Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Downsizing...timing and economics

Reading good posts here regarding the emotions of downsizing. I agree with the notion that once the stuff is gone, it will be freeing and that one won't miss most of it.

As an example, I see a solid oak rolltop desk in my S+B in excellent condition. (Paid let's say $900). Looking at CL I see half a dozen similar desks for $100-$250. The impression I am getting is that you can't give this stuff away. Do you just forget what you paid for stuff and get rid if it?

I noticed on my insurance bill that I pay a premium to insure all this crap at replacement value. But to file a claim, you have to actually replace the item. At this stage of our lives, it is unlikely we would do so. I need to seriously rethink full replacement coverage given this restriction.

We just bought a new rig and would like to start the downsizing process and spend more time in the RV. It's very difficult to get started. I feel most happy when I am out in the RV camping and never give my crap a 2nd thought. The vast majority of it (75%) is never used.

Todd
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forget what you paid for items you don't use or need anymore. Think of it this way. You bought a new car for, say, $30,000. Drove it for 5 years. Now will accept a $6,000 trade in value on a new car. Or even better since you have 2 cars and only need one would you ask $30k for it? No you would sell it for what you can get. It's the same for household items. I have a dear friend downsizing and we bought a $1200 sofa from her for $200. She set up a garage sale to recoup some money and the remaining items that don't go in the sale are being donated to charity. Set up a garage/yard sale, get a trash dumpster, donate to charity, and relieve your self of not used anymore items. Use the extra cash to fund your first trip in the new coach.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #3

We decided several years ago. Made it last May. There is a lot to say, but to make it short it sounds like the hardest part is behind you...the decision. Make a plan and set a date. When the house sold we had a month. We had a plan and dissolved all we could except for 9 totes which we store. Good luck! Loving it
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

We got rid of everything in 2011, been full time since, and have not missed a thing.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TJ.... we went through the same considerations 4+ years ago. Example: a fine quality dining room suite we had purchased some 35 years before, which had seen countless family dinners, holidays, family conferences, old friends as guests, etc., etc. Not needed by anyone else in the family; what to do? A conundrum, until I realized we had heavily invested a non-refundable quantity of memories and sentimental value! To us this furniture was priceless; to everyone else it was just old stuff.
You just have to let it go. Call an auction house, or an estate sale organizer.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I put some items for sale up on the university bulletin board. China/crystal all sold, same for lawn furniture/equipment. Gave rest of furniture to daughter as part of her inheritance to do with as she wanted. Didn't want to do a garage sale - all rest went to Goodwill, then took the tax write off. Much easier. When doing it, pick one room and don't start on another untill that room is empty, then close the door and NOTHING GOES IN THERE AND ISN'T DESTINED FOR THE RV. After you finish a room - go treat yourself to something nice. Salted Carmel Sundae worked for me.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #7

We're not ready to downsize. It's so appealing on many levels but we aren't ready yet. I envy/admire those who have downsized and hit the road FT or some combo of RV lifestyle and streamlined S+B. I plan to contact my insurance company and see if we can take off replacement coverage and just get depreciated value in case of a claim. I don't want to pay $600 year to insure stuff I can live without.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
We're not ready to downsize. It's so appealing on many levels but we aren't ready yet. I envy/admire those who have downsized and hit the road FT or some combo of RV lifestyle and streamlined S+B. I plan to contact my insurance company and see if we can take off replacement coverage and just get depreciated value in case of a claim. I don't want to pay $600 year to insure stuff I can live without.
I have another way. I maintain very high deductibles in other words, I'm in partnership with my insurance companies to do everything I can to ensure I don't have a loss, but I don't pay through the nose in the meantime. Year after year and take the money that I save, and I consider that my slush fund to make up my deductibles. In 40 years of homeowners I've had one claim for four hundred dollars. I'm ahead of the game.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #9

We gave up trying to sell things. We made a little at yard sales and Craig's List is too much work for it to be worth it for us.

I drop things off at the local thrift store and cringe a little when I give it away. It's forgotten by the time I get home.

Right now I'm going through the holiday decorations and getting rid of anything that won't be going with us.
TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #10

Get the thought out of your mind that you will get a good price for furniture. It'll cost you even more if you store it.

We got rid of it all and never regretted a thing. We didn't care what it sold for we just wanted it gone. The 'stuff' owns you. When it's gone it's a huge weight off your shoulders.

Young, adventurous RVers - take note!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #11

moving out of our house of 20 years as we speak ! Lots of STUFF, friends and family took a lot of stuff, a couple big loads to local goodwill. got to admit we are storing a few things. its a little overwhelming but just reminds me of how materialistic we are. looking forward to the rv life. I know we have a lot to learn. boy I sure will miss cutting all that lawn!!
Btheresoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
After a couple of years paying storage fees you will have paid for the STUFF twice...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:24 AM   #13

One thing we did (when I turned 50) was put a moratorium in place - no new furniture, knick knacks, artwork, gadgets etc. We're also townhome people, no lawnmower, snowblower etc. We can lock up and be gone for months at a time with few problems. Our overhead here is very low, one reason we resist downsizing now. One day we'll downsize another notch or two and enjoy the freedom of the open road.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #14

We have always been more on the minimalist side, so we have a lot less to get rid of than a lot of people. We also never spent a lot on furniture. We always got something nice at a reasonable cost.

With that said we have donated a bunch to goodwill. We had one garage sale and we sold 1 or 2 things on Craigslist.

We have about a month until we hit the road. When we do we know a single mom that we have known since she was about 4. Her husband up and left her with nothing, so we are giving the rest to her.
CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote