Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #1

Earn a living on the road?

Me, my girl, and her 9yo daughter are thinking heavily about hitting the road in a slightly older affordable class A. I am a mechanic, I can fix anything given enough research but am new to RV's and heavy trucks, but not for long..

The plan started to get somewhere new with better promise and a better economy to start fresh, and that is still somewhat the plan. Full time in the MH for 6 months or so to get on our feet in a new area.

But what if we could make a "full-timers" living on the road going from place to place. She has years of experience in a public daycare facility teaching kids, and has also worked for upscale resorts and such.

Can you think of any jobs or work she could do from place to place with resort experience and professional childcare experience?

And as for me, what about fixing things? I will be bringing a lot of tools..

Do you think I would be met with any adverse reactions if I stuck a sign infront of my campsite that read something like...
"Fix Stuff: Lite RV maintenance & repair, automotive, General Mending"
??

Do you think I would get any work? Or what kind of work would be available from here to there?

I don't think we would have to "kill it" and make tons of money, just enough to comfortably sustain life in the RV and maybe save up for an upgrade and a pillow.

We would take the class A paid for, car paid for, no debt, we own 2 rentals here at home flat out for a bit of income maybe net $500 a month, and have maybe $5k in our pocket to start off with after preparing the MH the best I can for the road..

Crazy ideas I know.. What's it like out there?
fasteddie313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #2

Good News! there is already a support network in place for the younger RVing folks that have not retired.

https://xscapers.com/
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #3

Just some things to think about:

RV parks typically won't let you put a sign out front advertising anything.

$500/m will be cutting it close for a campsite, fuel, food, utilities, medical insurance, vehicle insurance, etc..

What about schooling and care for the 9-year-old girl - especially if you both work. Children need a social environment with other children.

RV parks usually hire workampers and perhaps your mechanical skills could be used.

$5,000 in savings would be used up fast if you have mechanical problems or other emergencies.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I met a fella who was a retired electrician and traveling around. He would plan ahead where he was going to be for days/weeks and run an ad for small/odd electrical jobs on that local Craigslist the couple weeks before getting there. Thus getting work lined up for when he arrived.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote