Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #29

My suggestion is use a reputable broker. Many insurance companies are getting out of insurance for full timers and longer RVs due to high cost of claims. Make sure your broker really knows how the rig will be used so if and when you have a claim you are covered. For piece of mind we insured rig with a set replacement value. Cost more but no argument if totaled.

Good luck and enjoy the journey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #30
RV LIFE Support Team

We did the same thing, replacement value. Peace of mind for us right now.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are insured through AARP which is The Hartford. Our 33' DP costs us about $250/ year to insure. I asked the company how much it might go up when we went full time in January and they told me that it would go down and that our car would be a lot cheaper because it would no longer be a daily driver but an occasional use vehicle since towed mileage doesn't count.

If you are 55 or older check it out.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #32
RV LIFE Support Team

How old is your coach? $250/year sounds so wrong. And it will go down??

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
How old is your coach? $250/year sounds so wrong. And it will go down??
Yes. Full coverage with a $1000 deductible. That is for the 2008 National Tropical Diesel Pusher. The previous 2002 Coachmen Mirada was closer to $200. We pay just over $1100 for all three vehicles because one of the cars is driven to work daily so that is the lions share of the money. The RV's are considered occasional use vehicles which are cheaper. They said it will go down because-
My wife will be over $65 as I am.
We will have fewer vehicles
No vehicle will be driven to work.
They expect that the RV will spend most of it's time safely parked in a campground while 2 old people enjoy the sun by the pool.

The one remaining car will be towed and seldom driven.

This is a matter of risk tables. It does not take into account that we will be out in the western desert roaring along some ridge in search of the perfect boondock spot or cruising the Pacific Coast Highway staying in the sketchy overnight beach areas. I did not believe our good fortune when we were told this. We also live in the Keys right now and will use a local Florida address for residence so we are in a high priced area.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #34
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
This is a matter of risk tables. It does not take into account that we will be out in the western desert roaring along some ridge in search of the perfect boondock spot or cruising the Pacific Coast Highway staying in the sketchy overnight beach areas. I did not believe our good fortune when we were told this. We also live in the Keys right now and will use a local Florida address for residence so we are in a high priced area.

I understand risk tables but I don't understand the above caveat.

Most of us pay significantly more for fulltime coverage and I would have thought this pricing would have come to light a long time ago.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 06-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #35

Geigo
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #36
RV LIFE Support Team

?????

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 06-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
SafeCo Insurance (covers Full-time RVers)
https://www.safeco.com/
djpotts50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #38

Truck is insured as required by law, camper is self insured (none).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #39

Confused by international differences

We're ex-pat Aussies who (thanks to a 5 year B2 Visa) travel fulltime in the USA for 6 months, then come home to the family for a month before returning to the US for more touring. We've done 3 x 6mth trips since May 2018.
Thanks to a mate I served with in the Navy I managed to navigate my way through the regular insurance maze for the rig but at the moment I am bemused that while our rig is in storage (for 6 months this time - US Border Patrol regs) our insurance has NOT reduced.
I would have thought that the risk of collision, fire, theft etc would be less once the rig is demobilised and in secure professional storage facility but at $160 / /mth it seems not.
Am I paying too much? I can't find anyone else who will cover us and being back in Australia it's difficult too search.
It seems that if they can't fit you into a standard box and label you then you're at their mercy.
volitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Geico
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #41

Insurance

Thanks Sugaree. I'll check them out.
volitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by volitans View Post
We're ex-pat Aussies who (thanks to a 5 year B2 Visa) travel fulltime in the USA for 6 months, then come home to the family for a month before returning to the US for more touring. We've done 3 x 6mth trips since May 2018.
Thanks to a mate I served with in the Navy I managed to navigate my way through the regular insurance maze for the rig but at the moment I am bemused that while our rig is in storage (for 6 months this time - US Border Patrol regs) our insurance has NOT reduced.
I would have thought that the risk of collision, fire, theft etc would be less once the rig is demobilised and in secure professional storage facility but at $160 / /mth it seems not.
Am I paying too much? I can't find anyone else who will cover us and being back in Australia it's difficult too search.
It seems that if they can't fit you into a standard box and label you then you're at their mercy.
Sorry no one provided any explanation to your question. I think this fit in that category of "what is full time coverage", and a reputable company that truly insures for such. If the RV is stored (NOT IN USE), then the full time should come off. Is your RV financed? If not, I would think you should be able to cancel Comp and Collision. I am not an insurance rep so don't quote me. You may wish to consult other agents.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance