RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo11111 View Post
We registered in Okaloosa county. We were thinking TX all along, but I started reading about FL and it sounded easier. We happened to be in FL at the time and were going to register in Sumpter county where the Good Sam mail forwarding office was, but my wife didn't want to drive inland to get there. So, we ended up at the Crestview tax collectors office on the panhandle which was on our way. Note that auto insurance rates for Okaloosa county are some of the cheapest in the state. Yes, the tax collector's office is where you need to go to register, get licenses, etc. Yes you need 2 proofs of FL residency (we chose our RV Ins and Good Sam mailing address and had USAA change over our address for extra measure). Yes you need to certify your mileage on a form. You do this at the tax collectors office. They will normally go outside a check your mileage, but the woman we had just wrote down the number I gave her. For your out of state vehicle, you will need to bring that notarized form. Yes, you will pay approx $500 to register for the first 2 years, but after that, renewal is only $60. The charge is based on the weight of your vehicle, but the cost difference between an A, B or C is not much. Perhaps for the vehicle you have to leave in CA for now you can declare it out of service to avoid CA gouging you for registration??
Thanks Jlo. I lived in FL in the early 2000's so I'm hoping they still have me on file so I won't have to pay the "New Wheel" fee, but even if so, still less than CA. We will also be mailing our stuff in, not appearing in person until we need to get our DL. If we do have to end up flying somewhere to do it in person then we want to make sure we don't run into any problems. We won't be leaving any car in CA, we only have our truck and fifth wheel.

Thanks for the all the info.

AJsPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #30
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsPilot View Post
Thanks Jlo. I lived in FL in the early 2000's so I'm hoping they still have me on file so I won't have to pay the "New Wheel" fee, but even if so, still less than CA. We will also be mailing our stuff in, not appearing in person until we need to get our DL. If we do have to end up flying somewhere to do it in person then we want to make sure we don't run into any problems. We won't be leaving any car in CA, we only have our truck and fifth wheel.

Thanks for the all the info.
This does not address your CA situation, but it might help someone reading this thread.

We live in FL. We have been FL residents for years. Currently we are in Sticks-N-Bricks, so having a mailing address is currently not an issue. Future full-timing will necessitate using a mail service.

Regarding registration and title for the coach: We purchased a class A from out of state and drove it home to FL last year. I used a Florida tag (aka, license plate) that I had saved from another vehicle we had previously registered in FL, sold, but kept the plate. By keeping that plate I saved the new tag fee of $225. RV's are charged according to their weight, but it is nowhere near the commercial truck rate of many hundreds of dollars on up. Our class A annual registration fee is less than $50. We did pay Sales Tax on the purchase to the state of FL (not the seller's state). The tax was based on the actual sale price.

From the seller, we obtained the out-of-state title and a "Bill of Sale" both signed by him. We brought those with us to the FL DMV office. They took those, issued a FL title, and registered our coach. The title took a few weeks to transfer. FL now is using a digital title which is kept in the state DMV files. One less thing for us to guard and keep safe.

We did need proof of insurance on the coach to show the DMV office. I already had a FL driver's license, so that was easy to show them.

Since we had the coach in FL, we drove it to the local DMV (actually the local tax collector's office handles the DMV work) for the clerk to check the odometer and VIN number.

I do suggest calling a FL DMV office and asking what the current rules are and explain what you are trying to do. We have found them to be helpful. I would guess that the DMV office in Green Cove Springs would be one of the best offices to call since St. Brendan's Isle mail service is also located there and the DMV office deals with folks moving in to FL frequently. Whether or not you use St. Brendan's Isle is up to you. Whether or not you use that DMV office is up to you. Any FL DMV office should be able to do the transfers.

Whatever you decide, congrats on your RV, and enjoy!

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
AJ, after reading Jlo's post, have to agree with him.

Since I am in Texas, can 100% confirm, you have to have your rig at the inspector's shop to get a vehicle inspection. They go through everything (Lights, turn signals, horn, tires, wiper blades, etc. and they also require proof of insurance to do the inspection). Have a good friend of 25+ years who does mine, and he will let me slide on just about anything, but refuses to let me slide not bringing my vehicle to his shop, yes I have asked as its always a PIA to take over just for a 2 minute glance and pay the $7 fee.

Since you have options, the no inspection part of Florida sounds nice to me.

Good luck!

well I to are in texas.
my annual safety inspection is waived if you do it online and assert the rv is out of state, with the caveat to get an inspection once you return..
i know i have gone hmm two cycles with no inspection, but still get a new registration .

as far as you bringing a rv into the state for first time....you need to call the TXDOT and get the skinny, as you most likely will have to have it it here for the initial registration and associated fees

the inspection IMO is a huge joke, once a year your lights, wipers and horn work

there is a push to get annual inspections removed on RVs and private vehicles, and our legislature is slow to re-act. but the txdot is not and has moved many inspections to not required.
Texasonline.com

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/new-to-texas

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote