Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

Electrical Costs

We just started full timing a year ago. We love the life style & are very glad we did it! However, I do have a question about electrical usage. My coach is not all electric, but we do have the gas/electric water heater, which is on all the time when parked. We have 2 led TV's & the washer/dryer, etc. We're just leaving for FL for the winter & I received my last electric bill. Our average bill for 5 months was $72. dollars. Our last bill was for $116. dollars & we used 938 KWH, which averages out to be 30 KWH per day! I think that's quite high for our coach, considering when we had our house we only used about 675 KWH per month.

I was wondering what others pay & consider average?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

Depends on lifestyle, but does seem a bit high. I would check the load when the appliances are off, including water heater. I would also check to confirm that the block heater is not on.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

At our winter park, I always check the reading the day the park does, numbers have a way of being transposed, either at the meter or in the office.
Over the winter , we average $80 month at $0.175 per kwhr. Roof A/Cs are the power hogs, even 2 days of use will skyrocket the power bill.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
We just started full timing a year ago. We love the life style & are very glad we did it! However, I do have a question about electrical usage. My coach is not all electric, but we do have the gas/electric water heater, which is on all the time when parked. We have 2 led TV's & the washer/dryer, etc. We're just leaving for FL for the winter & I received my last electric bill. Our average bill for 5 months was $72. dollars. Our last bill was for $116. dollars & we used 938 KWH, which averages out to be 30 KWH per day! I think that's quite high for our coach, considering when we had our house we only used about 675 KWH per month.

I was wondering what others pay & consider average?
The water heater on electric CAN be a power hog. You may want to consider running the water heater only when you need it. We turn on the WH about a 1/2 hour before needed and then turn it off when done. I also agree on the AC. They are power hogs also. We work to manage our propane and electric while out in our RV.

-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I wonder if the water heater is more cost effective to run on propane?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I wonder if the water heater is more cost effective to run on propane?
Winepress
I don't have facts and figures it back it up but it seems running both my WH and my fridge 24/7 on propane is more economical than using electricity.
Cooking, heating water and cooling the fridge with LP uses less than a 20#, (4.7 gal), a month, (which costs around $17.00).

However my 40,00 BTU propane firnace is a "gas hog"!... (compared to my LP furnace, running 1 or 2 electric space heaters is a bargain.

Mel
'96 Safar, 135k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
propane water heaters are VERY inefficient, like 70% or so. So unless the cost of electric is very high, electric is usually a better bet, plus for us not unhooking and going to look for propane is a plus.

If the OP is just leaving for Florida, that means it is quite possible the A/C was on part of the time - - that will spin the dial.

With no air, we use approximately 15 KWH/day, with A/C it goes up to 30 KWH/ day pretty quickly. When it comes to cooling or heating really can't compare RV with house - the insulation isn't that great in an RV.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #8

Not a bad to take a photo of the electric meter on the day you arrive, and monthly after that. It's hard to argue with, if there is a discrepancy.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
We don't usually stay in a park on a monthly basis which requires a payment for electical use. This summer we had occasion to do so and we were charged 14 cents/KWH. I'm curious as to what others pay when they are staying monthly.

BTW, we were in California.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #10

For weekenders where the daily rate is included with electricity, I wonder how long it will be before smart meters start showing up and the electricity is added to the daily rate. The technology is there.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
With no air, we use approximately 15 KWH/day, with A/C it goes up to 30 KWH/ day pretty quickly. When it comes to cooling or heating really can't compare RV with house - the insulation isn't that great in an RV.
We have those same numbers in a 40-foot motorhome--15 kwh/day normally, 30 kwh/day if using the air conditioner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
This summer ... we were charged 14 cents/KWH. I'm curious as to what others pay when they are staying monthly.

BTW, we were in California.
Rates vary a lot throughout the country, and in some states RV parks are allowed to charge customers more than the RV park itself is paying. 14 cents/kwh is pretty good in California.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this website, but I think it's interesting and it generally seems to be in line with my (limited) experience:

Electricity Prices by State | Compare 2013 U.S. Electric Rates
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With water heater on propane, the refrigerator on electricity and little to no AC use we use about 300 KWh per month.
The RV park in AZ charges us $0.20 per KWh and that works out to $60 per month.

AZ is one state (there may be others) that allows RV parks to charge more for electricity than they pay - if you stay for less than 180 consecutive days.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #13

Also make sure that meter is not spinning when you unplug your cable. This is to verify they are not running the road lamps or other things off of the meter you're billed for.
Jet_Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #14

Always, always read the meter before you hook up. Last winter which was cold in Silver Springs, Fl., the most we paid for a month was $140. We were running two space heaters and the heatpump when it was warm enough for it. Hoping for better temps this winter or we'll be going further south this winter.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical