Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Full-Timer Discrimination?

We have been domiciled in South Dakota for the last 2 years. This month we decided we would finally buy a firearm to carry with us. Since this can only be done in the state in which you are domiciled, we returned to SD. We had a couple of stores refuse to sell to us because the address on our drivers' licenses included a "PMB" number. We finally found one that was familiar with the law and said no problem (Thanks, Scheels!). That being done, we signed up for our basic handgun classes (not required, but we need them). We then started the process for getting our concealed carry permit. Now we are being told that in order to get a CCW permit, we must show a receipt documenting that we have been in our county for 30 consecutive days from a RV Park. Due to other commitments, we will not be here for 30 days.

I considered myself a resident of SD since I vote here, and pay my car and RV registrations (i.e., taxes) here. If I'm not considered a full citizen of the state, why bother? Are other popular full-timer domicile states (i.e., Texas, Florida, Washington, Wyoming) the same. Am I just whining needlessly?
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #2

That seems to be the law in sd.Spend a month there if you can and get it done.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

Yes, Full-time RVers are discriminated against in many ways. SD is easy, only needing 30 days of being there for a CCW, and one night for residency.

Wait until you want to purchase a new RV, and find that almost no companies want to finance an RV driven by a homeless person. Same thing for a new auto.

And then wait until you're ready to leave the road, and find that you don't have 3 years of a permanent address (again to qualify for a loan). Or to qualify to rent an apartment.

And when you do work out all the kinks, imagine your joy to discover that your new home state wants the difference between the 3% you paid for your RV taxes, and what your new state charges (depending on the state, of course).

And if that's not enough, just try to get the Postal Service to forward your mail from your PMB address......

But hey, it's worth it, isn't it?

G L Arnold
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't help with the discrimination about being a full timer unless you do what we did. We purchased a Condo and our son lives in it. If we go full time that is the address we will use.

As far as having a weapon for protection buy a shotgun. You can get one at a gun show without having to go through all the hassles.

A shotgun doesn't require a CCW and is legal in most places. Some states do require it to be unloaded and separated from the ammo.

A pump shotgun will usually scare the hell out of anybody just by cranking the action.

A shotguns pellets won't penetrate the walls of your neighbors unless you are real close.

You don't have to be as accurate.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Jon, thanks for the advice on the shotgun, but that isn't the point. The point is I'm a US citizen and a citizen of the state of SD with no criminal background. Why should I be treated the same as a felon?

GL Arnold, wow, I hadn't even thought of those things. We don't plan on buying any new vehicles or RVs (knocking on wood), but we will eventually hang up the keys to settle when we finally find "THE" place (several years down the road). Guess I better up the monthly savings so we can pay cash.

I guess I'm more surprised than anything else. I really didn't even think that because my home has wheels that people would find me untrustworthy. This is something I wish I'd known 2 years ago when we decided to full-time.

Lynda
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #6

Law states you need an address...you have 1, even tho it might look suspicious to some that do not understand the RV full timer lifestyle. Really can't blame the retailer due to all the gun legislation that has been in the media the past year or so.

Bottom line, you got what you wanted...so it's all good
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat View Post
We have been domiciled in South Dakota for the last 2 years. This month we decided we would finally buy a firearm to carry with us with CCW. Since this can only be done in the state in which you are domiciled, we returned to SD. We had a couple of stores refuse to sell to us because the address on our drivers' licenses included a "PMB" number. We finally found one that was familiar with the law and said no problem (Thanks, Scheels!). That being done, we signed up for our basic handgun classes (not required, but we need them). We then started the process for getting our concealed carry permit. Now we are being told that in order to get a CCW permit, we must show a receipt documenting that we have been in our county for 30 consecutive days from a RV Park. Due to other commitments, we will not be here for 30 days.

I considered myself a resident of SD since I vote here, and pay my car and RV registrations (i.e., taxes) here. If I'm not considered a full citizen of the state, why bother? Are other popular full-timer domicile states (i.e., Texas, Florida, Washington, Wyoming) the same. Am I just whining needlessly?
We ran into the same thing with Concealed Carry Permit...probably the same woman in the Sioux Falls Sheriff's Office. Her comment to us was "...well, you should really want to spend 30 days in our wonderful city and state..." I told her we were ... just in Rapid City. Her response was, well we look forward to your return to Sioux Falls.

They have a nice downtown, and a nice battleship, but 30 days... just sayin'
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

That CCW permit in SD is not valid in many many other states. Just like my Indiana CCW is not valid in many other states. If your going to carry while your travel about the country why bother with a permit at all. You only have about a 33% chance of being legal in any particular state. Doesn't make any difference if you have another states CCW or not.
If you feel you must have a weapon on board, get a shotgun
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #9

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
As far as having a weapon for protection buy a shotgun. You can get one at a gun show without having to go through all the hassles.
I don't know where you go that info but the requirements for a dealer selling at a gun show, over the Internet or anywhere else is the same as though you went to his store. That's Federal law and has been that way for many years.
There's a LOT of "misinformation" out there that the "news" media keeps pushing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Wow--I've never seen such a concise compilation on this issue! Thanks for sharing!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post

Wow--I've never seen such a concise compilation on this issue! Thanks for sharing!
Welcome!
I've been around this stuff a while. :-)

And it is kept up to date.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #13

perhaps SD realizes that a residence there is frequently used as a convenient tax dodge, but didn't also want to get into the "easy gun supplier" business (like, say, Virginia)
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't know where you go that info but the requirements for a dealer selling at a gun show, over the Internet or anywhere else is the same as though you went to his store. That's Federal law and has been that way for many years.
There's a LOT of "misinformation" out there that the "news" media keeps pushing.
Yes "IF" you buy from a "dealer" at a gun show you will have to fill out the paperwork and have the proper ID's and info. If you buy from a private owner at a gun show you only have to look old enough or have an ID showing you are old enough and have the cash to pay their asking price in the state of Georgia.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote