Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #71

Combo works great. Set and forget. Have been to some scary laundromats across this country. In-house is much cheaper
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 03:29 AM   #72

We took ours out, It was a washer/drier and used to take so long to cycle that it was more efficient to use site machines, apart from the time, the noise was annoying, the space it freed up we used for waste bin and laundry bin.

Bazzer
Old 10-15-2018, 06:11 AM   #73

Love our washer and dryer. 18 years camping, 2 years full timing without a washer and dryer. 1 year in our new motorhome with stackable washer and dryer. Would never go back. Yup- a load takes a long time- up to an hour and 40 min just to wash, but the clothes are clean. I can do other stuff, like sit outside and read around a campfire. We boondock and camp in national, state parks with few hookups a lot and will go to a full hookup campground at least once every two weeks.for a day or two just to wash and flush the holding tanks. We have had bad luck twice at laundromats where I needed to rewash clothes and once where the machine tore up several items. The final straw was horse hair stuck in our clothes. Seems that we shouldn't go to a laundromat near horse farms and riding stables!
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #74

While full timing at a CG doing a contract job where I needed to wear dress clothes one weekend I unknowingly followed someone who washed oily stuff that ruined my shirts, Had to buy new. A few weeks later I took my wash out of a dryer and they smelled like suntan lotion and were covered with sand. Someone must have dried their beach towels without washing. No more. We bought a Splendide. We use it for a hamper and when full wash and dry. Dry takes awhile but we do other stuff until it's done.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
My wife and I are beginning our 6th month of Full Timing following our retirement.

We are in the process of selecting our next Fiver and are confused as ever...

The question that I have for the Full Timers is this... What percentage of Full Timers have a Washer and Dryer in their rigs??? I'm not concerned about brands...just want to get an idea as to what percentage do their laundry on board their rig as opposed to going to a laundromat.

Would appreciate whatever input you could offer... Thank You...
Wouldn't be without it. We only use it for socks and skivvies. Major loads we wait until we're in a campground with a laundry. Also, after our morning shower, the towels go in the dryer. Keeps 'em fluffy.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazEnglander View Post
We took ours out, It was a washer/drier and used to take so long to cycle that it was more efficient to use site machines, apart from the time, the noise was annoying, the space it freed up we used for waste bin and laundry bin.

Bazzer

Now can we get your wife's opinion?
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazEnglander View Post

Bazzer

We have the same story , ours had a combo , wife didn’t like it , so we removed it .
We’re fulltimers . It would be handy every now & then , but not worth the space it took up in our case
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We are FT, 3 years. We have stackable w/d and I would not be without it! A load or two in the evening and it's done. I don't give up any time for it, and I KNOW what was in that washer last! I use pods so my supplies take no space and there's no mess.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #79

W/D in RV

We are not FT. I truly believe it's just a preference. We have a W/D combo. The fact that the W/D is so small, I feel like all I would do is laundry. Most of the RV Parks that we have been in have W/D we can use or I just wait until we get back & do them. I'm actually trying to get my husband to remove ours so I can use the space for storage. I guess, I personally don't want to be doing laundry daily while we are RVing.
beckyboomban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #80

Hi there this is Randall in India and we are full-timers. We bought a 36 foot Forest River 5th wheel and it came with a washer and dryer. It is the most wonderful thing in the world. We only do laundry when we have a full hookup but that is regularly.
We sometimes don't have sewer so there's a little bit of an issue of how to deal with gray water when you don't have a sewer hookup. It varies but there are some Campground that have a gray water drain that keeps you from having to worry about it.

For the most part I'd say if you had a washer dryer at your home and you're going to be full-time and the RV is your home why wouldn't you want it washer and dryer in your home
RandallIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #81

We've been full-timing for over 5 years now. 3 years ago we acquired a class A with a combo W/D and it's become one of the "must have" items on our next RV checklist.
Laundry on demand, significant savings vs. laundromats, we KNOW what's been in the drum.
Having done with and without, with is far better, imo.
justm1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #82

RV combined washer dryer are difficult to repair, can leak, take up space and are VERY slow to complete a cycle.

And it will make the person managing the washing a SLAVE to the washer as it will take constant attention to wash a lot of stuff, often meaning being involved with washer almost every day.

On the other hand, accumulate a bunch of clothes and find a laundromat every few weeks, where you can load MANY machines at one time and be out of there in an hour or so.

Use the RV washer space for all the things a full timer needs.

Never consider the cost when comparing your own washer vs laundromat as you will not know cost to maintain, and not likely cost out the extra time it takes to keep your own small unit cycling.

Enjoy the good life.
BarryHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #83

Alpine Owners Club
Washer/Dryer

RV units are VERY small and have LONG cycles. My wife says "God invented laundromats to give RV couples a time out". To stop every two weeks and have an hour and a half apart can make for a happy traveling marriage!
George Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #84

Barry , that’s us . We’d much rather go to laundromat once a week for 1 hour , sometimes 1.5 hours, including folding & hanging clothes , than do laundry fold & put away everyday .
For us as workampers , having our own washer dryer just doesn’t work as well .
A. We usually get free laundry as part of compensation.
B. We often times do it while we’re in town anyway
C. One job we had didn’t include sewer hook up , owner dumped everyone weekly with honey wagon . 1 wash would fill grey tank .
If it works for you , great . But yo act like it’s a must have for everyone is silly .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer