RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie71 View Post
Howdy,

The wife and I are building a five-year plan to get us out of our house and living full-time in an RV. Right now we are leaning towards a fifth-wheel toyhauler so I can keep my motorcycle.

Anyways, I am coming up with a big list of pros/cons, dumb questions, etc.

My first question, having learned from my first RV that every trip requires some sort of maintenance, what do you do when you need to do repairs? Do you just do them at the campsite, or are there better places to go?
All depends on the issue and how much DIY capability you have and if the issue can be done in a campground. Most house issues can be fixed where you are. I do as much DIY as possible. Forums such as this are a huge resource for help. Mobile RV techs are available many places. And there are if ciyrse RV repair shops. No single simple answer to your question.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #30
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Hope you never deal with ruptured disks,bad hips, arthritis, cataracts, bad knees, weak arm due to stroke, after effects of chemo and/or radiation, and all the other assorted problems that can arise as one ages.
LMAO. Yeah I already deal with a couple of those but I manage. The day I can't maintain our house is probably the day I can't drive it either and that's when we'll settle down somewhere nice that we've found along the way.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
I just replaced my condenser fan assembly while parked in my current CG...... No big deal.... Didn't ask permission; just crawled under coach and did the necessary work..... I doubt the CG even knew what I was doing.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Mario’s,

What do you do with 6 gallons of used oil when you are in a park?

I would ask what else you do, but I take it that your hobby is working on your MH and toad. We didn’t retire to do that, Worked lots of years with no vacations so that retirement funds cover maintenance/repairs while we go exploring the areas that we visit.

I don't look at full timing/retirement as a vacation. The same things I did in my S/B house, I still want to do in my RV rig only now in different locations. I was always self sufficient in my younger life and I still practice that style today.
I return my used oil to local Walmart's in the same containers I bought the oil in.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I assume you meant Marjoa,

I have installed a Fumoto drain plug and simply attach a hose to it and drain the oil into a low profile 7 gal. jerry can with a lid on it then take to the nearest auto parts store and dump it in their recycle bin.

Not a hobby but I do like keeping our rig in tip top shape and it's fun to do. I've always taken pride in taking care of the things I own. Not paying someone else to do it and hope it was done right.

I don't like spending my retirement funds to have somebody else do what I am totally capable of doing and doing it better. No one will take care of our MH better than me. As I do these assorted PM items, I'm able to inspect and see other areas that may need attention before they cause problems. Doing it this way has saved us a ton of money and gives us more funds to do more fun things, and I have the assurance that everything was done right and I know our rig inside and out. Keeps my mind sharp too.

BTW...did you see the recent thread that's going on right now about a guy that did exactly what you do and the mechanic didn't tighten his oil filter tight enough and it leaked oil everywhere coming from Washington down to AZ. He was lucky it didn't burn up his engine.
Oil leak and what a mess

I'll give you another example:
When we were looking for a coach we looked at a DP from a private owner out in the country. We talked to him on the phone a couple times to vette this MH possibility. He told us that he has had all regular service and has all the receipts and everything is in tip top shape. This coach sounded like it was Cream Puff. We drove 3.5hrs. to go look at it. I brought my creeper with me and crawled under the chassis to verify his maintenance and just give this baby an overall look over. And yes his shop did indeed grease the chassis regularly alright, but they failed to tell him that he had blown out all the ball joint boots. There was grease all over the place. The boots could not hold grease and the ball joints were shot. As I crawled to the rear of the coach his high pressure pump was leaking oil too. So he took his coach to the shop alright. Probably a $7, $8, $9/hr. grease monkey got up in there and greased his rig and didn't pay any attention to what was going on. This fella paid his funds thinking it had been done. I could go on and on but my point is self evident.

This is EXACTLY why I do my own work.

Now in all fairness—recently in Florida—I had our front end aligned and had all our outside fabrics replaced including 3 new window awnings installed by outside folks. But I can assure you these two services were very carefully vetted and both came out very nice.

I do appreciate the question though so others may be inspired to be self reliant.
I do as much as I can. Took my '02 DSDP into a well known shop for an alignment. When done the mechanic said lets take it for a ride, so we did. We got to talking and he said that I should congratulate my mechanic because my ball joint boots looked great and not overfilled. Felt good to tell him I was the mechanic.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:47 AM   #34

Im 3 .5 years now full time in my DP with no home base. I have been able to occasionally stay somewhere that I can do work. Two times it was 2 relatives acrerage homes and currently Im at a place where I can do about any work.

I find I accumulate numerous projects which can be put off until I have a place to do them then I work off the list of projects.

I once had the alternator go out and the next day I parked at a day use park, removed the alt, found a rebuild shop who had an alt on the shelf and I had the new one on by the early afternoon.
I have been resourceful and lucky so far.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #35

We have just started full timing and this was something I wondered about as well. I plan to do most of the maintenance and repairs while in the cg but some of the big things I will most likely let a diesel repair shop handle. I brought plenty of tools and have found I use them most every day. Last week I removed the front steps and took them to a welding shop and had new steel treads welded on so yesterday I painted them and re installed.
IMG_3946 by H W, on Flickr
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #36

I carry a cheap 110V wire welder and have used it many times in our travels. Note the custom carpeted storage box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WelderBox.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	228149  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #37

I wish i brought my welder I would have used it several times already! I like that set up ..good idea.
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie71 View Post
My first question, having learned from my first RV that every trip requires some sort of maintenance, what do you do when you need to do repairs? Do you just do them at the campsite, or are there better places to go?
Back to OP's original qs . . .

It's one thing to do maintenance at a campground. However, unless you're "lucky" enough that your RV breaks down in a campsite, I suggest you start full timing with a good towing service like Coach Net.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #39

I do repairs/upgrades when we are parked for a week or more. I do all minor repairs and maintenance like cleaning/resealing the roof. The park I winter at allows rig washing so the cleaning part is no issue. Not all parks allow washing.

If it was something major like an AC replacement, I would call a mobile repair person. I have seen them at multiple parks/campgrounds. If you have a major repair like an AC/fridge/furnace, I'm not sure any park would deny you getting that fixed. We live in ours, so I'm not keen on dragging it anywhere and leaving it unless absolutely necessary.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofDburg View Post
If you have a major repair like an AC/fridge/furnace, I'm not sure any park would deny you getting that fixed. We live in ours, so I'm not keen on dragging it anywhere and leaving it unless absolutely necessary.
What about engine issues?
Old 12-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
What about engine issues?
I'm sorry, I should have clarified I have a 5th wheel so I don't have those issues. My neighbor with a motorhome that had leaking freeze plugs on a Cummins diesel pusher drove his rig to a truck repair garage when we were at a park in TN to have that done. Something about difficulty finding the correct size. Otherwise, the mobile repair guys had initially planned on doing it at the park according to him and from the antifreeze I saw on the ground
Old 12-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #42

First question I would ask myself: Does it make financial sense to sell my stick built which will appreciate with time to invest in a item that depreciates as soon as it gets titled? Why not rent out the SB to make the RV payments? The interest on the loan might be a tax deduction as a 2nd residence. Or take a 1st or 2nd mortgage to pay for the RV?
I want to have my money in something that will go up in value, not depreciate instantly. It's easy enough to have your cake and eat it too.

Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, full time, maintenance, repair