Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
They are "so significant" that I have never run onto one yet. My last rig was 13 and never a problem
You've haven't been ask so therefore it doesn't exist? How nice. We are being asked more and more, usually with them walking over to look at the rig, if not actually going out and walking around.

Our winter park takes a picture/walks around any rig over 10 years old. Most people (it is a 55+ park) take care of their rigs, so there is no problem, but it is designed to give them a way to say no to any rig that they think will not be able to move when the rental term expires.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #30

Full time class A recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyu View Post
Makes sense to me.

Honestly that’s not a fair comment or completely true. Many of these parks just don’t want leaky junkers showing up.
Don’t worry about that factor. We had a 1997 class A for many years , never had a problem finding very nice RV parks.

Btw.. OP is asking about older RVs. There’s a thread for comments about 10 year old parks.

You should be able to find a nice RV in your budget, just be aware of upcoming expenses( Tires, batteries, insurances, component failures like fridges, a/c units etc)
Old 06-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
This beauty just posted on FB. Looks like a great deal.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #32
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Put a Newmar on your list!

Here's a good place to study floorplans and to get price ideas. There's a 2000 40' Country Coach for $20,000 (another good manufacturer) and also a 2000 40' Newmar Mountain Aire for $30,000.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

We spent many hours at the ppl website. Then we would go to some RV shows in the area, and sit inside the coaches, imagine cooking, relaxing, sleeping, etc., inside some. We made notes of what we liked and did not like; especially floor plans. Then we would look at the floorplans at ppl some more since we then had a better idea of what the two-dimensional floor plans looked like in real life.

Also, spend time on various areas of the iRV2 forums. Ask questions. Be prepared for a variety of answers. Decide which answers make the most sense for your situation.

We found our 1991 DP on rvtrader.com. We purchased it from a private owner. We had an experienced friend who knows RV's and DP's quite well look it over and test drive it with us. It was a luxury coach when new. That means solid wood cabinetry, great chassis, good design, etc. No particle board and/or stapled cabinets. All of the original appliances still work properly: washer/dryer, furnace, both air conditioners, water heater, microwave/convection oven, ice-maker, etc. The original TV's were still in the coach, but we are replacing them with current technology. This coach was built to last. I am doing a lot of the chassis and engine maintenance, and interior work myself, which will save me $$$.

Another recommendation is to hire a RV inspector to go over the RV you want to buy before you make a final commitment. This is similar to hiring a home inspector for buying a house. We did not do that, but had a trusted friend help us with the inspection. Others can comment more about inspections.

Good luck and welcome!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
You should be warned that there are a significant number of RV parks that will not let an RV in that is more than ten years old.
Yes, so many that in the past seven years I’ve encountered 2 of them.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Yes, so many that in the past seven years I’ve encountered 2 of them.
Obviously you have different tastes in parks that others do.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't worry about the folks that say it isn't a problem. They aren't worried about it, and they tell others not to be concerned. And you don't need to be concerned, apparently, but at least you've heard about it, and what others have gone through.

But I'm clearly wrong.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:23 AM   #36

Definitely hire an inspector. Even on a relatively new coach it would have saved me a bunch!
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post

We spent many hours at the ppl website. Then we would go to some RV shows in the area, and sit inside the coaches, imagine cooking, relaxing, sleeping, etc., inside some. We made notes of what we liked and did not like; especially floor plans. Then we would look at the floorplans at ppl some more since we then had a better idea of what the two-dimensional floor plans looked like in real life.

Also, spend time on various areas of the iRV2 forums. Ask questions. Be prepared for a variety of answers. Decide which answers make the most sense for your situation.

We found our 1991 DP on rvtrader.com. We purchased it from a private owner. We had an experienced friend who knows RV's and DP's quite well look it over and test drive it with us. It was a luxury coach when new. That means solid wood cabinetry, great chassis, good design, etc. No particle board and/or stapled cabinets. All of the original appliances still work properly: washer/dryer, furnace, both air conditioners, water heater, microwave/convection oven, ice-maker, etc. The original TV's were still in the coach, but we are replacing them with current technology. This coach was built to last. I am doing a lot of the chassis and engine maintenance, and interior work myself, which will save me $$$.

Another recommendation is to hire a RV inspector to go over the RV you want to buy before you make a final commitment. This is similar to hiring a home inspector for buying a house. We did not do that, but had a trusted friend help us with the inspection. Others can comment more about inspections.

Good luck and welcome!
I agree 100% on having your RV inspected before making your final decision.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #38

Coastal Campers
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have an Inspection

Whatever brand you decide on, get a certified RV inspector, because you can find a honey or a lemon regardless of the brand name. See NRVIA and this video:
jkinnebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
This beauty just posted on FB. Looks like a great deal.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Tried to follow the link but got the following message:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinnebrew View Post
Whatever brand you decide on, get a certified RV inspector, because you can find a honey or a lemon regardless of the brand name. See NRVIA and this video:
Such GREAT info.
When I was looking my first time out I found and RV that was PERFECT I thought so I hired an inspector.....He found MAJOR problems within a a short time, he refunded most of the money for the inspection. I will would use him again if he were still around.
Karlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Tried to follow the link but got the following message:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
Works for me.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Works for me.
Is this a closed group that you're a member of? I tried a couple of times but it wouldn't let me see the post.

Tags
class a, full time