Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Full Timer Travel Patterns...?

About to make the leap in September. Looking at spending significant time in AZ this winter getting to know our new grandson then taking off slowly to the East along the Gulf Coast then up the East Coast through Summer.

We have been researching parks in the Mesa/Apache Junction area and some thing hit me. As to-be-newbie Full Timers I'm not sure I'm excited to initially stay a month or more packed into one of these places, (to take advantage of the reduced rates).

Maybe it's just the getting my Ya Ya's out but I want to travel!!!

Isn't it all about the journey after all?

We will have a toad but I'm not sure how thrilled we'll be. We have been life long back packers, car campers (100+ times) and have spent several months in total RV'ing but have never spent more than a week in one place before.

We are curious what others year long travel patterns have been and what makes them happy.

After the first year or so have you settled into more long term stays?

What are your travel plans for next year?

'05 Dutch Star 4011
chapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent questions to be asking others... and yourselves.

We began full time 9/09 when we sold our Northern Calif home. We knew we wanted to be in Florida 4/5/10 for the Space Shuttle launch and wanted to be in DC 6/11 to meet up with our son who was joining us from Calif. Everything in between was seat of the pants wandering through the southern part of the country. We spent much more than we needed to on short stays at CGs but had a great time.

We have now begun to think in terms of "trips" and "seasons". We want to take a trip to Alaska and another through Canada and down through New England in the fall... so we're planning those. Otherwise, we're thinking of "seasons"... where we want to settle in for a month or more at a time. This is partly to save on CG cost but also to help us slow down and relax.

Have fun...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think when we first started full timing many of us felt the same way. At first we were ready to move after two weeks or so. As time went on that changed for us and now unless we are in transit we stay at least a month.

That being said we have met a number of long term full timers that still move often.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
David,

First, you've got a new grandchild to see, correct. So that means that you will not be spending that much time in the park. Most of the RV Parks in Mesa will not be small. We stay at Mesa Spirit and the lots are 30' by 50', plenty of room for the coach, a wide patio and then the car along the other side of the patio.

Staying put will allow you to save some money for the rest of your voyage during the next year. Don't go east to fast, we spent one spring going up the east coast and ducked storms all of the time. We will never do that again, coming down the east coast in the fall is a better way for us to go.

Enjoy your adventures.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

If you do believe that travel is what fulltiming is all about, Im afraid you will not be very happy after about 2 years.

Fulltiming is the idea of getting away from the accepted way of life in America. You escape the pitfalls of taxes, insurance, up keep , house payments, neighbors , etc etc.

I think you should just consider a two year hiatus for a long vacation.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=mick;901679]If you do believe that travel is what fulltiming is all about, Im afraid you will not be very happy after about 2 years.

Fulltiming is the idea of getting away from the accepted way of life in America. You escape the pitfalls of taxes, insurance, up keep , house payments, neighbors , etc etc.

I think you should just consider a two year hiatus for a long vacation.[/QUOTE.

Interesting. 2 years is precisely the time frame we have discussed but want to remain open to longer. We will only have a modest storage unit as an anchor for however long we're FT'ing.

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
David,

First, you've got a new grandchild to see, correct. So that means that you will not be spending that much time in the park. Most of the RV Parks in Mesa will not be small. We stay at Mesa Spirit and the lots are 30' by 50', plenty of room for the coach, a wide patio and then the car along the other side of the patio.

Staying put will allow you to save some money for the rest of your voyage during the next year. Don't go east to fast, we spent one spring going up the east coast and ducked storms all of the time. We will never do that again, coming down the east coast in the fall is a better way for us to go.

Enjoy your adventures.

Barb
Re the East Coast swing, I'm not sure we'll get beyond Florida by the end of Spring. The storms are to be considered for sure. Doesn't sound like we would want to be in New York in August either. We have done fairly extensive exploring of the West but in the East... So much to learn.

BTW, my Bride (of 37 years) is in Tempe right now getting to know our grandson. I passed on the Mesa Spirit to check out and she already had it on her list to visit before coming back to BC this weekend.

