Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Full Time - Maintenance and Repair

Howdy,

The wife and I are building a five-year plan to get us out of our house and living full-time in an RV. Right now we are leaning towards a fifth-wheel toyhauler so I can keep my motorcycle.

Anyways, I am coming up with a big list of pros/cons, dumb questions, etc.

My first question, having learned from my first RV that every trip requires some sort of maintenance, what do you do when you need to do repairs? Do you just do them at the campsite, or are there better places to go?
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie71 View Post
Howdy,

The wife and I are building a five-year plan to get us out of our house and living full-time in an RV. Right now we are leaning towards a fifth-wheel toyhauler so I can keep my motorcycle.

Anyways, I am coming up with a big list of pros/cons, dumb questions, etc.

My first question, having learned from my first RV that every trip requires some sort of maintenance, what do you do when you need to do repairs? Do you just do them at the campsite, or are there better places to go?
Depends. Some RV parks and campgrounds frown on maintenance and repairs in their sites. Some are okay with it. You can pretty much do whatever you want out boondocking...within reason. I changed my generator oil at a Thousand Trails. No one complained. I've seen folks up on their roofs tearing AC's apart or under a rig doing serious work. There are plenty of opportunities. Read the rules or ask.

And you wouldn't be the first guy to change his oil at a Wal-Mart or Autozone.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We have a DP, for house problems we use mobile RV techs if the park allows them. For chassis, we have routine maintenance done at a truck/RV diesel service place and generally use Coach Care facilities for urgent repairs while traveling.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Thanks. I definitely fall into the category of overplanner. Given five years to plan I may actually go crazy before we get out there on the road.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

We do any repairs needed on the road. Knock on wood nothing serious so far.

If it is something I can handle I do it when we are stopped for a week. Preferably close to some place where I can get parts. I currently have a valance and shade needing replace but waiting till we reach family in florida.

If you need help go to Quartzsite for a few weeks, always a lot of people with experience and tips to help, lol
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #6

During the 7yrs we FTd had a few major repairs done.....
2 trips to factory because they had the parts and appointments coincided with our travels. They had the 5vr for 3 days each time and we stayed in local motel

I repair done partially at an Independent RV Repair Facility....3 days and then rest of repairs done at the CG
All other repairs were done using a Mobile RV Service (after speaking with CG Staff) or by ME.

Being FT means being flexible and self-reliant
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've been fortunate not to need a mobile tech but have replaced a transfer switch and hydraulic leveling jack, replaced 6 house batteries and tore down and rebuilt an awning in a campground. Always asked at the office - and always had lots of folks stop by and offer help. Fellow RVers are a great resource ...
Old 11-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #8

Maintenance and repairs done in parks is iffy depending on what kind of parks you stay. Most folks wouldn't want a repair shop next door and changing fluids can leave a mess for the next occupant. Best to check with the office first.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

This is something I've wondered about as our 5 year out date approaches.
I have no problem with changing oil and brakes, although I'll probably let a service center change fluids so they can dispose of them properly.
As far as maintaining the TT, we'll see what needs to be done and see if I think I can handle it.
My big question is TT bearings. How do you get those packed while full timing? Is that a CG question to see if it's ok?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
As a full-timer, one of the most important things I’ve learned is to NOT over-think everything.....

No matter how though you think things through, there’s always gonna be something “you hadn’t planned” on....

When that happens, you just deal with it.... You either do it yourself or have it done by someone else....

I want to spend my time enjoying the lifestyle and not go around worrying about “what’s gonna happen next and how do I deal with it”

Normal maintenance and upkeep will help u avoid most issues..... Some unexpected “things” will happen as well....

I had a front wheel bearing go bad so I went to closest Freightliner service center, spent a few hours there and then hit the road with new bearing installed.... Hadn’t planned on it but just dealt with it and moved on.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
As a full-timer, one of the most important things I’ve learned is to NOT over-think everything.....

No matter how though you think things through, there’s always gonna be something “you hadn’t planned” on....
Couldn't agree more. We planned for six years. It was tough waiting to live our dreams and I promise we spent a lot of time researching, planning, worrying, wondering, etc. Most of it was wasted. You just can't know much of what you'll face until you get on the road and then it's often not that big of a deal anyway.

I doubt there any other way to pass the time until that magical day you hit the road but chances are you'll be shocked at not only how much of your planning goes right out the window but how easy the lifestyle really is.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
AMEN....

Once our decision was made, 90% of my time was spent on the “Allstays” app listing all the CG’s that might be of interest to us (location, price, etc) in the parts of the country we knew we’d be headed to.. (listed by state with cities in alpha order).

About 300 of them and counting....

Now I simply look at my list for CG’s in the area we r headed to.... makes life soooo much easier....

I look for COE’s first followed by USFS and BLM’s.... I’ve also located dozens of CG’s that have super locations and great monthly rates.... (a super location for us is in the Mts, or close to lakes or streams.... If it’s over $400 month, it won’t make the lit’s.... it’s amazing how many wonderful CG’s for $325-$350 a month are out there....

Of course, we are adding to it as we go....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Perrin View Post
This is something I've wondered about as our 5 year out date approaches.
I have no problem with changing oil and brakes, although I'll probably let a service center change fluids so they can dispose of them properly.
As far as maintaining the TT, we'll see what needs to be done and see if I think I can handle it.
My big question is TT bearings. How do you get those packed while full timing? Is that a CG question to see if it's ok?
Remember, that 5 or 10 or 15 years from now there will be a lot of things that you do NOW that you will find difficult to do as you age. The years take a toll on our bodies - now way to get around it.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #14

We planned for 10 years before retirement to go full timing and are now 6 years into our 15 year retirement. We went the fifth wheel route with a swivel trailer to haul our GL1800 first and now a VTX1800. The wife did not want a motorcycle in her living space! I carry most tools to do any repair job with us that I am comfortable using, such as a wire welder, hand grinder, etc. For major repairs, I try to hold off until reaching our son's house during the summer months where I have replaced our slide out roof/wood, install residential refrig, wheel bearing inspection/grease, swapping hitch/gear to a new truck, fabricating rear hitch for trailer. I have replaced the truck brakes and changed oil in private campgrounds and usually get permission first. Most maint items are done on the road as they arise such as caulking and waxing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameo2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	225881  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, full time, maintenance, repair