RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Full Timer Health Insurance Options?

In six months I'll be 62 and I wanted to retire and hit the road to spend my remaining days exploring and playing across our great country.

BUT I finally called a local insurance agent to ask what it would cost to buy health insurance for my wife, myself, and my 17 year old son who will soon be in college.

I can afford college and with what I have in retirement funds, I can afford to keep my current salary (according to Vanguard) until my wife reaches 100 years old!

But I can't afford the health insurance!
I asked for the highest deductable plan for my family, knowing that we have no pre-existing conditions, no health issues that aren't covered by the VA (for my Golf War Vet wife), and no reason other than getting older by the day, to expect such crazy rates.

I was quoted $1800 a month for my family! That isn't sustainable for any middle class family... I'm hoping that part of this stupid crazy cost is due to living in my current state of Idaho.

If you don't have retired military health coverage, or former employer health benefits, what do you do?

Did you establish a residency in another state that has affordable insurance?

Hoping someone can suggest a practical alternative.

Thanks!

Sandpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpoint View Post
If you don't have retired military health coverage, or former employer health benefits, what do you do?
I used HealthSherpa to look up the ACA ("Obamacare") health plans for your ZIP code 83864 and the following info:
  • 62-year-old Male (you)
  • 62-year-old Female
  • 17-year-old Male dependent
  • Before tax income = $85,350

21 health plans were available. The lowest monthly premium I found was for a Blue Cross of Idaho POS plan for $1762/month. Almost exactly what you found.

However, if your before tax income was $83,300, then you would qualify for a subsidy, and your monthly premium would be $0:

This BCBS (Blue Cross Blue Shield) plan looks like it might have nationwide coverage which is what you need on the road. Otherwise, you're likely to pay very expensive out-of-network costs.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
This BCBS (Blue Cross Blue Shield) plan looks like it might have nationwide coverage which is what you need on the road. Otherwise, you're likely to pay very expensive out-of-network costs.

Yup, this is the big problem. Most states including Ohio where I live have zero plans that cover you when out of the area. They're all HMO plans. ACA is a massive failure in this regard.

Ray
Old 10-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Yup, this is the big problem. Most states including Ohio where I live have zero plans that cover you when out of the area. They're all HMO plans. ACA is a massive failure in this regard.

Ray
Don't they cover emergency care when 'out of state'? If you establish care with a primary physician, get your meds for the year, plan on a swing through around a specific time each year, then really just an urgent care facility if you break and ankle or get an infection is all you need. Especially since you are only 3 years away from Medicare. And your son can get student health insurance at most schools.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #5

Florida........

Isn't FL the ONLY State that has Medical Coverage Nationwide program for FULL TIME RVrs????

Isn't that one reason FT Rvrs choose FL as their 'domicle' state?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Don't they cover emergency care when 'out of state'? If you establish care with a primary physician, get your meds for the year, plan on a swing through around a specific time each year, then really just an urgent care facility if you break and ankle or get an infection is all you need. Especially since you are only 3 years away from Medicare. And your son can get student health insurance at most schools.

Regarding emergency care when 'out of state'.
Not always. Sometimes. Maybe. It depends.
Read the fine print, and ask a lot of questions.
GoneToTheDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your comments. I haven't given up. Still slowly researching options.
Sandpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Florida........

Isn't FL the ONLY State that has Medical Coverage Nationwide program for FULL TIME RVrs????

Isn't that one reason FT Rvrs choose FL as their 'domicle' state?

Have been a FL resident since 1962......never heard that
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Don't they cover emergency care when 'out of state'?
Yes however on the many plans we looked at "emergency" was defined essentially as "A reasonable person would believe that death or disability would occur within 24 hours". In other words, get home in the next day and handle it there. The broker confirmed that.

One of the short-term 360-day plan companies also excluded pre-existing conditions that you did not know you had. Just got diagnosed with symptom-less pancreatic cancer? Too bad, no health care coverage.

Quote:
I believe that it's actually that Florida's ACA plans are required to have nationwide coverage. There were a couple of other states that also did but I don't know if they still do.

Ray
Old 11-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I believe that it's actually that Florida's ACA plans are required to have nationwide coverage. There were a couple of other states that also did but I don't know if they still do.
There are over half a dozen states that have ACA plans with nationwide coverage . . . read all about them.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Have been a FL resident since 1962......never heard that
Florida uses the federally run ACA exchange, so residents enroll through HealthCare.gov. Unfortunately, Florida has a Medicaid coverage gap because the state has rejected federal funding to expand Medicaid.
Sure glad I don't have to use it.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpoint View Post
In six months I'll be 62 and I wanted to retire and hit the road to spend my remaining days exploring and playing across our great country.

BUT I finally called a local insurance agent to ask what it would cost to buy health insurance for my wife, myself, and my 17 year old son who will soon be in college.

I can afford college and with what I have in retirement funds, I can afford to keep my current salary (according to Vanguard) until my wife reaches 100 years old!

But I can't afford the health insurance!
I asked for the highest deductable plan for my family, knowing that we have no pre-existing conditions, no health issues that aren't covered by the VA (for my Golf War Vet wife), and no reason other than getting older by the day, to expect such crazy rates.

I was quoted $1800 a month for my family! That isn't sustainable for any middle class family... I'm hoping that part of this stupid crazy cost is due to living in my current state of Idaho.

Did you establish a residency in another state that has affordable insurance?

Hoping someone can suggest a practical alternative.

Thanks!
Ours was $1900/month with a $9600 deductible for the 4 of us. [moderator edit] was I going to pay that. So, we put our 2 adult kids on Obamacare and we went on a Christian Healthshare. Since our kids weren't earning much, they were subsidized to the point where their healthcare was almost free. There are a handful of healthshares out there: Liberty, Medi-share, altrua, samaritan, chm, etc. We chose Liberty since it seemed to fit us best. $399/mo with $1750 deductible for both me and wife. Good in all 50 states, has worked fine so far. The only downside is you may have to handle some of the billing/payments yourself if a doctor doesn't take it (i.e. doctor bills u directly at SELF-PAY rate, u send bill to Liberty, Liberty funds u, u pay doctor)

Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer, insurance