Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Hmm, I didn't do that and based on the process I don't think most people do that. Financing my RV was basically the same process as financing a car. They asked me if I had a mortgage, if so how much was the payment, etc. just trying to determine debt/income ratio, checked credit got approved, done. The collateral is the RV just like a car. You can deduct the interest as a second home though since it has bath/kitchen, just like a boat.

Looking at current home equity rates they seem about the same as the rate I got on the RV loan, low 4's, not sure why I would want to leverage the house if I don't have to, not that the house has much equity after the crash, just now getting back above water..
The topic here is about getting a loan, for a RV without owning a home.
A home equity loan when we bought was the lowest rate I could get.
The ultimate goal for anyone , is to acquire the lowest interest rate for borrowed money. If the rates are the best in home equity loan when I am buying something, it does not matter to me if my home is used as collateral, I plan on making the payments.
We go where the best deal is offered..............
Have you read the entire thread?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
The topic here is about getting a loan, for a RV without owning a home.
A home equity loan when we bought was the lowest rate I could get.
The ultimate goal for anyone , is to acquire the lowest interest rate for borrowed money. If the rates are the best in home equity loan when I am buying something, it does not matter to me if my home is used as collateral, I plan on making the payments.
We go where the best deal is offered..............
Have you read the entire thread?
Yes I did read it and if this thread is just about getting RV without a home then whats saying those that have a home get equity lines, why are you saying you need a house for collateral?

I honestly can't remember if the loan application asked if I owned a home, I know it asked if I had a mortgage, they seemed to have no interest in how much my house was worth or appraised for, they just wanted to know if my income would support the loan payment along with my other obligations.

Again the loan is like a typical car loan, the RV is the collateral. My house has very little equity to come after yet they still gave me an RV loan. This seemed pretty typical when going through the loan process at Lazydays.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes I did read it and if this thread is just about getting RV without a home then whats saying those that have a home get equity lines, why are you saying you need a house for collateral?

I honestly can't remember if the loan application asked if I owned a home, I know it asked if I had a mortgage, they seemed to have no interest in how much my house was worth or appraised for, they just wanted to know if my income would support the loan payment along with my other obligations.

Again the loan is like a typical car loan, the RV is the collateral. My house has very little equity to come after yet they still gave me an RV loan. This seemed pretty typical when going through the loan process at Lazydays.
I didn't...........it is a word used when one has a home equity loan, Leverage a home as you put it. Folks that are full time are challenged to get a low interest rate on a new RV without owning a home is all that has came up here, and I have read about it on here before. Glad you did not have any loan problems with your new purchase, and you got a good/satisfied rate, without asking about your home.
Others have not been so fortunate.........
Edit: I did make reference to that back in post#7........
Old 01-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #18

Quote:
I didn't...........
Quote:
We all know what they are looking for when they ask that question.........Collateral to back their money they are lending
Am I misreading what you posted, looks like your saying they ask if you own a home for collateral purposes and they would want an appraisal.

Quote:
As you can see Randy, financial institutions don't just want the RV title to secure the loan........the ones that will, is at a higher interest rate.
Again are you saying you need a house or other asset to secure a loan and the RV will not suffice? This was not my experience, I know for a fact my house is not collateral for my RV loan.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Am I misreading you posted, looks like your saying they ask if you own a home for collateral purposes and they would want an appraisal.

Again are you saying you need a house or other asset to secure a loan and the RV will not suffice? This was not my experience, I know for a fact my house is not collateral for my RV loan.
If you re-read this thread(Link/s included), I am not the one having trouble getting a good rate for a loan on a new Coach
Other's have..........
Old 01-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #20

Quote:
If you re-read this thread(Link/s included), I am not the one having trouble getting a good rate for a loan on a new Coach
Just trying to make sure they don't get mislead with inaccurate information, such as needing a house for collateral by sharing my loan experience.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Seems the words "Primary residence" for full timers is where the problem starts when trying to borrow money...........
Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #22

Do you own your home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
When filling out credit forms a typical question is do you own your home. As full timer with no S&B what do you say? Unless someone in/with authority tells me to say otherwise I plan to say yes. IRS allows interest on RV as second home or vacation home. I live in it and it is my home.

Answer: I can't lie. I would say no.
If you have other assets, they should do fine if they meet the need of the lender. If the lender will allow the value of your RV as collateral, good, but it may be based on the projected value at the end of the loan term. The only thing left is positive cash flow.
If not, no go.
That's it.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Seems the words "Primary residence" for full timers is where the problem starts when trying to borrow money...........
As it was explained to me by the credit union we went through for our full timer loan, it's as simple as, they have more risk. There is no "physical address" to find you at if they need to. That is the only issue with not owning a S/B and getting an RV loan. It's not that big a problem, you just need to understand you have to pay a bit more interest for the higher risk they take. It has nothing to do with home equity for collateral.
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote