Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Friends and Full timing

All of our friends have known that our goal has been to go full timing for a long period of time, we have explained to them the reasons why we want to do this. Now that we have retired and have most of the house empty and are 2 to 3 weeks away from hitting the road, they really questioning our plans for the open road. Some are very upset that we are leaving, others are skeptical as to why we would leave a S&B for a 35' motorhome. It seems that they don't understand our excitement of wanting to be fancy free and foot loose. How else can we assure them this is something we have always wanted to do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think that you have to convince them. You only need to be certain for yourself. But you must understand that your leaving will be upsetting to those who are your good friends, but they will come to terms with it, and the best of them will remain your friends.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #3

We understand what you are experiencing (family can be worse). We found that true friends were just about as excited about our dream of fulltiming as we were. We are still in touch via phone, mail and internet. We moved into our motorhome in June, left our home of 18 years the end of June and have not regretted one moment. Afterall, it is your dream and life.
Steve1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

Assure them by emailing them pictures of your adventures. Better yet, start a travel blog at blogspot.com.
They may be jealous, but they will know you are okay.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
T&B,
Short answer, you can't convince 'em. When I retired in '08 I was talking to another guy I had known for several years. He was retireing too. He told of friends he had known for years, who's kids had done things with his kids and these friends were busy (now that the kids were gone) building larger houses and hugh garages. My friend said to me, you get it. It's time to move on. There are other things we want to do with our lives and our friends just don't understand why we are selling the house and moving on.
That said, there is a saying I've seen here on this forum: "To those that get it no explaination is necessary, to those that don't, no explaination is possible."
So, take off, stay in touch with those you care about and share your adventures (and mis-adventures) with them. GO FOR IT!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey, it is your life to live for yourselves, not your friends. If they do not understand the RV lifestyle, you will never convenience them.

We sold the house in April, I retired on 12 JUL 13 and we hit the road. We are doing some volunteer hosting at National Wildlife Refuges and State Parks. SO far we have met some great folks and having a wonderful time.

You are not nuts.....just wanting to enjoy life.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We have not gone full time yet but maybe in two years, and we are facing the same responses. We have told are girls (4) that they can fly out at anytime and join us where ever we are, its a free place to stay. All in all we have to be happy with the decision no one else. Enjoy yourself and don't worry about others, we all worked hard to be at this stage of our lives. Good luck and Enjoy.
Karen
Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are about a year from being exactly where you are now. On our 2 week trip at end of Sept we got reacquainted with a few of the things we love the most - the picnic table and of course camp chairs and cooking out. Shorter trips are nice but the longer we're gone - the more sure we are. Our longest trip was only 21 days. But that's where it really starts to take hold. How do explain that? I think it is hard for the uninitiated to grasp that so much of the time can be spent living outdoors - site seeing - and meeting new like minded people. I think they see a 35 - 45' living area as too small, without seeing the big picture. Like you, we're finding verbal assurances don't go very far. Our plan is to send them lots of pictures of our smiling faces at picnic tables and natural wonders. On the other hand - Annie's parents are in their 80's are fully behind us and while they were world travelers - never Motorhomed or camped much. Perspective?

Best of luck in your Grand Adventure.
The Journey is the destination.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
You taking the bull by the horns and doing what you dream of doing scares them because they have dreams to but are afraid to act on them. You will find that your 'true' friends will still be interested in what you are doing, though the friendship will change. And the others, well they really weren't friends after all.

One thing that you will notice after a time is that when you go back to visit, your interests will really diverge. Make the visit short - no longer than 3-5 days so that you can catch up, but not so long as it becomes obvious that they haven't changed and you have - - your perspective will change as you meet people from all over, see new things, new experiences, etc. You will find that they don't understand why RVers would spend 30 minutes discussing the various options for care of a black water tank while you will see it as normal exchanges with fellow RVers sitting around enjoying a beverage and great conversation!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Keep your first return to your old friends short is good advice.

When you ask:What is new?" They will respond "Nothing. Same old stuff."

Your response will be" Wait until we tell you about......"

Our family thought we were nuts at first. Now, they follow our travel blog and some are jealous of the fun we are having!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #11

I know exactly what you are experiencing and I haven't left yet either.. My question is, how am I ever going to make it these last 10 months 17 days ( not that I'm counting ) of working.. That road is calling me! I'm dying here.

Randy
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've always marched to a different drummer. My true friends know this and expect me to take the path less travelled. For me that is "normal", no one seemed to question our life style choice, probably because of who they know me to be.

Bottom line, who cares what they think? It's all about what you want and have worked for. Go for it, and have fun!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Larry & Barb,
We are not FT yet but counting the months and can't wait. Others on this forum have been very encouraging and one of the best tips we got was to make sure to at least give it 6 months. No matter what.
We doubt we will need 6 months to find out we really want to be FTers. When we are in the 5r we never want it to end.
Yes saying our good byes to neighbors, friends, grand kids, well there is no promise of a tomorrow any way right? We have lost friends much younger than us that passed suddenly. So enjoy this adventure. See and meet new friends. Today's technology allows you to stay in touch with them any way.
We will probably keep our home base CG for summers. We are certainly looking forward to this new adventure and we hope you do also! Be Blessed! Jim & Trina
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #14

Just tell them that you are sorry for them for having such a stagnate lifestyle.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote