Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #1

domicile address

Hello everyone, This my first post as I'm a new member, hopefully I can contribute as well as learn form your posts. I'm still making final preparations to go full time. In looking for a domicile address, I read of a place in South Dakota named Alternative Resources. I would like to get some references before I contract them for mail services etc. I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you, Bill
doctorlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
They are used by lots of full timers along with My Home Address and both are excellent.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
paz

We use Alternative Resources for our mail forwarding. Never a problem in over 6 years of full-timing. We have called several times with special requests looking for a specific piece of mail, and they are willing to go to your box and look for it. When you are looking for something specific, they will even open it and read it to you or scan it and email it to you. Great service.

For a nominal fee, they will also assist in getting your vehicles registered in SD. Renewals are easily done online, but we appreciated having help on the initial registration.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have used Alternative Resources for about 6 years with good service and no problems.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz
We use Alternative Resources for our mail forwarding. Never a problem in over 6 years of full-timing. We have called several times with special requests looking for a specific piece of mail, and they are willing to go to your box and look for it. When you are looking for something specific, they will even open it and read it to you or scan it and email it to you. Great service.

For a nominal fee, they will also assist in getting your vehicles registered in SD. Renewals are easily done online, but we appreciated having help on the initial registration.
X3 ..been using them for 3 years and happy so far. They helped us with initial registration and have taken special requests to look for, open and read mail when we needed it.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

We have used Alternative resourses for 11 years now with nary a problem.
Vehicles purchased out of state are handled with a phone call and mailing the paperwork into AR.

Great group of folks there to help you out.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

x5 - we've used Alternative Resources for over 5 years and they have been terrific. They will register your vehicles, get your plates at the DMV, open your mail and re-box it more compactly if you mail order stuff... great folks.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks... we are looking also...
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I've seen a lot of folks change their domicile....Can someone explain why so many folks are going to South Dakota when they full time?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
My choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I've seen a lot of folks change their domicile....Can someone explain why so many folks are going to South Dakota when they full time?
I use America's Mail Box in Box Elder SD which is right next door to Rapid City SD. My reason's for using SD as my home address are no state income tax, low cost vehicle registration, 3% sales tax on vehicles minus what you already paid, no property tax on vehicles, no hassle driver's lic. no vehicle inspections required, good service from America's Mail Box. A lot of full time RV'rs use SD, truckers, merchant seaman, those who are on assignment in foreign countries and military to name a few. Why pay high taxes and fees when you aren't using the services of the state? When I visited them there were lots of folks stopping in at their office getting their driver's lic. plates for their vehicles and voter registration done. So it is very popular with those of a certain nomadic lifestyle.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
  • No state income tax
  • No inheritance tax
  • No personal property tax
  • 3% excise tax on new vehicles
  • Reasonable vehicle registration fees
  • Low vehicle insurance rates
  • Easy to establish residency
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #12

I ended up using Nevada, another no income tax state, and as I stay in the West, more convenient.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #13

I'm going to leave this weekend (for S D)to establish residency.In speaking on the phone with Alternate Resources, DMV, and the county seat folks, they were all polite, helpful, and thanked me for calling.
doctorlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #14

Before picking a state to call your domicile, you really should fully research the best one for YOUR specific situation.

Yes, South Dakota has some great benefits to full timers, and is a frequent choice.

We recently wrote a blog post about this issue, asking lots of questions you should research and listing many of the domicile/mail forwarding services out there:

Chapter 9: Picking a Domicile State, Getting Mail & Voting as a Nomad | Technomadia

Enjoy,
- Cherie
Technomadia is offline   Reply With Quote