Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #1

Florida Domicile & mail forwarding Service

Would love to hear from others that use St. Brendan's Isle mail service. I hear a lot about Escapees but very little talk about SBI Mail service.
I'm hoping transfer of Domicile, Drivers' License & Registrations from NJ to Florida is effortless with out to many hiccups. I read that they will assist with paperwork.

thanks,
Larry
Larry201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #2

I've been using SBI for several years, no problems at all. Previously used UPS Store for years but that went south when the store/franchise was sold and suddenly they couldn't find their asses with both hands.

SBI has been dealing with sailors and other travelers a long time.

I believe Escapees has a somewhat kludgy setup in that your mail goes to Texas and then Florida or something like that, but it apparently works.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #3

thanks for the input.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been using SBI for years. Yes they will help with the paperwork and instructions for getting your Driver's license, voter registration and such. Plus the DMV there is very used to SBI customers. It probably took us 15 min from the time we entered the building till we walked out with our new Florida license and voter registration. We also like the fact we can scan all mail they receive and either toss it or have them hold it to mail to us sometime in the future.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry201 View Post
... I'm hoping transfer of Domicile, Drivers' License & Registrations from NJ to Florida is effortless with out to many hiccups...
One normally doesn't just transfer domicile. Especially if you are trying to leave the heavily taxed Garden State. Hoping you realize you need to cut all ties to that "lovely" state. Sell all real estate, change bank accounts, etc. And if you own real estate now that will tax you if you sell and don't buy in the state again.
Left in '07 and never looked back
Old 02-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #6

They call it the Exit Tax. I asked our accountant about that and she sent me an article from
NJ.com called "Bamboozled: Understanding NJ's misunderstood exit tax"

Turns out that all the people (at least a dozen) that have warned me about the Exit Tax had no understanding of the Exit Tax.
We'll be putting our house on the market in mid March. The plan is to begin making the change over to Florida Domicile between the time that we get an offer on the house and closing date.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not sure about New Jersey's exit tax (left that state 45 years ago) but unless they have different banking and tax laws there you should not have to change banks if you are happy with your current one.

We do all our banking (99%) of it online and we have had the same Colorado bank account for 47 years.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

Banking No. Healthcare Yes
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Would love to hear from others that use St. Brendan's Isle mail service. I hear a lot about Escapees but very little talk about SBI Mail service.
I'm hoping transfer of Domicile, Drivers' License & Registrations from NJ to Florida is effortless with out to many hiccups. I read that they will assist with paperwork.

thanks,
Larry
There are some unavoidable hiccups. Mostly, the transfer of Title, Registration, and Fl. Auto Insurance. Driver License goes pretty smoothly. BTW, in general, banks don't like addresses that are re-mailers.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #10

Any idea of how much time I would have to be in Florida to transfer everything?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Any idea of how much time I would have to be in Florida to transfer everything?
I did my Title transfer and registration in an hour. DL is usually an hour. Insurance you can do online. Banking is "iffy".

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/
Old 02-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #12

We use SBI and they were very helpful getting us changed to Florida residents. We did everything related to the car, RV, bank accounts, etc. via the mail. Then about 30 days after that was all done we went to Clay County to get our drivers licenses and register to vote.

I have moved around for work many times and I have to say this was the easiest we ever had getting things setup.
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We spent less than 2 hours for everything. Easy and smooth process.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't understand what you see problematic about moving to florida. I moved this winter from Wisconsin down to southwest Florida. You have 90 days time to change your drivers license, and register your car. If your insurance does do business in Florida, you do not have to do anything about this. I am still banking in Wisconsin (online), but opened up an account here, to. Over time I will move all my banking stuff to Florida, because I like to be able to walk into the bank for questions, etc. If your health insurance does business in Florida, you can keep it, if not, take a broker to help you to find the best insurance.

The post office will forward your mail for 90 days (if you request it, you can do it online), and that should give you ample time to inform everybody about the change of your address .

Just be aware of the fact that Florida requires dogs and cats to be licensed , and the license can be obtained from the county, or in most cases from you Vet (for a small service fee),

It is relatively easy to move to Florida, and get all the stuff done.

Tags
florida, service