RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #1

F/T regrets?

I am hoping to retire, sell my home, sell/give away all my stuff and buy a 32Ft motorhome a few years old.

Don't plan on being full-time for more than 2 yrs; just long enough to visit most of the state's then pick one to settle down and buy a home.

Problem is, my used MH will be around 70k and and based on 4% yearly depreciation 64k when I sell it.
As much as I would like to keep the MH, that money would be needed come time to buy a home again (along with the rest of my money).

I was wondering how many people had the idea of selling their MH after a couple years, but then stayed in their MH much longer, possibly blowing their exit strategy?

I really like the idea of being a single nomad, just don't want to be stuck that way a decade later.

This does not apply to folks that have enough funds to easily own a nice MH and a house...

Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #2

When I went full-time about five years ago I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it because I'd never been without a home that was attached to the ground before so living in a fifth-wheel full-time was new to me. But now that I've done it, I love it, I'll continue to do it, and I can't think of any other way I'd rather live. And by the way I travel alone.

I live in cool places in the summer, and warm places in the winter. I'm completely free to come and go as I please. I can stay someplace for months if I want to, or I can leave the next day. I eat when I'm hungry, I go to bed when I'm sleepy, and get up when I feel like it. Being a full-timer gives me the opportunity to be about as free as a person can be in this day and age.

As for buying another house that's attached to the ground and dealing with property taxes, noisy neighbors, yardwork, expensive repairs, termites, and worst of all looking out my living room window and seeing the same sight every single day, day after day until they drag me off to an old folks home! No thanks.

And my exit strategy remains the same as it always was, I'll come off the road when I run out of money, or I'm physically unable to continue.

theboondork.com

theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

do you have any other vehicles? the reason I ask is why not shop for a used pick up and travel trailer. I've got just under 30k in my 2010 GMC and my 2009 27' T/T both in like new condition. I think your real optimistic with the 4% yearly depreciation its going to be 5-6 years old when you try to sell it and its not going to be worth much, unless its in premo condition.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

We live in FL and the town allows us to park the MH beside our house. For what it costs to rent an RV lot for the winter, we can easily pay taxes and insurance plus the yard guy for a year.
So we decided to give it a full year on the road before selling the S&B. That was to be this year, but we got cut short by a family emergency. Still having the S&B was a good thing. So the plan is still to spend a full year on the road before selling the house, but we do plan to sell it.
Teamfoxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
some thing to think about more and more people are using mh as guest quarters after buying a house.
me i am 48 not alot of money my wife is ill and this was a way for her to have an adventure before she passes after that i do not have an exit plan, one day at a time
Old 12-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
I am hoping to retire, sell my home, sell/give away all my stuff and buy a 32Ft motorhome a few years old.

Don't plan on being full-time for more than 2 yrs; just long enough to visit most of the state's then pick one to settle down and buy a home.

Problem is, my used MH will be around 70k and and based on 4% yearly depreciation 64k when I sell it.
As much as I would like to keep the MH, that money would be needed come time to buy a home again (along with the rest of my money).

I was wondering how many people had the idea of selling their MH after a couple years, but then stayed in their MH much longer, possibly blowing their exit strategy?

I really like the idea of being a single nomad, just don't want to be stuck that way a decade later.

This does not apply to folks that have enough funds to easily own a nice MH and a house...
You can't see all of the lower 48 in two years. We've been out since 2006 and while we've been in every state and lots of Canadian providences, we are FAR from seeing it all. Unless you think you are going to drop dead two years after retirement, why not just keep your home, and take some extended trips. I don't think you are a full-time candidate.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
You can't see all of the lower 48 in two years. We've been out since 2006 and while we've been in every state and lots of Canadian providences, we are FAR from seeing it all. Unless you think you are going to drop dead two years after retirement, why not just keep your home, and take some extended trips. I don't think you are a full-time candidate.
Yikes! Have you been to Alaska? I had been to the southern part of Alaska during the summer, but I couldn't stand the bugs! So many bugs in the summer up there. Buddy of mine was working up there (pipeline) a bit north of Anchorage. The bugs! We went 4 wheeling and I had to keep my visor down or I would swallow bugs! I really wanted to 5th wheel to Alaska but I don't think I would be able to stand the bugs, and I wouldn't even attempt it in the winter.

Yah I had not planned on going lower 48. I wanted to keep west in the high/low desert mostly. Nevada/Utah/Idaho/Montana/Arizona/New Mexico ect ect. Mostly will stay south of Ely NV. I really wanted to boondock near area 51 too. I have never seen a UFO but I have been interested my whole life. I don't think there are aliens though.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

No regrets here.
“Regrets” would be dumping my RV and buying a house. Trading the greatest adventure and total freedom for another debt, chores, taxes, upkeep etc.....would be totally silly.
Seeing all of the gems in the US in 2 years would be impossible.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #9

Alikair, I have second thoughts about your plan, I question selling your house before you full time for a while. Second thing I question is the deprecation rate you expect, I think you'll be shocked what the real loss will be after 2 years, and if you need that money for a new house purchase,,I would be concerned.
Visiting states across the country in an MH is great,but to fully enjoy the life you'll need a second vehicle to wander about the area you camp. That means you have two vehicle expenses. Personally I think you'd be happier with a 5th wheeler and a nice P/U truck.
I got forced into being FT after a divorce ,, best option for me was a 5th wheel and a P/U truck. I have a son with property and I have a full hookup by his house. I'm loving it. Come and go where I desire and have a place to return to. No property taxes, just pay my electric bill and cable expense.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #10

I agree with the above posts. Don't do it. Do not sell your home and put yourself into a situation where you don't have enough income coming in to buy a house. Also, RVs depreciate way more than what you had wrote.

I would get a used ford f150, and a 28-30ft used travel trailer.. You can pick up both for 20-25k depending on the year of the trailer and truck. Used wont depreciate as fast as a new one off the lot. Don't stick your savings into that though. Don't rely on resale value to purchase a home in the future. I wouldn't sell the home your in now just to buy something that would depreciate faster than it would be to just rent an apartment in a different city.

If you do sell your house then do 6 month leases in different cities. Rent apartments. It would be cheaper for you than buying an expensive RV which wont hold its value.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboondork. View Post
When I went full-time about five years ago I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it because I'd never been without a home that was attached to the ground before so living in a fifth-wheel full-time was new to me. But now that I've done it, I love it, I'll continue to do it, and I can't think of any other way I'd rather live. And by the way I travel alone.

I live in cool places in the summer, and warm places in the winter. I'm completely free to come and go as I please. I can stay someplace for months if I want to, or I can leave the next day. I eat when I'm hungry, I go to bed when I'm sleepy, and get up when I feel like it. Being a full-timer gives me the opportunity to be about as free as a person can be in this day and age.

As for buying another house that's attached to the ground and dealing with property taxes, noisy neighbors, yardwork, expensive repairs, termites, and worst of all looking out my living room window and seeing the same sight every single day, day after day until they drag me off to an old folks home! No thanks.

And my exit strategy remains the same as it always was, I'll come off the road when I run out of money, or I'm physically unable to continue.

theboondork.com
You sound carefree, I like that. The only way I could be that carefree would be if I had a house or money to buy a house. What if you could not afford a house unless you sold your RV? Would you drive it until it depreciated so much that it would not be worth much?
That's my fear. My nest egg is going to be around 250K. Dropping 80K on a MH is tuff, not selling it in 2 years for 60K worse.
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #12

Alikair,,,don't do it ! :>) think twice. We don't know your location, we don't know where you would buy a house, but we all know you should be cautious in investing in a rig that is a money pit. I think I speak for most of us, we're glad you came here asking for advise. We can guide you with rv'ing but can't really advise you with your personal finance needs. The suggestions we've made are what we have seen and perhaps experienced.
FT'ing is not for everyone, you may totally enjoy it,maybe not, test the water first before jumping in. Sounds like your single, what's your family think about you heading out for a couple years. Would you circle back periodically, Are you the friendly type to make friends along the way.
Lots to think about

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

there's a lot of things you need to seriously think about before making the plunge. I couldn't do it even if I were single. we have been married 49 years and have accumulated quite a lot of stuff, nearly new custom home, many toys, nice shop to play in in the winter, great location, and no bills other than the usual. we have a 2 acre rural lot and I enjoy taking care of it, great exercise. I just couldn't sell out and do the full time, we do long weekends and travel for a couple weeks at a time. went to Alaska for about 4 weeks then the next year to South Dakota for 2 weeks had to cut that trip short. I think we will head towards Nevada and Utah this coming summer.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
You sound carefree, I like that. The only way I could be that carefree would be if I had a house or money to buy a house. What if you could not afford a house unless you sold your RV? Would you drive it until it depreciated so much that it would not be worth much?
That's my fear. My nest egg is going to be around 250K. Dropping 80K on a MH is tuff, not selling it in 2 years for 60K worse.
How old are you? What is your monthly income going to be? Are you on Social Security?

We don't ever intend to own a typical house again. We have a Park Model now that we got for 10K (furnished) and when we now longer are able to travel (currently spend 6 months in PM, 6 months on the road) we will sell both and either move in with our kids or maybe transition to assisted living. We are never going to have a house again with yard, etc. Not our style anymore.

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote