Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

FROZEN

And not the movie
Woke up to a frozen issue...soon as we went to use water, had none, but the pump kicked on and keep running. almost like its out of water
no leaks under it that I see.
Our camper has the arctic package, and we are running off the tank.
but no skirting. don't get much cold weather here, usually above freezing.
upper teens last night and not suppose to get above freezing till this afternoon then freezing again tonight. thinking of tarp skirting and a heater.
Any other suggestions.
Yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #2

Yikes, hoping you did some cold weather prep. Sounds like you have frozen water in the tanks and pipes. That is not good. If that is the case, when things thaw, you may have cracked pipes and or tanks. I am so sorry to read about your issue. Best if luck
Old 01-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
It doesn't have to be the end of the world. All it takes is a small ice blockage to stop everything. Do you have a whole RV water filter and is it in a "wet bay?" That is where the blockage probably is.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #4

If the pump runs and no water , the line from the tank to the pump has probably frozen. Get a small heater into the pump compartment to warm it up . Running the propane furnace will help the lines. With temps in the high teens overnight , the lines should not freeze hard enough to cause any damage . The tarp skirting and heater will help.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #5

We are in the same issue but its -12. My pump doesn't run which has me worried but its too darn cold to go outside and open the compartments. We are trying to heat the basement with the furnace and such and hoping nothing happened major. Yesterday it froze up but after about 20 minutes the pump ran again. But appeared to be a tank to pump issue yesterday. Today pump may be froze also. Went down to -20 last night.

On top of that the propane appear to be causing furnace issues so its just fun and sun....
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
We are in the same issue ........ so its just fun and sun....
I hate your having it worse than us....And understand the -20....
were from Amsterdam area. last trip up hit -30
Old 01-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #7

Thanks folks, I thought the wet bay had a heat vent but doesn't.....yet...
temp was at 32 under there, and heater is added with fingers crossed.
On a side note, our drinking water is stored in an outbuilding, and was surprised to see it had not froze.....grabbed a gallon and it flash froze to slush instantly. never seen anything like it. Hoping the same didn't happen in the tank.....
Old 01-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #8

We found some 200 watt ceramic heaters at walmart from another on this forum. I put one in each wet compartment. So far they have kept up with the demands until today. The compartment with the pump has a heat vent but did not have a heater, so i just installed one there also. They are $10.00 and don't draw alot but if it helps keep me thawed tonight I'll be happy.

Watch power draws. I did run 2 of them thru a cord outside to a 20 amp pedestal plug. Luckily when i installed power at my parent I ran a 100 amp service, with a 70 amp panel at the pedestal. I have the 30 amp RV plug on its breaker and another 20 amp standard plug so I am able to do this. That has been a life saver so far.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #9

Heater in the bay didn't help, kerosene salamander blowing under the camper fixed it in a half hour. No leaks so far... Headed out for supplies to make some skirting
We only have a 50 amp RV box run from the house, no outlet in the front bay.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
25 last night. My tank heaters were all lit merrily

(one string of C-9 Christmas bulbs -2 lamps (Sockets bad) all checked and working, 1 100 watt caged lamp) all water was liquid INSIDE the bays and RV's

I am ..... However, a tad concerned about TONIGHT's predicted low. May have to add Propane to the task.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #11

Well my temp skirting dint hold up to the 13 degree night.....
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetavon View Post
Well my temp skirting dint hold up to the 13 degree night.....
11 overnight and we still have water...YAAAA
Old 01-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I run a 60w incandescent work light in my dump compartment. I use home cheapo pipe insulation on my water hose. I wrap the faucet head with a towel and tie it on. Most of the time frozen pipes occur right where the water comes out of the building or ground. bad news is if they break inside the wall of the structure. So, wrap the faucet head.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetavon View Post
On a side note, our drinking water is stored in an outbuilding, and was surprised to see it had not froze.....grabbed a gallon and it flash froze to slush instantly. never seen anything like it. Hoping the same didn't happen in the tank.....
Slush is OK. Really. If it freezes solid, it can break stuff. Slush can still act more like a liquid. Add some anti-freeze to the sewage tanks. It will help the sewage be slushy. Slush won't break stuff unless you're driving with tanks half full or so of slush.

You'll probably be just fine, just that you don't have flowing fresh water right now. Heat the RV. Turn the heat up. It should help. You'll spend more money on propane until you figure out how to use electric heaters, light bulbs, heat tape, etc., to get through freezing weather the way you want to.