RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
What will you do years from now?

I'm curious. What do you plan to do when you are well into those senior years as far as full-timing? Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #30
laj

I know this is a very hard to pin down question
but how much of a nest egg should one start out with.
Have no ss, and no retirement pension, just small nest egg

laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I'm curious. What do you plan to do when you are well into those senior years as far as full-timing? Joe
Joe,

I planned well in advance that I wanted to full-time in a RV. Just wasn't sure which one or what size. I actually lived in mine for 5 years while still working before retiring and we are now traveling the North American Continent.

Regarding my health and the ability to drive and maintain the RV, I want to full-time travel as long as my good health allows me to and when it doesn't, I will cross that bridge when the time comes. There are other possible ways to continue using a RV for a home, just not the most mobile ones. My sister has a Park Model set up in Florida and a mobile set up at the Thousand Islands in New York. They spend 6 months at each place.

Where there's a will, there's always a way. I just wish I had quit work earlier but by working the extra five years it allowed me to buy the 40 foot Monaco versus something smaller that would be less comfortable to live in.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
So many great questions and equally great answers...I will add my .02...
We started full timing because we both enjoy the RV lifestyle. I guess there is just something to be said about loading up the slinky, the water hoses, and going wherever you want to go...

As far as age...we have a long time until that bridge appears...another reason why we decided to do this now while we can fully enjoy it. When it stops being enjoyable...we'll settle down again or figure out another adventure.

As far as money...we didn't have anything saved when we went full time. Nothing at all!! We have actually been able to save money and start investing SINCE we went full time.

It's been said and I'll say it again...where there's a will...there's a way!! You just have to face it as a team!!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Where there's a will, there's always a way. I just wish I had quit work earlier but by working the extra five years it allowed me to buy the 40 foot Monaco versus something smaller that would be less comfortable to live in.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Our original plan was to work for another 10 years then retire. Last year we nixed that plan. Since the economy tanked, it helped us decide it's now or never to live our dream. I bought a used gas motorhome in July 2010 and spent a few months reconditioning it to like new condition. I have absolutely no regrets concerning our decision to full-time. No, I don't have as much money as I would like to have, but keeping my sanity was more important then earning more money. The corporate environment I was working in was getting too stressful for me to handle anymore.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #34

Also, as far as age goes, our short time full-timing made us about 10 years younger. Far more exercise and far less stress does that. We're really looking foward to full-timing again; starts this Friday!
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had lived overseas for many years before retirement, and had already decided we wanted to see our own country by RV, so we researched, studied, came to the U.S., bought a house and a 5th wheel, and a truck, which was all waiting for us when we retired and came back to the U.S. We moved my sister into the house, got in our rig and hit the road. That was late 1997. We never moved into the house. We had no idea we were full timing until about 5 years later when we suddenly realized it. So far, although we have changed rigs, we see no reason to stop. We never acquired a lot of "stuff" throughout our military and civilian careers, because of all the many moves, etc., so maybe we did not have the issue of giving things up that many folks have. We are still having a great time, and we will deal with having to hang up our keys when it comes. We are already keeping a close eye on park models, to see if that may be our choice. This is the best time of our lives!!

Jim
Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #36

The original plan was to full time on board. We started with a small houseboat and lived on board for a couple years. We loved it, fishing, boating, and home all in one package.

We acquired a sailboat and I got a job in a marina that provided housing. After 8 years I was laid off when new management came in. We went back to the houseboat for a while, I was recovering from some medical issues and the houseboat was great.

Eventually we went back to sticks & bricks for a few years. But after the stupid move buying a mobile home sight unseen 1700+ miles away we figured out that we want to be mobile. We bought a used Dolphin and love her.

We've got family and friends all over the country and if we can find work camping close we'll be able to travel and visit everyone. I think this makes much more sense than cruising on a sailboat would, especially with 4 dogs and a cat. Again, we can stay home and go somewhere!
Fanciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the grand plan was for us to hit the road and stay on it til we decided to buy another 'nest'. Then I was told that I had stage 2 bladder and stage 2 prostate cancers and that helped make the decision. I am doing my dream and have been for over two years. Original Doc said I had a max of two years. I beat it. Lost the women but got a great dog. Will not stop seeing America. Don't do what so many do and put off what you have dreamed about.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #38

Full timing

My husband and I are getting ready to full-time in June and I have started to thin things out.
Any advise?
What do I really need. I know I have way to much stuff but am having a hard time deciding what stays and what goes.
Thanks for your help.
Ann
vollzeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I've actually lived in a travel trailer a few months here and there simply because it's nearly impossible to find a rental when you have two or three dogs. Every vacation I've taken has renewed my longtime dream to travel and really see the country on two lane roads versus interstates. I've set the date, August 6th 2012 and started saving every penny towards that dream. I will have to work and plan on doing some workcamping and a little pet grooming (my trade) and artwork (my hobby) to make it last as long as physically possible. I just celebrated my 50th birthday and have heard too many people say "I wish I would have". I go to sleep every evening by mentally going from room to room in my current home deciding what absolutly must go with me, I find it relaxing for some reason. The insane part is that I plan on attempting this solo (except for the dogs) and pulling a sixteen foot trailer. I can't wait!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #40

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollzeit View Post
My husband and I are getting ready to full-time in June and I have started to thin things out.
Any advise?
What do I really need. I know I have way to much stuff but am having a hard time deciding what stays and what goes.
Thanks for your help.
Ann
Hi Ann, Welcome to irv2!
I read your post and got a chuckle. I keep finding more and more things that we don't really need. We pretty much sold any and all "stuff" that was just to look at or reminisce about. (It's a long process) I am a tool hoarder and DW is a book and paper hoarder. These were our most difficult areas. We have about 4 large plastic storage containers left that we are still trying to thin out, then we will need to find somewhere (a relative?) to store a couple of containers for us. Everything else is on board with us. We are getting ready to go back through the RV head to toe to purge anything else we can find that is not absolutely needed. As long as DW doesn't tell me to get rid of my stuff, I won't tell her to get rid of her stuff.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #41

iRV2 No Limits Club
For over thirty years, when camping, my wife would say: I could do this forever. I don't want to go home."

On June 15 2006, she go her chance. Sold/gave away everything. Moved onto our Travel Trailer and haven't looked back yet.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #42

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Have been wanting to full-time since '86 when camped cross country in a popup. In '06 bought the lot in a recreation club and put the new popup that we purchased in '04 on it and traveled when we could and spent weekends in it when we couldn't travel. At the end of last summer we bought the 5th and will travel full-time in about two years. Bought the iPad to replace the library and gave children the "nice" stuff. Have a shed to keep the must have tools in. We'll summer here, winter somewhere warm and travel spring and fall. DH is retired, but I have a couple more years yet to work - just enough time to pay off some big ticket items and we are good to go. Being on iRV2 makes me wish it could happen sooner. If it don't fit in here or the shed, we don't need the whatever it may be. Following our dream, sooner rather than later.