RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #1

Smile Doctor visits while living all over the place

How do you keep prescriptions renewed when full timing and living all over the place. Do you use 411 Urgent Care or something like them? It would be hard to keep changing doctors.

Sincerely,
Robert and CJ

robtcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #2

My wife just returned from flying home to see her doctors. As for prescriptions my company makes us use fulfillment Rx carrier (CVS) for any prescription over 1 month so she just contacts them and sends it to a store close to where we will be. The only issue so far with that is they WILL NOT send prescriptions to California. We are going to have to wait until we are out of the state to get them delivered to a store. That's weird, but so is most of Cali, right?

Old 04-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We always made a big circle, so to speak, so that we saw our primary care physician once a year. Used Urgent Care facilities a couple of times for short term illness. All maintenance meds are ordered through ExpressScripts and we get 90 supplies sent to wherever we are. We have used Walgreens for some 'refrigerated' items and never had a problem with getting them at a nearby Walgreens in California.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, and welcome! You’re in the right place.

For Rx service, use any of the large retail pharmacies with a national presence: Walmart, Walgreen, CVS, etc.. If you must use the mail method, have it sent to whatever campground you’re in, or if traveling, pick a location where you’ll be and have the RX sent to General Delivery at that P.O.

As for Dr visits, we coordinate appointments with family visits or, as Barb mentioned, use a local clinic or ER where necessary.

If you deal with any top tier controlled drugs there may be some inconvenience from time to time, but we have yet to encounter an insurmountable problem.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

Once you have a prescription it's easy to get them renew as you travel by using WalMart, Walgreens, etc. It's all in a universal computer.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We basically do the same and see our regular doc every 12-18 months and if need be then see some one where we are if an emergency.

Scripts are nationwide (we use CVS) and just get refills locally every 90 days.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
We use Walmart and have NEVER had an issue.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Doctor visits while living all over the place

Talk to your normal physician about your lifestyle and needs
I return “ home” for my annual physical and get my scripts and pick them up every 3 months mail order ( check with the park to make sure they will accept it before .. some won’t) or cvs Walmart etc whosever accepts your plan and in national database with their stores

There is a problem if you are on Heavy narcotics (schedule one) that require a monthly dr visit .. it will most likely be a show stopper to extended travel
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:43 AM   #9
tcg

We're not full timing yet but I ain't leaving my cardiologist.

He saved my life once, knows my heart inside and out, is very aggressive at treating me and the head guy at my favorite hospital.

I will come back to see him whenever he says or if I feel the least bit of trouble. I'll fly back home if need be.

Emergencies of course will be to the nearest hospital but the second call my wife makes is to his cell phone.

Routine aches, pains, cold or flu I'll just pull into any clinic but my heart belongs to only one doctor.

We can also get prescriptions anywhere just by transferring or having my doctor call them in to wherever we are.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:06 AM   #10

ThomB,

We may be force to use CVS in the future for our 90 day RX. Are you saying they don't have a national data base so you can't just stop in at a CVS and pick up your prescription? Or that 90 day RX is filled at a central location and then shipped to a CVS near you? Just want to be prepared for the future. Thanks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
ThomB,

We may be force to use CVS in the future for our 90 day RX. Are you saying they don't have a national data base so you can't just stop in at a CVS and pick up your prescription? Or that 90 day RX is filled at a central location and then shipped to a CVS near you? Just want to be prepared for the future. Thanks
The prescriptions that my wife is on are injetables and through the CVS "Speciality" Pharmacy. She normally calls and has them shipped to the nearest location. They will only give a 1 month supply at a time and they need to be refrigerated so we're good with that considering we have a small fridge. Normally we will look up a location near where we are and that's fine and all is well. She really doesn't have any 3-month supply prescriptions but it's pretty much the same with those.

We did find that they are not (for some reason) permitted to ship this medication to one of their stores inside of Cali so we will be waiting until we are on the outbound trip to pick the refill up at a location in Las Vegas.

From experience the 3-month supply to me is a real PITA. It seems that she's always calling the doctor to confirm or send the prescription to the pharmacy even though the prescription was for a year but I'm not sure if that's because the meds or something else.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
We use Walmart and have NEVER had an issue.....
we are on uhc, walmart pharmacy is on their list. wherever we go, walmart is always there. (plus some free overnight parking, isn't walmart cool?).

seeing drs is another issue. we see our drs once a year. if need be on the road, urgent care, though we have not really seen one yet.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
From experience the 3-month supply to me is a real PITA. It seems that she's always calling the doctor to confirm or send the prescription to the pharmacy even though the prescription was for a year but I'm not sure if that's because the meds or something else.
Sounds like the physician isn't giving 3 refills with the script. Just a 90-day script, but requires checking in before giving a new one. Some physicians are like that - thankfully, ours just send off scrips once a year for 90 days pills with 3 refills and Express Scripts ships them wherever we want them delivered.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Talk to your normal physician about your lifestyle and needs
I return “ home” for my annual physical and get my scripts and pick them up every 3 months mail order ( check with the park to make sure they will accept it before .. some won’t) or cvs Walmart etc whosever accepts your plan and in national database with their stores

There is a problem if you are on Heavy narcotics (schedule one) that require a monthly dr visit .. it will most likely be a show stopper to extended travel
Im preparing to go FT and am a chronic pain sufferer. My pain Dr said i can come back every 3 months for a check up and scripts for narcotics. Or..find a pain Dr where ever you plan on wintering. Thats my plan because there is no way i will come back to IA in the winter.

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace