Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #1

Question First steps towards full time

Hi, we are a family of 5 looking to live full time in our RV next summer. Being military we have moved 6 times in ten years so think this is a better option for us. To simply live to the basics and go where we need to easily for the next 9 years of his military career. I have 9 months to research this to death to see if it will work for our family. We have RV experience but only with a 24 foot camper for 2 weeks at the longest. We have stayed in a 400 foot vacation house up to 3 month before though so small places do not scare us. I am mostly concerned with making a good purchase that will work for us. Not sure where to start though. We are thinking a 5th wheel as I heard they are best for full timers and easier to tow. We will need a truck and 5th wheeler for less than $100,000. I am looking for something that can give each of my kids a lil bit of their own space (maybe a bunkhouse?) Things I can't live without are two toilets and plenty of storage. We have a small dog and cat. My husbands motorcycle is one of the 'must' things we must bring along, so maybe a toy hauler would be ideal? How long can you usually stay at an RV park? What is the 'average' cost monthly (although I'm sure this varies greatly depending on where you are)? What is a good size for our family to live comfortably (I'm thinking lots of slide outs will help). What are the must haves for a good investment in a 5th wheel. What kind of truck should we be looking at? Any tips, starting points, etc. for newbies would be wonderful! Until then we are weeding down our life to only the essentials, preparing for life on the road.
kleinaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First...thank YOU for YOUR service as a family member of a service member.

Some general thoughts....

2 toilets will require at least 40' if not closer to 42-43' Which means diesel pusher for a MH. I'm not as familiar with 5th floor plans. I think you are correct that a 5th wheel is a very good/best way to go for long term parking. If you can get 2 toilets in a MH, I would think a 5th would be available in the same configuration capabilities.

Finding long term slots that are affordable and some place you want to be in will be a major consideration.

Since you plan to park it mostly I would not think a toy hauler is essential. It is probably not a good safety practice and maybe even unhealthy to have gas storing toys in the same enclosure as you live an breath in.

Start reading up on FT blogs and read as much as you can on this. Concentrate on family based resources. There are major differences in retired couples needs vs the needs of a family of 5.

Your kids will be an interesting dynamic you will need to consider. You don't mention their ages but if they are young, they will get bigger and need more space. Their class mates may not be understanding of life style choices so communicate with them as much as you can. Once they hit teens you will need to be able to find a way to address privacy issues. In some states/counties/cities you might have some legal issues on sharing sleeping space based on age and sex.

Speaking of privacy, all family members need to understand limits of others and respect privacy. Each family member needs to respect when another shows signs of needing or outright asks for some alone time. Don't forget that "the walls are thin" and that affects how you work in confined spaces.

Some families can survive and even thrive under these conditions. A well laid out floor plan can help a great deal so do not skimp on anything in that area.

Properly insulated units are a must. You will probably be out in the open with minimal shade so a poorly insulated HOME with 5 hot, sweaty folks will be a challenge. This will be important in controlling your family's budget.

Perhaps you have already looked at these thoughts so I hope I haven't suggested things you already have looked into. There are lots of other factors others will chime in on.

Pass my respects to your military spouse.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Definately a 5th wheel. Their are several manufacturers that offer to toilet models. I agree you need to really think about the kids. My wife and our three elementary age boys lived in a 36ft 5er on our farm while I built the house. We stayed in it for 6 months and all was fine. Staying in it for that many years is a completely different story. You really need to be paying attention to quality. Few family models will have the quality to last that many yeas, which means you might need two or even three units as your family grows and changes. Thus, it might not be all that affordable!!
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

Thank you for the quick replies! Well, good thing is that it will be our house, so no other payments will be going anywhere, so I'm hoping it will be quality, but not going for luxury. Yeah, I was thinking we might not get it completely 'right' the first time and have to upgrade mid way. Do you think I'm being crazy thinking I can get everything for under $100,000 then? Would it be better to buy new or used, especially if I may have to adjust after a couple years? Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere were I can try them out first! Our children are 14, 8 and 6. Any good quality brands I should start looking at? I have just been looking at things as I see them drive by, but haven't found any family styles outside of one which had the 'bunkhouse' as they called it. I was hoping to stay on military base campgrounds and state parks but have heard they have length requirements I might not fit in. Good things to think about, keep it coming.....
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be aware that if you get transferred to an area with cold winters, living in an RV can be pretty challenging. Propane usage can be very high.

We have spent October and November in Grand Junction CO and went through a 40 gallon tank in five days or so. Days were usually in the high 30s to mid 40s and nights in the high 20s to mid 30s.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

Yeah, I told hubby to keep us in the nice warm places! lol

On that thought though, is that the main heat source? How much is propane? Another great thing to consider!

This is very helpful!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The propane furnace is usually the main heat source. If you don't have to pay extra for electricity (and when you rent a site by the month you usually pay extra for electricity) then many people supplement the furnace with small 1500 watt electric heaters. You will want to check to see which is cheaper to use.
If you go HERE you can download a small program that will make the simple calculation for you.
It allows you to enter the appliance efficiency.

According to an email to me from engineering at Suburban Manufacturing, the efficiency of RV furnaces ranges from 70 to 80 percent. Water heaters are 70 percent on gas.

I don't know about fivers but many motor homes use hot air vented from the furnace to keep the waste and water tanks from freezing, so you might want to check on that if you intend to use electric heaters.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fulltiming in an RV for military families has become more common with many changes in our world (economy, routine/repeated deployments, etc).

Because of this, many bases have opened areas for longterm RV parking - much like a Family RV Park. There would be no time limit for living there.

The basics for the RV will be no different than an apartment. You will probably want to get the most floorspace you can and 5th Wheel rigs can be BIG.

And an alternative is getting a Park Model Travel Trailer (no special truck hitch needed). Heck, you don't even need to own a truck for these...just rent a truck when it's time to move
Click image for larger version

Name:	claxxic-xt-exterior.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	25779

Best of luck and thank you for your service supporting a service member!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #9

Get a heat pump in whatever you buy and you won't have to worry much about propane. The new ones are good to about 30
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #10

You will probably not like my suggestion(s), but I think someone needs to present a different point of view.

Two adults, three kids, a dog & a cat and a total of two weeks RV experience....are you out of your mind!

1) You are planning to take $100K, which, I am assuming represents a pretty big chunk of change for your family, and sink it into a guaranteed "depreciating asset" ( both the truck & the 5er). Five years from now when your children decide to disown you and you decide it may be time to rethink this experience....you will have blown through $50- $75,000 bucks!

I appreciate that your military lifestyle does not lend itself to investing in Home ownership & over the past few years real estate has not been pretty, but spend some time talking to the older people you see in Campgrounds driving those nice shiny Diesel Pushers and you'll find that most, if not all, spent years paying a mortgage so they could enjoy an RV lifestyle. Regardless, if you can't invest in real estate take your $100K and invest in some thing that will be worth 200K ten years from now....in the interim find a nice family rental.

2) Hey...who am I to talk....my wife & I currently live full-time in our 37' MH (18mo.) .....But......One thing I can say for sure is these things were never meant to replace a House......and I am thankful everyday that I still have a home to return to when this RVing thing runs outta gas.

3) There is a reason these things are called ...Recreation Vehicles & not Recreation Homes...Nowhere near enough bathrooms or bedrooms for a growing family...you and your husband both need space & privacy...your kids need space/privacy (where will they study, talk with their friends, etc) .....heck your dog & cat need their own space! The heating/cooling systems, the sewage systems, the insulation, etc are not designed to replace a Home.....they have wheels for a reason....you are supposed to move them from place to place pursuing recreation & warm weather!

If you were my kids and were determined to pursue this strategy I would suggest...

A) In our travels just about everywhere we've been there have been "mobile homes " for rent. Rent one of these...they are usually much larger than even your largest 5er, they are insulated and plumbed into sewer, have a proper furnace & sufficient propane or natural gas hook-ups......

B) Why not try one of these things and see how it works for you & your family? Hey, if it doesn't turn-out to be what you expected you have lost nothing.

C) Take some of your $100K and buy a modest travel trailer & and a big tent....introduce you kids to the joy of camping (campfires, bar-be-que, friendly people)

Hey....in the end do what is best for you & your family. I do not know your situation. I just think you need to take a moment to step back and be "sure" this is a strategy that makes sense. Please.... before you fall in love with this idea and jump-in with both feet.....can you find a way to dip your toe in the water and make sure this is the right thing for your family.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #11

Which is why I didn't just go out and buy a trailer at the first thought. lol I am coming to this board to research the possibility. I know military families that do this and I am asking their advice/experience also. I think the smart thing, the 'not out of my mind' thing to do is to learn all you can about something before you leap into it. That is what I am seeking here. I shared my idea, and I completely respect your wisdom.

By the way, we have had an RV for many years, I'm just saying the longest we have stayed in one place with it has been two weeks. We have traveled across the country in it (going from WA to NC) and many times up and down the west coast. I only put that out there as an 'I'm sure a 24 foot RV is different then a 40 foot 5th wheeler' kind of statement.

I think it's just a tad harsh to think I'm out of my mind for asking for advice, and for saying my children will disown me....don't you think? I can not learn by doing otherwise.

By the way, we are a very close family, my children have always been homeschooled and my teenage daughter is one of my best friends......she loves the idea. We are missionary minded and are thinking someday even to travel as missionaries to another country to work with an orphanage. I bet you can give me a good 'parent' talk on that one too.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #12

Sorry.....it was never my intention to offend you....my bad. Just wanted to give you another perspective. I' m sure you 'll do what is best.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #13

No biggie, I need to know the good and the bad.....and not look at anything with rose colored glasses.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Two Cents or three

I think your idea is possible, but I would take a few weekends and visit as many rv dealers as possible and just tour through their units,this give you an idea of size and layout. Plus you can have the kids make notes, develop a criteria and vote on which one is the best. My wife and I are preparing to go full time in a 40 ft diesel pusher, our decision was based on visiting 25 dealers, plus 4 rv shows and talking to many many people including mechanics at freightliner, winnebago, etc. I would suggest that you consider a Park model, and or a fifth wheel as they have the most space and due to the fact that you would be staying in one place for long periods of time. Camping fees range from $300 per month all the way up to $1900 per month. For sure you can find something under 100k there are lots out there and I am a firm believer in buying used, especially 3-5 yrs old. Lots of people just upgrade for the sake of having the new thing and this is an opportunity to save dollars. Hope this helps and good luck.

cheers
Dennis

Tags
steps