Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Foisy View Post
There is fuel, food, maintenance, camp grounds, registration, clothing, cleaning supplies, club registration, insurance on the RV and car.
I'm sure from talking to other Rver's that a house is much more costly.
Bob,

Simply put - Nobody can tell YOU what your budget will be, there are way to many variables.

Fuel - What do you drive? How often do you move it? Are you a lead foot? Do you stay only out west in the mountains and use more fuel?

Food - Some people dine out almost every night at 4 star restaurants, when they don't they dine on filet mignons and lobster. Others like spaghetti and meatballs and ramen noodles. So the food budget can vary all over the place

Maintenance - Are you going to buy a brand new Class B with simple systems or a 20 year old Diesel Pusher that has been neglected. My maintenance costs have varied, generally the newer and smaller units are cheaper the older and larger units are more. Diesel maintenance is at least $400 a year, Gas can be as low as $75 if you do your own work.

Campgrounds - Where are you staying - boondocking can be free, this last winter I stayed for one month in Tucson on my friends ranch for free, next winter I will be in Key West for a month and it will cost $2400. Resort style accommodations can be upwards of $100 a night while wal-marts are free and you can find everything in between. Generally if you stay a week you get a better deal than a few days here and a few days there.

Registration - Again it depends upon the state and their rules. My state is pretty cheap but they charge by GVW. In the state I lived before this one my coach would cost almost 1000% more to register and keep on the road.

Clothing - Are you a shorts and T-shirt type of crowd or do you like the finest threads and scoff at people who buy their clothes at Nordstroms as being heathen fools. It also depends upon how you travel, we follow the seasons so we are in constant flip-flop mode but that's us, you may love seeing the snow fall outside your rig and then you will need clothes to match.

Cleaning Supplies - I know some people who don't carry one cleaning implement on their coach. They have services come out and clean their coach. They have detailers wash the outside and Merry Maids or some other service do the inside. I have also been inside a few coaches that look like they have never been cleaned in the last 5 years and other coaches that sparkle so much I have to wear sunglasses. So again this all depends upon what you do.

Club Registration - This could be as little as ZERO or as many as you want to join. I pay less than $100 a year for the two clubs I belong to but I know people that have joined several high dollar clubs costing them over $1500 a year. The choice is yours.

Insurance (RV and Car) - Some people will only go with progressive or other brand name insurance carriers, they pay more. Others use smaller companies that specialize in RV's they are usually cheaper. Plus like all insurance it depends upon your STATE, the worth of your RV and CAR.

Hopefully you can see that there are just too many variables to answer your question intelligently.

I will however tell you this, I have RV'ed for almost 20 years and started full-timing just over a year ago. So far I have spent LESS than I budgeted for full-timing. However, unlike others I have spent MORE per month than I did with my S&B. That's because we like to tour and see things, we tend to splurge on fun stuff, like helicopter flights, day cruises, museums, jet-boat rides, cave adventures, sailing trips, etc. etc. These add up and are purely discretionary but we get sucked into to trying to see everything we can when we visit new places.

Good luck.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I will however tell you this, I have RV'ed for almost 20 years and started full-timing just over a year ago. So far I have spent LESS than I budgeted for full-timing. However, unlike others I have spent MORE per month than I did with my S&B. That's because we like to tour and see things, we tend to splurge on fun stuff, like helicopter flights, day cruises, museums, jet-boat rides, cave adventures, sailing trips, etc. etc. These add up and are purely discretionary but we get sucked into to trying to see everything we can when we visit new places.

Good luck.
And that is the great part of this lifestyle.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've been full time for 6 months. I still have to keep reminding myself I'm not on vacation. I always feel we should go somewhere and see something. Its just not necessary. Expenses are gradually going down each month.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #46

When we were living in the S&B our budget was $165 a day year round. Thats what it cost us to live they way we did, and do the things we did. That included everything- food, ins, car payments, mortgage, travel etc.
For our fulltiming we are down to the $110 mark and could easily drop to the $75-80 a day if needed. We could definitely go cheaper than that if we boondocked or mooch docked more with friends and family.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I am with you, We will go into Full-timing pretty much Debt free. We will have the monies from the sale of the S&B, sale of a old classic car, Garage sale monies, and SSDI. We don't eat out but maybe once a month if that, we are both great cooks. All in all I think we will be ahead of the game for a few years. We are going to take our time traveling, No hurrying around. We have never lived on a budget so that will be a shock I am sure. We are going for it.
The picker guy sounds like the way too go. I have a very large collection of Dept 56 to get rid of, & 50 years of collections.
My neighbor had a estate sale and the company that she found to do it took more stuff out of the house and into there cars,than what went out after the sale this went on for a week before the sale.
I will not go that way.
We are planning on being out of the S&B by Oct, Nov, I am sure it will take that long to empty the House and sell it.
Has anyone ever used a company that will rent and take care of the S&B while your away? I have heard of a place that does it, but have never talked to someone that has used this type of service. If I go that way I don't want to have anything to do with it while I'm on the road.
tb
Well after a 6 month no talkie too brother (he's 1/2's on house) I talked to him yesterday, a short talk but, he is with me for selling the S&B's
So the garage sales are a coming when the weather warms, so much to sell but I think I am making the right move. Its time I moved on to fulltime.
A previous OP suggested a picker so I am going to look into that option for some of my more expensive items and collections.
We are still looking at Oct, Nov before we leave so that will give us time to do a few upgrades/repairs on the old gal, water pump, radiator, hoses, belts, breaks (work fine currently) and tires, shocks.
Lots to do, but we Can't wait.
The hardest thing to sell will be my 64 deville, it would be nice to take her as the toad but just not fesable I would need to buy a pretty big trailer
Stop by a sale if in the Twin City area this summer and buy something
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, rving