Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Park Models are 1 bedroom houses built under RV umbrella. They can't be more than 400 sq feet, then are less then 12' wide so they can be moved easily down the road as oversized load. And because they are classified as RVs they can be placed in RV Parks, rather than mobile home parks. In some places the codes defining the two are very different and taxes for RV Parks are different than taxes for mobile home parks.

If I'm going to buy something, then it will be a 2 bedroom condo. I don't want to do yard work, etc. ever again. We are traveling now, and if we decide that we are done with the park model, we can just turn the title over to the park and walk away - it isn't worth much (we paid about 10K 5 years ago) anymore and we've more than gotten our money's worth out of it. Plus, because of my hubby's medical conditions, we need to be need near a major city with excellent medical - and you don't find that in little towns that would allow for the purchase/establishment of individual RV lots. I am guessing that we will sell the MH first, or donate it since it is almost 18 yrs old, and see what the summer is like in the PM and then decide whether to spend year round in the valley or move to DFW area to be near our daughter. We spent 4 years in the Phoenix area when my DH was in grad school, so we understand the summers - though we were much, much, much younger then.

Even if you have more than enough money to pay cash, don't do it. Put down 20% and then invest the rest. Draw enough from it, plus SS to maintain your lifestyle. You never know what is ahead and as 2008 tells us, the housing market does not always go up.
Not sure I understand you. Are you saying you bought the RV lot and have a park model on it? or that you have a MH?
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
Not sure I understand you. Are you saying you bought the RV lot and have a park model on it? or that you have a MH?
We have a park model on a lot we rent in an RV Park in Mesa, AZ. We have a motorhome and were full timing in it and now we spend 6 months in the MH and 6 months in the Park Model.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #45

Two things you mentioned...

- You're planning to buy another house for $200-250,000. If you don't need a big house you can get one for waaaaay less than that especially if you stay out of big cities or near popular attractions.

- You're worried about not finding a RV park if you have a 10-year-old+ RV. That is not a problem unless you want to stay in the classy 'rv resorts'. Every single park doesn't have that requirement. There are many, many RVers that have older RVs. If you take care of it and keep it looking good on the outside you'll be just fine.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #46

Great diverse group here.. I tend to agree
If you only are in it for 2 years than buy a good truck and a used camper..
We did our "trial run" if you will. Last summer.. we are smitten with this lifestyle
For now..but who knows..ymmv.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #47

Quote:
You know, one of the president wanabe's says if he is elected he will open up area 51 and release all the blue book ufo stuff plus he will give everyone over the age of 18 1k a month for the rest of their lives
Yang.... Little Asian guy that skateboards like the Beto guy. People won't go for that. Especially the 250,000,000 that work and would have to pay for the people that don't feel like working, living 10-15 to a house in your neighborhood.

Without really getting into any kind of politics, but I think people that work for their money are more fulfilled than when people get money for nothing. Not to mention if you have a brilliant guy that's lazy and he decides he would rather take 1k a month rather than maybe working and then coming up with a brilliant idea or what have you would be lost. I am lazy and I could see my 18 year old self taking the cash, but when I hit 30 and realized that working for a living makes me feel like I am doing something I would never want to go back to getting free month.

I think college aged, maybe 18-25 it might be a good idea? Cut them off at 25 and hope they invest that free $1000 in order to start a good retirement? Who knows..
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #48

Alikair, in the end you will do what's best. Sounds like you really want to do this, and who knows, maybe you will like it so much that you don't want to settle down. If it's just you the space should be enough in a MH/TT/5er. It is for me in a 39' Montana 5er.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Do you have the safety net that allows you to buy a home after your done with you RV road trip?

Or are you one of those enlightened ones that laugh at the idea of ever moving back into a house?

Some of us DO laugh at those that would buy another house! Enlightened? Somewhat. Wise? Totally!!!!
I could easily buy another home, but wise enough to know that I can’t choose my neighbors. Renting is the proper safety net!!!
Always being able and ready to move again to another rental, and to enjoy new outdoor wallpaper, and to have new adventures, and to NEVER again have debt....is the simple, easy, sane, and logical answer.
There can always be a home port, albeit forever changeable. And, while still capable, we can always RV part time, while not having ever-rising taxes, and not doing any home upkeep, repairs, remodeling, yard work, etc.

The Journey is Our Destination!
We will fulltime RV until we cannot, or change our minds.