'05 Dutch Star 4011
Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

We are workampers and have been out here for 9 years. We like sitting still in an area for an extended stay, because you get to know the area better. Just listening to the issues and news on local stations is an eye-opening experience. We like finding a new restaurant every week, a little museum, a new trail or park, even shopping districts. And where you will be, in Mesa, you've got lots of urban areas to explore, day trips to take. If nothing else tour an RV Park every week to see where you would like to go the next time you come through visiting! Those AZ parks have lots to keep you busy. Even if you just want to sick back and watch the people, its entertaining!

Not every area is golden of course. And most time we get hitch itch after 3 months, but we keep busy. We haven't gone back to any area after an extended stay, but we have enjoyed all or our travels. Others have said it, sit still and soak up the culture for a little bit.

Art & Carol Haenig
phishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you do believe that travel is what fulltiming is all about, Im afraid you will not be very happy after about 2 years.

There are at least as many ways to full-time as there are full-timers. Some do non-stop travel, others hardly move more than folks still in their stix-n-brix. Some start out one way, and change to the other.

Staying for long periods JUST to save money on the camp ground fees? Phtttt!

Invest in the right equipment if you don't have it already and learn how to do a little boondocking; pay little or nothing for your campsites. Do that one day out of 3 or 1 day out of 7 and you have a significant savings while still traveling in the way you wish.

Save your money in other ways; don't pay for a 50 amp site if you don't need both air conditioners. Don't pay for sewer, but dump your tanks as you leave the campground. Forsake the "resorts" and their high prices and stay at a mom-n-pop or a state or muni campground. Give up expensive and fattening "fast food" and save your eating-out money for authentic regional restaurants.

Travel to your heart's content, whether that is lots or little. The one guarantee in life is that are no guarantees.

Many people really just enjoy the people they meet more than the travel; for them staying in one spot is ideal. We like to really explore an area, but we'd never hesitate to move along when the spirit moves us.

Don't second-guess yourselves; be thrifty but don't deprive yourself of the things that you love about this lifestyle.

JMHO

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #10

I strictly play it by ear. I have spent 4 months in one spot and sometimes it is overnights. It all depends upon what I am doing. I recently stopped for 3 days and it ended up as 17 days. After that it was 3 days and another 2 days. I am now stopped for a week. From here I plan to camp on a lake to fish for 3 to 8 weeks. What ever mood I am in deceides how often I move.

There is no rule as to how often you travel or how long you stay.
Do your own thing.

If you are 62 or more get the Senior Pass. That is a one time $10.00 cost and gets you into museums, parks and other federal things. It gets you 50% off at federal camp grounds. It is good for your lifetime.

Buy a years membership to PassPort America. About $50.00 per year. Again 50% off at over 1700 camp grounds across the country. 4 nights and you have saved the membership fee. Where I am now they honored it for a whole week. I saved 2.3 times the membership fee and I already have saved the fee previously.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #11

"There are at least as many ways to full-time as there are full-timers. Some do non-stop travel, others hardly move more than folks still in their stix-n-brix. Some start out one way, and change to the other.

Staying for long periods JUST to save money on the camp ground fees? Phtttt! "

And you been fulltiming for how many years ?
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

It took us a while to figure out that full time didn't mean we had to travel full time... but rather gave us the freedom to "live" wherever we wanted for as long as we wanted. If we wanted to travel... we could go on a "trip". It all came down to the freedom to do what we felt like doing at the time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
"There are at least as many ways to full-time as there are full-timers. Some do non-stop travel, others hardly move more than folks still in their stix-n-brix. Some start out one way, and change to the other.

Staying for long periods JUST to save money on the camp ground fees? Phtttt! "

And you been fulltiming for how many years ?

And your point would be.........?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

That is our philosophy. We like spending the winter in Mesa, it is usually pretty dry and warm (compared with lots of other areas), we enjoy the desert, there are so many things to do in the Phoenix area including Smooth Jazz Concerts (we already have tickets for one in December and one in March), Spring Training, great museums, great food, great geocaching, golf courses galore, and on and on. But after about 3 months, Dave really has hitch itch, so we hit the road again with ours (as well as the coach's) batteries charge for another spring, summer and fall of exploring.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel