Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennish2024 View Post
How do you put 1/2 load on the generator during winter storage? (in cold weather).

Charge the batteries. Can drain them some with lights, tv, etc. Fridge (if electric) and floors if electric will also but quite a bit of demand on electric.

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I'd be looking for another park!

Not gonna do that. We are in Chula Vista at the RV Resort. Checking out 2/1 (last day it is open). Plus, if we roll to another park, then we have solved the issue of running the systems anyway. We have to move spaces on 12/30, so I will probably just take a spin down I-5 for a few miles next week and then come back. Not really a big deal.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #17

Just run your Genny when your neighbors are away.
Live dangerously
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There ya go !

If the staff say anything ....."Yeah, that darn AGS has a mind of it's own sometimes"
Old 11-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Just run your Genny when your neighbors are away.
Live dangerously

Just might try that.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
On the other hand, you've ask the park, they said no.
Now it would seem to ME that they would be within their rights to ask you to leave if you broke a rule when they have already reinforced to you that they want it followed.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #21

Around the start of every month this coach gets driven for a bit. Taking on a few gallons of diesel, and,or propane. Systems are exercised, as are the drivers, tires, transmission. Generator runs once a month too.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Ours is in storage for the winter as we are in our Park Model. We go over about every 6 weeks or so and run the generator to bring the batteries up. At about 3 months of our 6 month stay, we drive across Phoenix and have her annual maintenance done and then drive her back. Otherwise, she is buttoned up for the winter.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #23

We take her for a drive once a month. If I was in snow country I wouldn't, because of the salt.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Perhaps but all I can say is that our coach sat for months and these things seized up. The alternator is 6 years old. Kind of thinking if I started the engine occasionally it may have prevented these issues but like you said it doesn't happen to everyone.....I feel so lucky and blessed
Consider yourself lucky it happened while it was parked otherwise it would have happened while you were driving it and it would have been a $500 tow bill at least
Not to mention the added Hazard of being broken down on the side of the road
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #25

Respectfully, this is just one reason that I went with a Fiver and my One Ton Diesel. The Diesel is exercised daily as engines perform best when they are "run" and also what they were designed for...not to sit in mechanical "coma's" for weeks and months at a time. If my TV begins to have any issue, it most likely will be noticed while I'm out on one of my daily jaunts and I'll be able to correct it before adding several tons to my rear end.

As we all know, MH's are extremely complex machines with multitudes of systems that can and do fail on a seemingly regular basis...most of which result in deepwater dives into the wallet for large sums of money to pay the bill. Of course this does not include the very real issue of the inconvenience of losing your home also for possible days or weeks and having to explain to fluffy why her nice comfy bed is "in the shop"!

I have very good friends that decided to move from a very nice DP to a new Fiver and TV for this very reason. Their entire summer was basically ruined by unforeseen issues and large financial expenditures for various spontaneous breakdowns. My friend is highly intelligent and is totally focused on maintaining his equipment in tip top shape SO negligence IS NOT a factor here.

DP's are beautiful for sure but most of my DP friends are constantly talking about having to get this or that fixed or in the shop before they can move on...and of course complaining about the cost. As for me and mine, I'll take the hopefully more simple life.

Happy and Safe Travels to ALL of my fellow RV'ers!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennzz05 View Post
Consider yourself lucky it happened while it was parked otherwise it would have happened while you were driving it and it would have been a $500 tow bill at least
Not to mention the added Hazard of being broken down on the side of the road
Maybe I wasn't so lucky. My surpentine belt ripped off while driving got towed to a facility to replace the belt. Drove two hours to campground sat 2 months then drove home one hour and sat 4 months. Started coach and the surpentine belt ripped off immediately and the alternator was seized so perhaps it did seize up while driving I don't know.

Now until I can get to a repair shop i have to release the tensioner and put a rachet with heavy force to loosen alternator up in order to be able to drive the coach.

We are looking forward to getting a travel trailer that can sit with little issue.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I'd be looking for another park!
Agreed. My generator is not any louder than running both of my roof AC units.
It is definitely more quiet than an idling diesel pickup.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #28

Don't ask for permission just wait for the right moment to run the Genny like when there is some near by noise such as a lawnmower. Your Genny will blend in unnoticed.