I look forward to your evolving plan changes, as you continuously learn how varied, versatile, and wonderful RVing really is.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Some of us DO laugh at those that would buy another house! Enlightened? Somewhat. Wise? Totally!!!!
I could easily buy another home, but wise enough to know that I can’t choose my neighbors. Renting is the proper safety net!!!
Always being able and ready to move again to another rental, and to enjoy new outdoor wallpaper, and to have new adventures, and to NEVER again have debt....is the simple, easy, sane, and logical answer.
There can always be a home port, albeit forever changeable. And, while still capable, we can always RV part time, while not having ever-rising taxes, and not doing any home upkeep, repairs, remodeling, yard work, etc.

The Journey is Our Destination!
We will fulltime RV until we cannot, or change our minds.

I look forward to your evolving plan changes, as you continuously learn how varied, versatile, and wonderful RVing really is.
Yah I will never buy another house. I have 2.5 acres of lawn/pond/trees to take care of BY MYSELF! raking leaves takes about 3-4 hours every weekend. I HATE raking leaves. But they are VERY valuable maple and oak trees so I will not be cutting them down. The back lawn is perfectly shaded and laid out so you could play football or whiffle/baseball without hitting trees unless you foul it off. The zillow on my house says it's worth $780,000+. Not sure if I will get that amount, but it is paid off from an inheritance from my grandfather. The home was originally purchased in 1976 for $37,000!!!! I live in a neighborhood where a bunch of rich people decided to live at too so it boosted every other house.

But no more homes.. after this one it will be apartments, unless I were to buy a condo or something. I HATE yardwork.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Do you have the safety net that allows you to buy a home after your done with you RV road trip?
Or are you one of those enlightened ones that laugh at the idea of ever moving back into a house?
We do have savings. We wanted to sell all this after 3 - 4 years and go overseas and travel. Airbnbs can be pretty inexpensive and we will have only what will fit in a small roller suitcase. I haven’t researched elderhostels but I will soon.

Sometimes, I want chickens and bees and home grown tomatoes. I wouldn’t mind a house. But where?? This traveling is addictive.

But, you can’t have it all, I don’t care what they say.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #52

It all depends on what you like. I,personally would never go back to standard housing. I really like the freedom I get with the motorhome.

Bruce Deville
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #53

Quote:
I am hoping to retire, sell my home, sell/give away all my stuff and buy a 32Ft motorhome a few years old.

Don't plan on being full-time for more than 2 yrs; just long enough to visit most of the state's then pick one to settle down and buy a home.

Problem is, my used MH will be around 70k and and based on 4% yearly depreciation 64k when I sell it.
As much as I would like to keep the MH, that money would be needed come time to buy a home again (along with the rest of my money).

I was wondering how many people had the idea of selling their MH after a couple years, but then stayed in their MH much longer, possibly blowing their exit strategy?

I really like the idea of being a single nomad, just don't want to be stuck that way a decade later.

This does not apply to folks that have enough funds to easily own a nice MH and a house...
Buy a towable and a truck. You will spend less and at least have the truck when you decide on a stick house.
You will never just depreciate the MH as you have stated. You will be trapped to stay in it. Also you will need a budget for repairs and tires. You are not going to get a MH at that price that won’t require maintenance dollars. Check around and since you will be a private seller unable to finance a buyer you will have a difficult time selling the MH. A towable at a third of the price would a much better choice.
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #54

Went to Alaska for 5 1/2 weeks in July 2017 and hardly saw any bugs. Maybe it's the time of year you go?
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #55

Travel trailer

We have just listed our 2007 Flagstaff travel trailer if you want a nice clean one and a great price 👍🤨
Stillkickn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #56

Woah! Reboot this plan.

To meet your specific goals:

Never, ever use the majority of your home equity to buy an rv. ANY RV.

Never (if you're on a budget) ever buy a new or nearly new motorhome.

NEVER, EVER under any circumstances finance an RV. The used RV market is filled with sad stories of retirees who owe WAY more than they could ever sell their rigs for.

The depreciation will be way beyond your estimate. It's significant enough that you should include it in your monthly expenses.

For a 2 year plan that ends with you coming out the other side with the most cash for a new home, your best plan is as follows:

Buy a well cared for and well maintained 10--20 year old diesel pusher from a few select higher quality brands such as:
Country coach
Newmar
Monaco
Tiffin
HR
Alpine
etc.

Spend between 30 and 50k and expect to lose half of that when all is said and done (two years later).

The more you spend above that amount, the more you will lose.

Check used rv ads and compare any brand between any two years and you will be shocked. 2007Alpine $80,000. 2005 Alpine $60,000. 2000 Alpine $30,000.

Now I'm sure some members will chime in with their resale success stories, but the scenario I describe is the best chance you have to minimize risk and maximize your remaining cash.

Again, this advice is specific to your goal and does not apply across the board for everyone.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote