Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #15

Do you nay sayers have fire insurance on your homes ? How about collision ins on your rig, or health insurance. Today's motorhomes have over a thousand component groups, if your rig is 99% trouble free that still leaves a lot to pay for. I've had my warranty company lay out several thousands on my "almost new" Newmar, jacks, driveline, fan clutches, roof ac and computers. I can guaranty that the manufactures know when component failures start to occur and end their warranties just before. I'd hate to advise my friends not to get a warranty then watch them pay through the nose. Kinda like the guy in the $400,000 coach bitching about not being able to park for free on someone else's blacktop.
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwally
Do you nay sayers have fire insurance on your homes ? How about collision ins on your rig, or health insurance. Today's motorhomes have over a thousand component groups, if your rig is 99% trouble free that still leaves a lot to pay for. I've had my warranty company lay out several thousands on my "almost new" Newmar, jacks, driveline, fan clutches, roof ac and computers. I can guaranty that the manufactures know when component failures start to occur and end their warranties just before. I'd hate to advise my friends not to get a warranty then watch them pay through the nose. Kinda like the guy in the $400,000 coach bitching about not being able to park for free on someone else's blacktop.
Sure we have insurance for total loss or accident, but for a roof air, no. Do you have replacement warranties on all of your appliances in your S&B? Most people will get very little back, but if you would rather pay someone else instead of self insuring for small items that's your choice.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
I'm sure it has been great for $50. But you do realize that for most people we are talking several thousands of dollars. And Bob, would that still be that good if you had paid the full amount of $8000? Or would putting that $8000 in an account and adding some to it each month covered not only repairs but also maintenance along the way, including new tires at 7 years and new batteries at about 5 years out? Plus you can pay to replace things BEFORE they break - - which no extended warranty (well really a limited repair contract) will do.

Barb
Barb - I do. We actually came across the original paperwork, which gave us sticker shock. That being said, for what they cover, we might also plunk down a similar amount because of the coverage & the zero hassle we have had with claims -(if they even offer an extension.)

I also appreciate the idea of putting that money into savings or an investment account. Then it's a willpower thing to 'forget' you have it! It's a decision that will be different for each fulltimer, along with the year and condition of the rig.
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Most people don't have them, the service policies (not "warranties) are contracts. They spell out what is or isn't covered. They are written by smart attorneys to maximize profits for the insurance company, not to benefit the buyer. Also, the selling dealer usually makes 50% of the price you pay.
We've had three, never had anything break that they would cover. Figure we're about $5,000 down.
Consumer Reports also says not to buy them.
Take the money, put it in the bank, if you need repairs then you have the money, if you don't need it you still have the money!
I agree w/Mr_D. I have never liked these policies for anything. My DW occasionally suggest getting one for something and I've always talked her out of it; but, she was right one time and ended up costing us more for the repair. Regardless, suggest you set aside some money each month so you have the cash available when you might need it.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #19

BarbaraOK - If I had paid the full 8,000 for my policy I would still be approx 8,000 ahead. We have had many repairs in the last two years and our insurance has paid all without complaint. Almost all the problems were due to an idiot previous owner who fixed nothing and then he and his wife repeatedly lied about it.

I buy extended warranty based on my estimate if it will be a good investment or not. All cars I buy get warranties. I bought one of the supposedly World's most reliable cars a 2002 Honda Accord. I had a motor mount, alternator, and transmission replaced by the extended warranty. And by the way I am a very conservative driver that gets ever service done. On the other hand I do not buy warranties on most electronics.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #20

I do not believe in service contracts for anything. They are overpriced IMHO. I read horror stories about the service contract companies weaseling out of their obligations to cover a breakdown. I
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
A big but fading part of my business is selling service contracts. Profit margin ranges from 50% to 100%:
As a result of this lousy economy, many companies are not renewing their service contracts.

This has all ready resulted in me having to work for a living, and may put me out of business
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
Alpine aluminum radiator

Has anyone had radiator leak problems who have a U S Warranty policy?
We have an 06 Alpine with major radiator failure and are having heated discussions with insurance coverage. Cummins NW in Pendleton is doing the work with their radiator supplier doing the repair or replace portion. US Warranty is claiming that dealer recommendations are to drain radiator every two years. Without proof of that, NO Coverage! Anyone have any similar tales or suggestion? Leak is NOT due to coolant.
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
FMCA/ACA/SoCAL/NoWACA
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
This is a loaded question as you've already seen. We bought an extended warrenty when we initially purchased our MH & it sure did help out the first year (we had many smaller issues in our first year during the "break-in" period for our Motorhome). In our 2nd year we haven't had any use for it -> everything we've done has been below the deductable. My personal feeling is that most of the major "bugs" were worked out of the home in the first year and it probably doesn't make sense having another warrenty going forward (ours expires this year). I have a few more months to decide, but more than likely we won't renew at this point.