Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #1

Domicile and Work - Multiple States

OK- I probably need some legal advice, but thought I would try to get some help to ask the right questions.

Next year DW and I give up the S&B life and live full time in the RV. I'm retired now, she wants to work for a few more years, at least 2 in NV (zero income tax but massive RV Registration fees- about 1.3% of the MSRP or about $4k year.

My intention was to domicile in SD, for the reasons previously stated in the forum, plus I have family in both SD, and ND. Some of the year DW might stay with a friend in NV, might stay in the RV in NV or travel with me. All in all. the RV and my wife will spend a lot of time in NV. Our health insurance is not an issue as we are covered wherever we are, though I understand in and out of network issues might get involved. And I want to get this resolved before I buy the new RV.

Is her work in NV going to cause a domicile issue?
Can we each domicile in a different state? Neither has income tax.
ThatzGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 04:47 AM   #2
paz

It is my understanding that you will owe state income tax to the state in which the income is earned. If the state where the income was earned has no tax or a tax lower than your state of domicile, you will owe tax to your state of domicile. In your case, however, neither NV or SD has income tax so your state income tax bill should be zero.

Uncle Sam is a different story. You owe that regardless of what state you work in.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #3

The key to your issue is that she is earning income and residing in Nevada. You need to contact a lawyer who understands this stuff. Chris Loring can be contacted thru the Escapees organization. He is an attorney who specializes in domicile issue. He will giuvw you a free consultation. And NO he will not push you to become a Texan
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #4

You propose a special situation that does deserve professional advice.
In my non-professional opinion it comes down to how many months of the year you, your wife & your RV spend in NV. When you have no fixed residence, where you spend the majority of your time is a primary factor in establishing domicile (along with where you intend to return to). In order to retain the right to chose your preferred state, you must not spend extended time in any one state sufficient to trigger residency in that state. Also, many state's residency laws say if you take fulltime employment in this state, you are automatically a resident.
If what you really envision is spending most of the year in NV while your wife works fulltime, then she (and you if you stay with her) is a NV resident. Its not an income tax issue for these specific states, its an issue of where your vehicles should be registered, insured & taxed.
If you wife's work is part time and she is in and out of the state on a regular basis, to the point she is living & working in NV less than 6 months total in the year; then its easier to make the case of domicile in a different state.
If you and your RV are outside of NV most of the year (except for short term visits) and only your wife stays in NV living & working, using temp housing. Then yes you could each have different domicile states; a bit unusual for a married couple, but technically possible. This could impact your wife's health insur coverage, if she is covered under your policy from a diff state. if she has her own coverage from her NV employer, then no issue.
Unless I misinterpreted your intentions, it sounds like you and the wife and the RV, should move to NV for those 2 yrs until the wife's retirement. Could you get away with pretending to be SD domiciled for those 2 yrs? maybe; do you really want to worry about every cop encounter for those 2 yrs, or more likely a neighbor or coworker turning you in?
some people win at the NV craps tables, but most never do
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #5

Thanks all. It strikes me that I do need to consult a Pro, Thanks for the Loring suggestion.

What is interesting is doing research on these items, if we follow all rules and regs (and the plans stay as anticipated), we will need to be registered in multiple states at the same time. Yeesh. Just a thought for anyone reading this thread in the future...Remember to look at all the fees associated with registering a vehicle, not just registration costs. Nevada has Registration Fees, Plus something they call a Governmental Services Tax, Then a Supplemental (County) Government Services Tax.

A tax by any other name...

J
ThatzGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

My domicile is Texas and in work in Louisiana, Georgia, Ohio, Kentucky, Colorado, Wyoming, etc. If the state in work in has state taxes I have to pay to that state. I file a return on that state and get most back. Federal is mute. You pay regardless. I never stay on that job for over a year. After a year on same job any per deim becomes taxable income. jfyi
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
You propose a special situation that does deserve professional advice.
In my non-professional opinion it comes down to how many months of the year you, your wife & your RV spend in NV. When you have no fixed residence, where you spend the majority of your time is a primary factor in establishing domicile (along with where you intend to return to). In order to retain the right to chose your preferred state, you must not spend extended time in any one state sufficient to trigger residency in that state. Also, many state's residency laws say if you take fulltime employment in this state, you are automatically a resident.
If what you really envision is spending most of the year in NV while your wife works fulltime, then she (and you if you stay with her) is a NV resident. Its not an income tax issue for these specific states, its an issue of where your vehicles should be registered, insured & taxed.
If you wife's work is part time and she is in and out of the state on a regular basis, to the point she is living & working in NV less than 6 months total in the year; then its easier to make the case of domicile in a different state.
If you and your RV are outside of NV most of the year (except for short term visits) and only your wife stays in NV living & working, using temp housing. Then yes you could each have different domicile states; a bit unusual for a married couple, but technically possible. This could impact your wife's health insur coverage, if she is covered under your policy from a diff state. if she has her own coverage from her NV employer, then no issue.
Unless I misinterpreted your intentions, it sounds like you and the wife and the RV, should move to NV for those 2 yrs until the wife's retirement. Could you get away with pretending to be SD domiciled for those 2 yrs? maybe; do you really want to worry about every cop encounter for those 2 yrs, or more likely a neighbor or coworker turning you in?
some people win at the NV craps tables, but most never do
Very good advise. I live in WY and there is no income tax but it is almost $2K to license our Ace 29.3 each year. It would be easy to become a South Dakota resident on paper, but if WY figured it out (they watch for this) they would hang me out to dry. Nevada will too!
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote