Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #1

Domicile in TN, Mail-Forwarding Questions

Hi all,
My wife and I are struggling to find old posts or discussion points similar to our Domicile/Full-Time RV with Mail-forwarding situation. We are working and not retired. I’m in the Healthcare IT business and my wife is a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.

Here’s some general Info:
1. I’m a W2 employee full time
2. My wife is a 1099 employee but has her TN state license (covers multi-states)
3. We own a home In Tennessee we’ve setup to remain our primary/domicile.

Needing guidance and clarity:

1. We’ve researched Escapees and will likely sign up with them, but will choose TX for Mail-forwarding ONLY. Since the USPS will only forward mail for 6 months, our concern is changing my employee records with my employer for tax purposes and how this will affect our domicile, etc?

2. Any other licensed healthcare professionals in a similar situation with their “home state” license and how to ensure it stays that way even with mail-forwarding?

3. DL renewals, Tag Renewals, etc, how can we forward our address to Texas for these but our home in TN remains our primary address where these items are registered?

We appreciate any feedback from those who have been a similar situation. We hit the road officially on Monday!
BandMRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Well.........

Are you going FT or NOT?

See you either do it or you don't
**3. We own a home In Tennessee we’ve setup to remain our primary/domicile.
**3. DL renewals, Tag Renewals, etc, how can we forward our address to Texas for these but our home in TN remains our primary address where these items are registered?

Those 2 statements make it come across as NOT really going FT...just looking for some of the FT options while still retaining a TN Residency

SO retain you TN residency, physical address (your current house), set up a Mail Forwarding Address just for handling your mail WHILE you take 'trips in your RV'......DLs, Registrations, Voting, Ins (auto.Medical) ETC REMAIN with your TN Physical address. No changes
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Well.........

Are you going FT or NOT?

See you either do it or you don't
**3. We own a home In Tennessee we’ve setup to remain our primary/domicile.
**3. DL renewals, Tag Renewals, etc, how can we forward our address to Texas for these but our home in TN remains our primary address where these items are registered?

Those 2 statements make it come across as NOT really going FT...just looking for some of the FT options while still retaining a TN Residency

SO retain you TN residency, physical address (your current house), set up a Mail Forwarding Address just for handling your mail WHILE you take 'trips in your RV'......DLs, Registrations, Voting, Ins (auto.Medical) ETC REMAIN with your TN Physical address. No changes

Hi,
Yes, we are going FT effective Monday. Our domicile is in TN which is our home and it will be rented to tenants. Thus, needing a mail-forwarding service.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandMRVers View Post
Hi,
Yes, we are going FT effective Monday. Our domicile is in TN which is our home and it will be rented to tenants. Thus, needing a mail-forwarding service.

Then it is NOT your home...it is your property which isn't your domicile address

To retain your TN 'residency' you will need a TN Address
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #5

Since you've mentioned Escapees have you looked into joing the Xscapers a sub-group of Escapees? I think it would be very helpful for you. It's for a younger group of full-timers, many of whom still work. They could answer your questions, especially on traveling and working and finances/taxes.

https://www.xscapers.com/services/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #6

traveltax.com has good info

Also I've heard good stuff about travel nurse groups on Facebook

Setting up domicile in TX or FL is generally considered the best all around for Tax & ease of license renewals as I've heard.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi,
Who are your tenants? Friends? Relatives? Someone who would be willing to forward your mail to you?
In our arrangement, the "tenants" in our home are my son and his GF. They get our mail, throw out the obvious junk, and forward (on request) anything we might need. We know daily what mail we are receiving. We signed up for a USPS service called Informed Delivery. Check it out, it might help you.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your feedback and replies. We were able to setup a mailbox at UPS with a mail forwarding service that gives us an actual TN address to use.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your feedback and replies. We were able to setup a mailbox at UPS with a mail forwarding service that gives us an actual TN address to use.

Be aware that some "institutions" (banks, insurance companies, etc.) will flag certain addresses as Mail Forwarding Services and will not accept them as valid residences. In many cases the best alternative will be to use your "house" address but change all correspondence to Electronic Delivery (email).
Old 10-19-2018, 06:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Be aware that some "institutions" (banks, insurance companies, etc.) will flag certain addresses as Mail Forwarding Services and will not accept them as valid residences. In many cases the best alternative will be to use your "house" address but change all correspondence to Electronic Delivery (email).

Yes, thank you. We’ve setup majority of these to be sent electronically.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #11

Escapees offers legal services that I believe include domicile assistance/guidance. Give them a call.
marenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #12

Just a couple other things that need consideration.

If you / your wife are earning money while not in the city / county / state of your residence, you may be liable for income taxes for the location you were working in vs. your location of residence. This may be so, even if the work you are doing has nothing to do with where you are actually located. While this often gets overlooked, you should consult a tax account / attorney to fully understand how laws may or may not be applied.

You need to understand if your company can actually pay you in accordance to applicable tax and business laws and where they are licensed as a business given your actual location.

You also need to understand any limits on your health insurance based on your location, from both a “service provider” perspective and the ability of your company to provide coverage.

Many if not most “mobile workers” get away with a lot of things on the fringes of business licensing, payroll, tax laws, and health insurance, but better to understand than to get caught unaware.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Just a couple other things that need consideration.

If you / your wife are earning money while not in the city / county / state of your residence, you may be liable for income taxes for the location you were working in vs. your location of residence. This may be so, even if the work you are doing has nothing to do with where you are actually located. While this often gets overlooked, you should consult a tax account / attorney to fully understand how laws may or may not be applied.

You need to understand if your company can actually pay you in accordance to applicable tax and business laws and where they are licensed as a business given your actual location.

You also need to understand any limits on your health insurance based on your location, from both a “service provider” perspective and the ability of your company to provide coverage.

Many if not most “mobile workers” get away with a lot of things on the fringes of business licensing, payroll, tax laws, and health insurance, but better to understand than to get caught unaware.

All are very excellent points. Thank you. We have a CPA and attorney we’ve both worked with and arranged the necessary actions to ensure these things are handled appropriately
Old 10-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #14

Since you are staying a W-2 employee has your CPA or attorney said that your employer needs to do anything different for income tax or unemployment insurance filing depending on the state you are physically in versus your residence of TN? Or is your employer just using your TN residence for everything?
mpmartino is offline   Reply With Quote