Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Electric useage ?

OK full-timers...I need a BALLPARK answer, please.

I know each R V will be different and each person will use a different amount of electric based on items used, temp outside, etc., etc..

But...looking at parks in Texas and Florida the thing seems to be to charge for electric. I see .13-.18 per KH. As my house rate here in Tulsa is about .00467/KH I assume parks are getting monthly and now weekly customers to pay the park's entire overhead through electric charges.
Sorry...I didn't mean to go off on a rant...I just now looked up the rate I pay on the house and was shocked. I would expect to pay a little higher rate but that seemed a lot.

The amount may be insignificant...but that's why I'm asking. We just retired last winter and have never had the opportunity to spend a month or more in the motorhome. So I have no idea how much electric I might use in KH.

We have a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1 (just changed over from gas to our first diesel pusher, love it) with other RVs in the past have used a couple of small ceramic heaters when we are plugged in instead of the propane furnace. We have a residential frig. and separate washer and dryer.

We will probably be out one month or so in a spot then try a different area. May do the same next winter too till we find an area we really like.

We are looking at three areas in two states to start:

1. Florida - central north to south and most anywhere east to west. This may be mid Feb to end of Mar during MLB spring training. Any good spots from you baseball fans?

2. Texas - Gulf coast around Rockport, Port Aransas area. We love Port A and want to spend some time in that area.

3. Texas - Rio Grande Valley. I hear a LOT of "Winter Texans" go down there. We like to go to Progresso MX when we are there and I like catching stingrays off the boardwalks around Port Isabel. Probably wouldn't stay further west than Mission.

So...with those factors in mind, and your experience in those areas, please give me some idea of electric usage in KH.

Also any other expense factors for planning (besides lot rent and food) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Gary
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Gary,

We've spend several winters in central Florida. Last years rate was $0.15, much more than at home at around $0.06. It ran us about $75-$85 @ month, so in the 500-600 kwh range.

I do have our rig setup for dry camping, all LED lights, 12v LED TVs, ect. So the 120v useage is limited to fridge, ACs and space heater when needed (not too much need in Fl). Micro gets limited use as does a portable washer. Oh, and last year we bought a very small fridge to keep outside for drinks and overflow.

So I figure we are in the lower to mid average of most folks for power useage.

We decided to try AZ this year and a little workcamping. Everything is free for the entire winter

We really liked Wekiva Falls resort between Sorrento and Sanford Fl.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #3

I once read that Texas limits how much a park can resell electricity for. Not sure if anyone monitors it but last winter in Port A or monthly bill was $50 for not much usage. No A/C, heat, just hot water & micro. Our interior lights are LED.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I spend more per month in the RV than I do at home. I consider it the cost of gettin' warm in the West. $75-$90/mth.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #5

Last year in the Rio Grande valley I paid .12 cents/kw averaging $55/month but I did not run ths AC much. Travel around to a lot of areas to see what you like
browne07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure if it helps but I have been at 20 - 30$ per month. This is minimal ac but lots of computer. I do have great solar however. I wonder if that is the difference? I had one park in Montana that told me most people there were spending 30 for a summer month and my bill was $3!

FWIW!
BillAndPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We are actually in a mobile home park right now. Some MH parks take the old mobile homes out and leave the spots for RV's to use for several months at a time.
With the fridge, separate ice maker, 1 LED tv, 2 laptops plugged in, printer on, router on, inverter on coffee pot plugged in for the clock, microwave/convection plugged in but not running and we were tested at pulling only 3-4 amps. As the guy testing it said, the meter should be barely moving. They tested it cause there was a discrepancy in the amount being charged. We will be getting a very large refund ....
I am sure there were a few more things on or plugged in for a parasitic draw.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes the business rate exceeds the residential rate.

HOWEVER some states have laws that allow an RV park to pass on the actual cost of electricity, but NOT make a profit on it... You might want to check the laws.

NOTE: I do not know if Texas is such a state.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
paz

We winter in central FL. We use our heat pump and/or electric heater almost exclusively for heat. Because our furnace is so noisy, we only use it when it's below 38-40º when the heat pump wont work and the electric heater can't keep up. Our electricity usually costs $60 to $70 a month at $.14/kwh. January, 2012 was particularly cold, and we used $106.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I once read that Texas limits how much a park can resell electricity for. Not sure if anyone monitors it but last winter in Port A or monthly bill was $50 for not much usage. No A/C, heat, just hot water & micro. Our interior lights are LED.
Which park? We love Port A.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
We winter in central FL. We use our heat pump and/or electric heater almost exclusively for heat. Because our furnace is so noisy, we only use it when it's below 38-40º when the heat pump wont work and the electric heater can't keep up. Our electricity usually costs $60 to $70 a month at $.14/kwh. January, 2012 was particularly cold, and we used $106.
Thanks! Where do you go? Any MLB spring training ballparks close?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks everyone!!! That gives me a good idea of what to budget for the first year. It looks like I can figure $75/month and be safe, and I can throw $100 in the cookie jar for any over runs.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
Thanks everyone!!! That gives me a good idea of what to budget for the first year. It looks like I can figure $75/month and be safe, and I can throw $100 in the cookie jar for any over runs.
This is probably about right. There are somethings you can do to be very conservative with this usage if you want to. We wintered in Leesburg, Fl last winter. However we bought a new motor home in January so it took us a few months to figure out what our best use of which appliances to use would cost us the least. Our previous motor home was 35' coachman & we could average about $40 a month in just about any CG we were at. But we used a lot of propane, that coach was setup for propane use for big appliances & not electric. The new one has propane or electric options for everything except the stove. We seem to be using between $40-$120 a month & the average KW is $.14.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #14

Whether we're in the south or the north, our electric seems to be around $200 a month. We have more electronics than most and we don't try to conserve. I think when we convert our 60 halogen pucks to LED, we'll see some difference in our bill.

Sue