Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #15

You bought a great coach at a great time. I think you would be disappointed with what you get now for your money.
Keep it
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkayaker View Post
Washer and dryer on RVs I have worked on are only Google for a couple of garments per was or dry. Have lots of time for dry
That isn't true. Wash 2 pair of jeans, two sweatshirts, 2 pairs of shorts, a couple of hand towels (balanced) in about 25 minutes and then dry in about 45 minutes. Never have to schlep laundry. Delay start so that a load of towels would start at 5:30 am and walk up to warm towels out of the dryer. Plus why it is going, I can be doing other things. Make dinner, watch TV, catch up online, etc. So in reality it is 5 minutes of work to put in the load and 5 minutes to take out, fold/hang, and put away.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #17

Your wife stated she thought it would be too small. That should answer it.

However, full-timers travel in all sizes - even a van. It depends how much room you really need. Start making a list of things you would take along and doing so with the thought that you won't leave anything behind in storage. Everything you'll need for years will have to fit. I think you'll be surprised by the amount.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Could you please share what make and model machine(s) you own? Thanks!
Will post pics: washer label, washer with 8 pairs of Levi's inside (had to check myself! LOL), and washer/dryer pic. Whirlpool, newmar default selections for our 2017 DSDP 4018.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	169956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	169957  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	169958  
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #19

That's nice , but wasn't the original post about a combo ? However I don't see it at all now
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklaz View Post
.... Would this work for full timing?.....has anyone successfully full timed in a unit this small? Without wanting to hurt each other?

Marklaz.... when someone asks my advice-- and sometimes when they don't-- I advise them to buy larger than they think they will need. The perception of "too big" will only last a month or so at the most before it becomes normal. But " too small" will last every day you own it.

But your real question is one of retained value. Your coach is a 2006. If I read your post correctly you will put seasonal usage only on the coach for another seven years from now, and then start full timing in an 18 year old- albeit fully paid for- coach.

Given proper and timely maintenance through the years this should not be a problem. In 7 years my Dutch Star will be 22 years old. Your chassis and engine will be fine, but you may feel the need to do some updating on the coach box, and you will likely be replacing some appliances along the way. Just some thoughts.

All in all, were I in your position, I think I would stick with the Monaco.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #21

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
- I worked to many years, gave up too many vacations, etc., to have to settle for something that I knew would make me miserable.
Exactly !
I spent 47+ years trucking in a 6' x 8' truck cab & sleeper just "making do" with what ever was the cheapest....My comfort and health was way down on the list... Missed every holiday,birthday,wedding and watching my sons grow up.
Now that I have the time to enjoy a little bit in my few remaining years,
Be Durned if i'm gonna go cheep, be cramped & cooped up or have to "make do" with an inferior RV..
So I bought a 40 footer for me & DW..
And as the Texicans say.. gonna "Let 'er rip...Taterchip!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Marklaz.... when someone asks my advice-- and sometimes when they don't-- I advise them to buy larger than they think they will need. The perception of "too big" will only last a month or so at the most before it becomes normal. But " too small" will last every day you own it.

But your real question is one of retained value. Your coach is a 2006. If I read your post correctly you will put seasonal usage only on the coach for another seven years from now, and then start full timing in an 18 year old- albeit fully paid for- coach.

Given proper and timely maintenance through the years this should not be a problem. In 7 years my Dutch Star will be 22 years old. Your chassis and engine will be fine, but you may feel the need to do some updating on the coach box, and you will likely be replacing some appliances along the way. Just some thoughts.

All in all, were I in your position, I think I would stick with the Monaco.
X2, X3, X4......
And in addition to this, I wouldn't want to go through selling your existing rig and taking a hit there, buying a smaller rig & then taking another hit when I sell that, then looking AGAIN for your FT rig and getting that ready...jeeze...I couldn't put myself, my mind or my wallet through all that when I have what I need right now. All I have to do is wait a bit and maintain what I have.

And yes there are a few people who FT in Vans and smaller rigs —who are generally a lot younger than you'll be when you go FT—BUT in your mid 60's fully retired living in one....I think not. I say....STAY THE COURSE and save yourself a lot of grief in the interim.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote