Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
OWO

Fifth Wheel vs Motorhome

Several years ago, my wife and I full timed for 6 years in a Mobile Suites 36 ft fifth wheel. I went back to work and we moved into an apartment. I am going to retire in 2 years and we will start full timing again. My question: Has anyone ever full timed in both a fifth wheel and motorhome? If so, which would you prefer and why? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks
OWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We're not fulltimers yet, but traveled in a 5er for 10 years before getting the MH. I would certainly choose a MH to fulltime!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are differences in full timing. If you're planning or going to a place and staying for 6-8 months a 5th wheel will do the job for you.
If you're planning on being on the road a lot, I would opt for the conveniences and comfort of the motorhome.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
One: depends on whether or not you have a tow vehicle or prefer a toad.
Two: what floor plan you find that you like
Three: and the notion that mh are for travel and 5ers to stay put, hornswaggle! We travel a lot in a 5er. My question about that is who made that rule?
Old 07-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Oh boy, THAT discussion again ?!?!

It's entirely up to you...
look at the 'regular' progression of many folks- from suv, tent, tt, 5'er, motorhome... having had all of the above... Only you can tell what you prefer --- floor plan is critical, ease of setup is secondary...

We like:
not having to get out of the motorhome until we want to,
having a cool living environment before we get there and have to wait 2 hours for temps inside to drop,
ease of snacks, potty breaks for all but driver while underway, and not having to exit when it's the drivers turn...

the dog likes the coach much more too - tired of jumping into the pickup

good luck on your decision...
Old 07-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

My take is that there is some convenience to a MH, but if full timing, it is your home and if things go wrong you are possibly without a home while it gets fixed. The fiver has the advantage there as seldom will the fiver have a problem that makes it unlivable.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
We actually moved from a 2001 class a DP to a 2017 5er that is warranted for full timing. Reasons: we couldn’t afford to upgrade to a much newer class a DP for what we paid for a solid reasonably new F450 and the brand new, 2 year full time use warrantied fifth wheel. Other reasons, we wanted a king bed, a residential fridge, and plenty of living space.

I do regret leaving behind the ease of backing but backing with a toad isn’t possible anyway. I do regret losing the front window but we have a back window now. As far as meals and other things mentioned, I always stayed seat belted in while in motion so no loss there.

In the 16 months since trading to our 5er and going full time, we’ve logged almost 12,000 towing miles, 24 states and still spent seven months in one campground but ONLY a month at a time. We’ve gone as far north as Maine and the UP of Michigan, as far as Maine to the east, as far west as Montana, as far southwest as Utah, as far southeast as FL.

The OP needs to look at what is out there, what he can afford, and make his own choice. We did.

But as someone else mentioned, trotting out old out moded arguments doesn’t help. I’ve seen lots on both sides, 5ers and class a & c both prematurely parked and very mobile.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #8

We full time in a FW and have met lots of folks that full time in a MH. Generally MH's are favored by the older crowd that tend to move more often, willing to spend their retirement $$ on a usually more expensive MH, and tend to use service garages for maint. FW owners tend to be younger and like ourselves will probably graduate to a MH as we age. FW owners tend to stay in a area longer either volunteering or working and don't mind driving a pickup as a go around vehicle.
That being said, there are a million exceptions out there and people will defend their choices fiercely.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #9

We full-timed in a 33' 5th wheel for 8 years and the last 8 years in a 40' motorhome. We enjoyed them both. However, friends got us hooked on Jeeping and it was time to get a new RV so we got a Jeep and motorhome. We had awesome experience with the Jeeping. We hated driving the big truck around with the 5th wheel. We didn't need repairs so no need to be without a home and for maintenance we always spent the night in our RV (home) on the service lots - often with electric. With the motorhome we never had a need to back up with the Jeep connected so that wasn't a issue. We volunteered for months at a time so yes, we stayed put at times. You don't need to drive a motorhome all the time. You can let it sit with no problems. We fit in many of the same public campgrounds (our favorite kind of camping) with both the 33' & the 40' so for us, size didn't matter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

There is no right answer. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Depends on what kind of travel and lifestyle you think you'll want to live. We did a ton of research and for us it came down to fivers often don't have the cargo carrying capacity of a motorhome, especially diesel pushers, and we wanted to keep our Jeep so we couldn't get a fifth wheel.

Try this:

https://youtu.be/zVuATX0PSpY
Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Our cats made our decision for us - - we had a small Class C before we retired and they did so well in it because they didn't have to move from home when the engine started. Plus I didn't want a large PU as a daily driver, and our manual Subaru was the perfect toad.

Still have our MH, we know her quirks now and like us, she just keeps on keeping on.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 AM   #12

heat in the living area of a 5th wheel. Start the genset in the 5th wheel an hour or so before stopping. nice and cool at arrival that way.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

I think it really depends what sort of traveling you think you'll do. As others said if you are staying "long" periods of time at one location then a 5er is appropriate. Long being defined as more than a month. The motorhome is just so much easier to make/break camp. And nothing compare to your living space being the correct temp once you arrive. Or have lunch/dinner. Or sleep for the night. It's raining and not having to slog through the mud to "set up" at a CG for the night. Can go on and on.
I did the analysis before I went FT and without doubt I made the correct decision for my way of travel - a motorhome.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
One thing people really need to think about is the 'daily driver'. Even sitting for 3 months in the motorhome, there is no way I would want a big PU (F350/F450) as my daily driver. We love that we can go scooting around the area in the winter in our small, fuel efficient toad.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, motorhome