Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club

We currently have an e-mail account and internet access from the local cable company. When we go full-time we won't be able to use Cable One. We will probably be using the HotSpot on our I-Phones for internet access. What do most full-timers do about e-mail? Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Not a FT'er but I use gmail.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
gmail
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Gmail.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have 2 aol and 1 gmail accounts.
One of the aol accounts I have had for probably 20 years so quite a few people have it and even if I don't see them for a few years they know they can still contact me that way.
The other aol account I have had for maybe 12 to 15 years .... in response to the name on the 1st one that Thom and I had come up with when he had a few beers lol.
The gmail account I have because I have a Verizon smart phone and when it was set up about 5 years ago I had to have it ....

As for internet/interweb access we still have unlimited data for the Verizon cells. Thom and I use it for just about everything. So far this month he's used about 20gb and I have used about 15gb for a total about 35gb. We may hit 45gb by the 7th when the data resets. He not only uses it for going online here at the house but uses it for work too so that he can access all that he needs to to do his work while walking around the plants.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Check with your cable company and ask how long your email is good for. We had Time Warner before FiOS was available. Years later while using an old desktop PC I clicked on the old TW mail for laughs to discover I had 5,000 + mail messages on the old account. Mostly junk so no loss.

We suspend the FiOS in winter when we head south but the Verizon email still works. We both have a gmail account BTW.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I have 2 aol and 1 gmail accounts.
One of the aol accounts I have had for probably 20 years so quite a few people have it and even if I don't see them for a few years they know they can still contact me that way.
The other aol account I have had for maybe 12 to 15 years .... in response to the name on the 1st one that Thom and I had come up with when he had a few beers lol.
The gmail account I have because I have a Verizon smart phone and when it was set up about 5 years ago I had to have it ....

As for internet/interweb access we still have unlimited data for the Verizon cells. Thom and I use it for just about everything. So far this month he's used about 20gb and I have used about 15gb for a total about 35gb. We may hit 45gb by the 7th when the data resets. He not only uses it for going online here at the house but uses it for work too so that he can access all that he needs to to do his work while walking around the plants.

What does the unlimited data plan cost you?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
With 2 smart phones and with both having the hotspots activated, it costs us around $240 a month.
If we were to do the data any other way for the amount we use it would still costs us about $160 or more and that again would be just for the data. Thom sometimes deals with sending CAD drawings back and forth and large reports and well things that can take time and lots of data so it's the best we've found for our situation. As for me, well, according to the doctor I am no longer allowed to work. I don't move that well anymore so sometimes the computer and being online is all I can do some days.

Thom's job has had him traveling sometimes 90% to 95% of the time. He's gone from one end of the US to the other and north and south too. He's also been from one end of Canada to the other. He's been in so many different plants and businesses working on the AGV's (robotic vehicles) where he's gotten "There's no cell service in here, how can you be on the phone? Oh wait .... you have Verizon don't you?" Heard that more times than you would think.
We pay for the convenience of pretty much always having a connection. We know we might be able to pay less just for the phone part but since we do have the unlimited data still on it and since we do use so much for work and play it's the cheapest we've found.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #9

Im using gmail. It works great for me. I will be using my phone as a hotspot when we go full-time. Actually the hotspot works bettet than the att dsl service.

The gal at verizon told me about an app called foxfire that is a hotspot app. A one time fee of $7.99, and it works great. Its better than the $20.00 a month that verizon was going to charge.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #10

^^^^^ sorry, the app is called foxfi.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Gmail and yahoo
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone! Sounds like G-Mail is the way to go!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Gmail is fine if you don't mind Google doing searches on all your incoming email to target you for ads. You also need to be careful if you're planning on using the native email client on your computer or phone, as well as their web interface. Gmail's native mail storage is not really compatible with IMAP, and weird things can happen if you use both interfaces. Probably not an issue if you're a fairly light email user.

Personally, I use a third-party email server provider (Rackspace) and my own domain name. That way I can move my email to any service any time I want to and not have to worry about changing my email address. I do pay $10/mo for the Rackspace service, but that includes 5 email accounts.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Actually, FoxFi is free:

http://bit.ly/O7k8Zl

We've used it for a very long time, and it works well with our Verizon-based Samsung Galaxy phone.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote