RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
One thing people really need to think about is the 'daily driver'. Even sitting for 3 months in the motorhome, there is no way I would want a big PU (F350/F450) as my daily driver. We love that we can go scooting around the area in the winter in our small, fuel efficient toad.
Agreed 100%. My Focus gets 40+ on the highway and low 30s mixed. (that was included in my Can go on and on portion of my reply LOL)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
One thing people really need to think about is the 'daily driver'. Even sitting for 3 months in the motorhome, there is no way I would want a big PU (F350/F450) as my daily driver. We love that we can go scooting around the area in the winter in our small, fuel efficient toad.
Yup... We concur...(1st generation Scion(Toyota) xB
manual trans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180621_181235.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	210834  

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #17

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I think it really depends what sort of traveling you think you'll do. As others said if you are staying "long" periods of time at one location then a 5er is appropriate. Long being defined as more than a month. The motorhome is just so much easier to make/break camp. And nothing compare to your living space being the correct temp once you arrive. Or have lunch/dinner. Or sleep for the night. It's raining and not having to slog through the mud to "set up" at a CG for the night. Can go on and on.
I did the analysis before I went FT and without doubt I made the correct decision for my way of travel - a motorhome.
Actually having had both, the fiver is just as easy for us to set up/break down.

And the only time we’ve stayed longer than a month in one spot was Thanksgiving to Christmas with the kids. By the end of 5 weeks we were more than ready to head out again.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Us to. No way we'd want a big truck with poor gas mileage

[while pretending our Jeep doesn't get 16 mpg]
Old 07-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #19

Our daily driver is a Honda motorcycle VTX 1300 that gets 50 mpg and the dually pickup is for backup transportation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2483.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	210862  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Oh boy, THAT discussion again ?!?!

It's entirely up to you...
look at the 'regular' progression of many folks- from suv, tent, tt, 5'er, motorhome... having had all of the above... Only you can tell what you prefer --- floor plan is critical, ease of setup is secondary...

We like:
not having to get out of the motorhome until we want to,
having a cool living environment before we get there and have to wait 2 hours for temps inside to drop,
ease of snacks, potty breaks for all but driver while underway, and not having to exit when it's the drivers turn...

the dog likes the coach much more too - tired of jumping into the pickup

good luck on your decision...
generator installed in a 5th wheel. crank it last fuel stop or an hour from stopping point. the 5ver is cool at arrival
Old 08-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #21

Besides the towed being smaller with a MH, I never had to worry about having to walk around in bad weather to set up for a stay. I'd just get the MH reasonably level, put out the slides, and voila. I'd just wait out the weather before hooking everything up.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #22

Did 5 years in a 5th wheel next time it would be in a 30' trailer lots of room full use of the truck and less steps.

Just our $.02
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Did 5 years in a 5th wheel next time it would be in a 30' trailer lots of room full use of the truck and less steps.

Just our $.02
We are just starting to investigate options to go full time when we retire. This weekend I finally got my wife to go look at some Rvs (at a show). We looked at some VanLeigh 5th wheels which are supposed to be at the top end. The first one we saw, she really disliked. When people walked around it started to shake and wiggle. She said that is exactly what she was concerned with about any form of RV. It also just didn't seem all that nice.

Luckily, the second Van Leigh wiggled a lot less (still too much in her opinion). but it was really nice. Amazing actually. It is possible they were wiggly because they were set up in a muddy field with wood chips blended in to make it less muddy. Maybe it was because there were 4-6 people in the unit at a time, but it still wiggled some with only the three of us in it. Do they normally wiggle a lot when set up on more solid surfaces? She said wiggly is intolerable to her.

When we toured some big Class As - no wiggle. They were nicer too although the layout was not as nice and they did not seem as spacious - just better quality stuff in them (better flooring, cabinets, fixtures, trim, etc). In the class As it still felt like you were in a trailer, although a really nice trailer. In the nicer Van Liegh, it was more like an apartment or condo (but kind of a cheap one).

One of the biggest differences is the shower. The 5th wheel showers are mostly cheap seeming and way too low (the one in the second Valnleigh had enough height available because it was rear bedroom, but they still used a low shower unit, so it woudl need to be modified but it was workable). The motorhomes had much nicer showers. Admittedly we were looking at $400,000 DPs vs $150,000 5th wheels, but both were ear top of the line for their type.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are just starting to investigate options to go full time when we retire. This weekend I finally got my wife to go look at some Rvs (at a show). We looked at some VanLeigh 5th wheels which are supposed to be at the top end. The first one we saw, she really disliked. When people walked around it started to shake and wiggle. She said that is exactly what she was concerned with about any form of RV. It also just didn't seem all that nice.

Luckily, the second Van Leigh wiggled a lot less (still too much in her opinion). but it was really nice. Amazing actually. It is possible they were wiggly because they were set up in a muddy field with wood chips blended in to make it less muddy. Maybe it was because there were 4-6 people in the unit at a time, but it still wiggled some with only the three of us in it. Do they normally wiggle a lot when set up on more solid surfaces? She said wiggly is intolerable to her.

When we toured some big Class As - no wiggle. They were nicer too although the layout was not as nice and they did not seem as spacious - just better quality stuff in them (better flooring, cabinets, fixtures, trim, etc). In the class As it still felt like you were in a trailer, although a really nice trailer. In the nicer Van Liegh, it was more like an apartment or condo (but kind of a cheap one).

One of the biggest differences is the shower. The 5th wheel showers are mostly cheap seeming and way too low (the one in the second Valnleigh had enough height available because it was rear bedroom, but they still used a low shower unit, so it woudl need to be modified but it was workable). The motorhomes had much nicer showers. Admittedly we were looking at $400,000 DPs vs $150,000 5th wheels, but both were ear top of the line for their type.
Any new rv (5th, motorhome or otherwise) should not "wiggle". If it did the stabilizer jacks were not set up properly IMO. Mine will "wiggle" only slightly when I am on an un-level lot where the front tires are off the ground. Other than that mine does not move and I am on a middle of the road gas motorhome.

$400,000 DP is not high end just so you know. They go considerably higher from there. MSRP of 400k on a DP these days are just little over the mid point. Before I retired I lived near Tampa and went to Lazydays on a regular basis and that is my reference point.
Floor plan is your first thing to like. But you need to spend a considerable amount of time on it. "Live" in it for hours. Is that sink where it is really going to work? That convection oven height is way too low. When the slides are in can you get around and do what you want to do comfortably? Is the TV positioned comfortable for the amount you watch it?
I would question the viability of RV living for you as a couple if your significant other is looking for top of the line S&B type furnishings.

RV living is very much about significant tradeoffs unless you have the deepest pockets and are among the top 5%ers in earnings of this country.

Tags
fifth wheel, motorhome