RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #15
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Filtering—and treating—any city water that comes into the coach IS NOT just a concern for safe drinking water BUT should be taken seriously on how it will effect all your water systems, components, water lines, valves, etc. in the coach.

If you only have—for an example—a blue camco inline filter at the hose bib and an under the sink filter...or one other filter before water comes into the coach, that's not good enough. Period. Why....

I know, I know...you want to argue with me here...SIGH...I don't know why I put myself through this but...it's ok here we go...

In a nut shell, if you want safe drinking water, AND PROTECT your entire water system, which includes all your faucets, HWH, fixtures, water lines, and other components, you have to at a minimum:
1) Regulate your water pressure coming in
2) Use proper water hoses
3) Filter the incoming water with a minimum of a 2 stage filtering system down to .5 micron
4) Add a portable water softening unit
5) Sanitize your fresh water tank and your entire water system every 6 months or if FTing, once a year
6) Annual sanitizing, cleaning and flushing your HWH with white vinegar along with annual PM servicing
7) Change out filters regularly
8) Keep all your fresh water gear totally separate from your black tank gear thereby preventing any cross contamination

My current FTing neighbor across from me did not do these things on their—now going on 3 year old 5ver—and they just recently spent 4K for a mobile tech to come out and fix and replace all their desytroyed water related stuff. Afterwards, they spent more money to buy the things they needed to prevent this from happening again. The main culprit responsible for most of their problems....no water softener.

That's it.

Oh, oh....BTW...
If you're one of those RV owners that stores your RV 10 months a year and you only use it occasionally...you'll find this info meaningless, just plain foolishness and stupid. However, when you sell your RV, it will be the next owner that discovers your short cuts, lack of careful planning and proper maintenance and they too, will learn a costly lesson.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for your help. Here's what I went with:
Renator M11 Water Pressure Regulator with Gauge at faucet,
followed by an 20 micron blue inline filter (Camco TastePure) (I expect to change this one out more frequently),
down the line I have a 5 micron KDF polypropylene filter (Camco Evo),
followed by a On-The-Go Double Standard Softener & Conditioner,
finally I have a .5 micron Carbon Block filter (Pentek CBC-10)(I put this one after the OTG to eliminate any salt taste left)
Thanks again for everyone's input.

WTHNot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water