RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Currently in the early planning stages toward the FT life. My wife and I decided about 6 months ago that this is what we both wanted to do. We were married a little over a year ago, bought a nice house, and have spent every waking hour (and a LOT of $$$) doing *home improvements* and general maintenance. I looked at her one day and (jokingly?) suggested we sell everything, buy a nice 5th wheel, and go full timing. She asked how soon could we do that! We've already picked out our trailer; an Excel 33RSO or RSE Limited (already have the tow vehicle). We've already started selling some of our *stuff*, but still have lots to unload before we can get the trailer. We are aiming to purchase it sometime mid-late next year (2010). We plan to continue selling off stuff and living in the trailer on our property (one of our home improvements was to install RV hooksups for our truck camper). We'll continue selling our *stuff*, and see what the housing market looks like in early 2011. If it's decent, we'll sell our house and move into an RV park here in Albuquerque while still maintaining our jobs. If all goes well (e.g., we don't kill each other in such small quarters ), we'll quit our jobs in late summer of 2012 and head for places warmer before that winter! We're only around 50 and not eligible to actually *retire*, but I do have a small pension as a retired military person. I'm afraid that we would get bored if we totally retired, so we are both planning to continue working part time still (doing something we actually enjoy, with much less stress)! We don't plan on travelling extensively. More like snowbirding; the desert in the winter and the mountains in the summers. We can't wait for this to happen, but we still have a long way to go before we get there!

gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #16

We knew we wanted out of the big city as soon as possible. So we retired at 54years of age, back in 1991. We first thought that we would boat full time from our area of Puget Sound to Alaska or go RVing full time. It came close to a coin flip but decided to go RV full timing due to the 12 months of better weather, rain. The boat was my idea as I had been very heavy involved in SCUBA Diving, still am. Long story short, we bought a conversion bus before I retired. Retired and never looked back. That was in 1991.

Al & Janet
Semper Fi

Beep-Beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are sort of “accidental” full timers.
We didn't intend to full time, just wanted to take a three to six month trip around the country visiting friends and family and then find some warmer, cheaper place to buy or build a house.

We threw away stuff, gave stuff to places that could make use of it and distributed as much as possible to our kids.
We put all of the rest of our stuff in storage so we wouldn't have to go back to NH if the house sold quickly and it was still cold and yucky there.

The house did sell quickly (in a month) and we found after about a year that we were having so much fun traveling and having no ties to a stick house that we decided to keep on full timing. We traded the 96 motor home in on a new 2004 with a lot more CCC, storage space and two slides.

That was 7 years ago and so far we both love the life style. We intend to continue full timing until we get too old or too sick or too bored to do it any longer.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #18

Wife and I wanted to fulltime for about 8 years. High stress jobs all my life. At 48 had a heart attack. 1 year later (after my check up ) I gave the comany 6 weeks notice. Sold everything we did not need except the house. My wife always said I would never do it (workaholic). Sold the house 3 years later. That was 10 years ago. We both worked in Ca. in winter, Mn in summer. Still work summers. No plan to quit F. T.
freeisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #19

A quick note it took 4 or 5 days to convince my wife that I quit my job. You don't need the high priced new stuff to be happy,just take care of the things you have.One of the most interesting people I ever met, had traveled all over in a small older class c motor home,no car. She was very happy.
freeisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Planned it for about a quarter century. Finally did it.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've talked about it, off and on, for the last 25 years. In three months the first phase of our FT implementation plan takes place, I retire. My 'job' is then to sell two homes and divest ourselves of all the 'stuff' in them. I'll admit that this portion of the plan seems very overwhelming. Once that's accomplished the wife retires and we hit the road.

Believing in always having a backup plan, we did purchase an RV lot in a new development. If the economy keeps going south, or the gas prices keep going north, we'll still have a place to park it. Also, all good things will eventually come to an end. When the time comes that health, or finances force us to quit the full time lifestyle, we should be able to 'trade' the RV lot for that double wide in the sun.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife splits her time between our stick home in NC and wherever she may be contracted to in the RV. I visit her just about every other week. Every week one of us is going one way or the other. we have been doing this for 3 1/2 years now. The past year in the RV. Moving in & out of apartments every 3-6 months gets very old very quick. You may consider her FT.
Eventually we would like to both go FT. Our jobs would allow this without being retired. But we still have 2 kids (adults) at home. One in college & the other a recent tech school grad trying to get on his feet & keeping me company when the wife is gone. It is nice to have someone at home when she is gone. The big house can get very quite & lonely when there by myself. Then again some times I see my wife more than my son & she is 600 miles away.
My wife & I are very active outdoor people and have talked about full timing and volunteering in our great National Parks.
As some have said I too would have a hard time giving up my garage & shop where I restore cars & mtorcycles in my spare time. Keep trying to figure out how to take the tools with me. I need a BIIIGGGG trailer.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
My wife splits her time between our stick home in NC and wherever she may be contracted to in the RV. I visit her just about every other week. Every week one of us is going one way or the other. we have been doing this for 3 1/2 years now. The past year in the RV. Moving in & out of apartments every 3-6 months gets very old very quick. You may consider her FT.
Eventually we would like to both go FT. Our jobs would allow this without being retired. But we still have 2 kids (adults) at home. One in college & the other a recent tech school grad trying to get on his feet & keeping me company when the wife is gone. It is nice to have someone at home when she is gone. The big house can get very quite & lonely when there by myself. Then again some times I see my wife more than my son & she is 600 miles away.
My wife & I are very active outdoor people and have talked about full timing and volunteering in our great National Parks.
As some have said I too would have a hard time giving up my garage & shop where I restore cars & mtorcycles in my spare time. Keep trying to figure out how to take the tools with me. I need a BIIIGGGG trailer.
If you don't mind, what does she do for a living?
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
If you don't mind, what does she do for a living?
She is a traveling RN specializes in ER & ICU. She fills temporary positions when hospitals expect a heavier patient count than normal. Like when all the snowbirds go to FL. The one thing she will not do is cross a picket line or help a facility gear up for a strike. I am a union member myself & we both believe that the working people have a right to fair practice at the work place.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #25

Did I intend to Full time?

Yes! It led to my divorce after 30 years Now I'm living my dream.
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #26

I know this is an old thread, but being a newbie (Jan/2011) I loved reading all of the responses and thought maybe other new FTers would add comments if I answered too. DH and I have always planned on traveling the USA when we retired, but the FT part was never considered until we decided we were ready to do it...NOW. Actually Hubby took early retirement so we are out here earlier than anticipated. We've only been at it for a month, but I already know that this is what I want to do for as long as I am able to and God willing that will be a very long time.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #27

gdbontly,

Been thinking about FTing for (20) years. Crash of 2008 came. Walked in to work, retired, said goodbye. Wife retired. Cashed in her 401K(actually a 201k). Gave as much of house to kids, neighbor and Salvation Army. Sold house. Bought 2008 Winnebago Voyage, attached Toyota Tacoma and (27) months and $25,000 miles later it's the best decision I've every made, BUT ....... some advice for what it's worth.

1. It will cost you more than you planned because of the do dads you buy and most people are conservative on their planned budget.

2. I hope your wife is your best friend. An RV doesn't allow for a place to "hide".

3. Stop and smell the roses. There is is a lot of fun and adventure off the interstate.

4. Go to bed when you want and get up when you want. You're a FULL TIMER !!!!

Good Luck

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #28

We bought an old rustbucket MH a couple of years ago to see if we'd like RV camping.

We took off for a month last spring to see if we'd like RV living...and returned seven months later. We returned only to clear out and rent out the house.

I guess it took.

If the kids don't know where we are and can't call us (usually asking for something) at will, well, that's too bad. Mom's gone walkabout.

It wasn't planned; it just happened.

johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote