Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
I talked with a dealer here in California and was told that California requires that any veh. sold to be registered out of state MUST be delivered out of state by a professional delivery driver and that California may require proof of out of state residence such as 3 months utilities bills.

Also, CA requires a street address and will not accept a P.O box.
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As to your original question about Alternative Resources... the long list of thumbs up you've received above includes some of our more knowledgeable and senior members so they know what they're talking about.

We went a different direction and used Escapees in Texas which is also popular.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
I use America's Mail Box in Box Elder SD which is right next door to Rapid City SD. My reason's for using SD as my home address are no state income tax, low cost vehicle registration, 3% sales tax on vehicles minus what you already paid, no property tax on vehicles, no hassle driver's lic. no vehicle inspections required, good service from America's Mail Box. A lot of full time RV'rs use SD, truckers, merchant seaman, those who are on assignment in foreign countries and military to name a few. Why pay high taxes and fees when you aren't using the services of the state? When I visited them there were lots of folks stopping in at their office getting their driver's lic. plates for their vehicles and voter registration done. So it is very popular with those of a certain nomadic lifestyle.
One thing I didn't mention is the health care provider issue. Check that you can keep and or transfer your health care to where ever you pick. Some insurance companies are picky and some state retirees have to use the system in their state and no other. "Its Complicated" so double check. Medicare, VA and federal retires don't have a problem (as far as I know). I'm on medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield and because I'm on a federal retiree contract with BCBS they had to take me if I had been on a different BCBS program they would not.
So a word to the wise check and double check.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #18

We have used My Home Address in Emery, SD for 6 years with no problems. They are always friendly & helpful. We considered FL and TX, we usually stay in the midwest & west so FL was not an option. TX requires a fee for bringing vehicles out of state and an inspection every year. While the inspection can be delayed we don't go to TX every year either. SD was our best option, we just returned this year to renew our dr license, it was easy with the correct paperwork. They have smaller dmv offices, no waiting. Insurance was also cheaper in SD, auto and health.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We used Alternative Resources for over three years now. We LOVE THEM!!!! aside from all the thumbs up you've already seen, Alternative Resources is located right next to a SD Drivers License Office - very convenient.
Alternative Resources is located within Minnehaha County of SD. It is one of the few counties within the state that will allow you to be "exempted' from Jury Duty - as a RV'er! You'll still receive a notice, if your "selected", but as a Full Time RV'er, you will be excused automatically....
And you wonder why we love South Dakota!!!!
Seriously, ask that question to any other Mail Forwarding Service in South Dakota. Not all of them are in as friendly a county within the State!
Paul Eidsness and his staff at Alternative Resources work really hard to be sure everything is done to your liking - refreshing in today's world!!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #20

You didn't mention in which state you currently reside but be aware that some states do not recognize a change in domicile based solely on obtaining a mailing address or driver's license in another state, and may demand state tax if it is due... and in many cases when challenged the courts have backed the state. This is not to say that you cannot successfully change your legal domicile, but I'd advise doing some research and doing it correctly or you may end up with a nasty surprise one day.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #21

California

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawson View Post
I talked with a dealer here in California and was told that California requires that any veh. sold to be registered out of state MUST be delivered out of state by a professional delivery driver and that California may require proof of out of state residence such as 3 months utilities bills.

Not surprising to hear about California's laws. This state is so whacked on attacking personal freedoms and over regulation it boggles the mind. I can say this because I am a native Californian who would never go back to this nanny state. Buy your RV anywhere else in the country and register it in SD, TX or FL and you will save yourself big bucks.
Grayneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live in Ohio, I already paid for my RV, so sales tax is not a consideration. Our plates are less than$50 a year. Income tax is not at big a deal if you don't make a lot.

I see many people who have lived somewhere all their life and now that they are full-time they think it's a big deal to change residence. Unless you live in California, New York, or some other confiscatory state, I don't see the point. This is just my opinion. If Changing my residence out of Ohio is going to be extremely beneficial to me, I would be very interested in knowing how and why.

I do remember living in Arizona one year. I saw the registration costs and I was astounded. I kept my cars titled in Ohio.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #23

Davdeb1 -- I guess Arizona is in that confiscatory category, because our registration and insurance both dropped in half when we changed our domicile to South Dakota. Also, we ended up upgrading our RV and appreciated the 3% sales tax instead of nearly 10% in Arizona. Plus there's no state income tax in SD, a nice change from AZ.

Perhaps most important for most people is simply that the mail forwarding companies are set up to take care of people who live on the road -- from vehicle registration to insurance to absentee voting to getting your mail to you wherever you are, they have the answers to your questions and will handle everything professionally.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #24

We are retired fulltimers. All registrations are PA. Mailing address at daughters house there. Mail is screened, bills are texted to us: account, amount. We then pay online thru our bank. The only forwarded mail is W-2s.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawson View Post

Not completely true. We are fulltimers and are registered in SD. We purchased an RV in CA this year. It did have to be delivered out of state (the driver took us over the line into AZ) but we didn't have to show any paperwork about our address. We have used My Dakota Address in Madison, SD for over 6 years and are very happy with their service.