, I know who was using my bathroom, what kind of "maid service" were we subjected to, etc.

I gotta admit the intangibles swung the decision to RVing! We set a budget of $1500 per month and went aroving.

We traveled half time for 6 years, and have full-timed for the past 6 years. Over the entire 12 years, while RVing there have been fewer than 6 months where we exceeded our monthly budget. While the monthly expense has grown gradually over the years, for the past two years it's averaged just under $1200 per month, all in, all done.

The reality is not quite as horrific compared to the "horror stories". LOL.
I dont see where you funded Depreciation?
A major cost over ten years.
Even if your S.andB. held even over the 5 to 10 years.
Your funded depreciation cost is substantial.

My CPA includes this figure annually in our financial analysis.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #107

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

We traveled half time for 6 years, and have full-timed for the past 6 years. Over the entire 12 years, while RVing there have been fewer than 6 months where we exceeded our monthly budget. While the monthly expense has grown gradually over the years, for the past two years it's averaged just under $1200 per month, all in, all done.

Is that $1200/month ALL inclusive or just dealing with the costs of the RV? Because if that is all inclusive WOW. When you did your initial cost analysis what did you use for a nightly cost for a hotel? I have a feeling that my minimum requirements for hotel rooms would result in a significantly higher cost per night. Also curious as to what you figured for eating out all of the time. We notice that during the summer when we are on the west coast that our dining out costs go way up because it is so much more expensive than it is in the winter in the Phoenix area. Plus if you have any type of dietary restrictions it gets really hard. I would think the only way to do it would be to look at extended stay hotels where you could do your own cooking for much of your stay.
Blog
Old 10-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

Apparently, I missed the sign that said FULL TIMERS ONLY. I promise to be more vigilant, next time.

As a NON full timer, I do not "search" for places to say. Campgrounds are NEVER a destination for me. They are places to park, in comfort, while I exercise my LIFE on the road......to see and do other things.

It is normally the full timers that have miles of rope lights burning all night, outside TV's and stereos going, and need to take yappy fluffy and her three companions for a crap under my bedroom window at 0430.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Apparently, I missed the sign that said FULL TIMERS ONLY. I promise to be more vigilant, next time.

As a NON full timer, I do not "search" for places to say. Campgrounds are NEVER a destination for me. They are places to park, in comfort, while I exercise my LIFE on the road......to see and do other things.

It is normally the full timers that have miles of rope lights burning all night, outside TV's and stereos going, and need to take yappy fluffy and her three companions for a crap under my bedroom window at 0430.
No yappy fluffys, rope lights, or outside tv and stereo here.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #110

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

It isn't just for full-time, but you were complaining about the fact that people who full-time were giving most of the suggestions. Should be obvious that the full-timing section would be full of full-timers.

And as to your problems with parks - well you are the one who chooses them.
Blog
Old 10-20-2019, 12:59 AM   #111

> It isn't just for full-time, but you were complaining about the fact that people who full-time were giving most of the suggestions.

Really ? Show me.

> Should be obvious that the full-timing section would be full of full-timers.

I saw no sign identifying it as the "full-timing section"

Can you show me ?

> And as to your problems with parks - well you are the one who chooses them.

As explained, I don't "choose", as in research and reserve.....few advertise barking dogs.

When I get tired and want to park......I find one.....or get to Walmart, HD, or CB. Those folks are always considerate.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #112

Quote:
As a trained accountant, I actually did a cost-benefit analysis before buying our second RV. I compared the average cost of a hotel, plus fuel cost driving the car, plus estimated insurance and maintenance, plus 3 restaurant meals per day for two people to the cost of an RV (amortized over its expected life), plus fuel and maintenance, plus campground fees, etc.

What I came up with was the cost was comparable (RVing was $75 higher per month.) The totals were $1500 vs. $1575. Bear on mind, this was 12 years ago.

What was not included were certain intangibles. For example, I know who slept in my bed last night, I know who was using my bathroom, what kind of "maid service" were we subjected to, etc.

I gotta admit the intangibles swung the decision to RVing! We set a budget of $1500 per month and went aroving.

Dave, that is excellent! I do such analyses all the time and people just shake their heads, but if you don't run the numbers, how do you know?
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote