Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Full timing??

Thinking about going full time in our motor home. I am wondering from those who full time where they register their coach and why. Looking for low taxes (or no state income tax) and cheap car and coach registration. NOT looking to live in one state and register in another for tax relief.

Safe travels
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
Thinking about going full time in our motor home. I am wondering from those who full time where they register their coach and why. Looking for low taxes (or no state income tax) and cheap car and coach registration. NOT looking to live in one state and register in another for tax relief.

Safe travels
Dave
The three most popular are;

South Dakota - mainly because it's easy and not to much $$.

Florida - cheap if you already own and have a income tax issue to deal with. No State income Tax.

Montana LLC - for those who are just into Buying New and a lower registration fee - after a number of years it can become a one time permanent Tag. which just makes life easy.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are in Florida. We lived in "Flada" and didn't want to pay sales tax to transfer to somewhere else. No State tax and no tax on the Rig. No special license needed and the rig bets a car registration and plate. Anyone of age can drive it I think you can drive it at fifteen.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

We are not full timers but we aspire to in about 5 years. Actually we may start out half timing. Anyway https://www.escapees.com/ is a great resource for information gathering.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #5

South Dakota here... No state income taxes. Registration and plate fees are somewhat reasonable... They (state government) know that they are the “state of residence” for thousands of full timers. The bugger here is Insurance. The cost of insuring our vehicles as full timers is quite high. Medicare (Gap) plans are also available by state and SD seems to have fairly good plans - but not as inexpensive as some other states..
Old 12-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #6

The key is cutting all professional ties with the state you are leaving.

Get a Doctor, dentist, safe deposit box, voter registration and all stored goods into the new state.

Texas, South Dakota and Florida are the top three states to change to.

Don't forget health insurance costs.

Look to the advice provided by Escapees.

All that said, SD for me.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I would add GA to the list IF you are 62+ as $35K/person of income is GA income tax free increasing to $65K at 65. Unlike FL, if you’ve owned the rig more than 6 months, there is no tax when you register it...GA charges a 6.7% tax on any motor vehicle brought into GA or bought in GA. The GA tag for my DP is $120/year ...$20 for the tag and $100 for a new heavy (26+K) vehicle tax. A FL tag would be $80/year.

Property taxes in GA are reasonable...I pay $700 on $100K of property value but many countries are higher. In FL I pay $2000 on $100K of property.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We choose Florida over SD and TX. We did so because health insurance was readily and cheaply available, while the other two states had few options. Florida as you know has no income tax and registration of vehicles is very cheap. Only problem is auto insurance costs in Florida are high.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We also use Florida.
No state income tax, cheap registration of MH and car, Good nationwide medicare coverage and I CAN FISH FOR FREE
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
we are the odd balls here we still use az
Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
we are the odd balls here we still use az
Arizona has state income tax, no mail service dedicated to full-time traveling public, higher vehicle registration fees, etc. Also, I don't know if a mail forwarder address would be considered legal for drivers licenses, voting, etc. We have looked at it as a possibility because we spend part of the winter here, but so far it doesn't seem to be favorable for us.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #12

I use South Dakota. Benefits include no state income tax, low vehicle insurance rates, low registration rates, no yearly vehicle inspections (safety or emissions), very easy residency change process, vehicle registration and title transfers can be handled through the mail, and driver's license can be renewed online every other renewal. All in all, you only have to be physically present in South Dakota once every 10 years, and even then it's just overnight and you've got I think a 3 month grace period to get it done. Practically anybody can work that into the schedule.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #13

We use TX. Main reason it's not SD is it was easier to get to TX than SD when we changed domicile. Also, our gas MH doesn't require a special license in TX.

Florida used to be, and maybe still is, a better choice if you're buying insurance on the exchanges. A little discussed bonus, you get significant resident discounts on Disney World annual passes. If you're a Disney fan, that can be a big savings.

Honestly, any of the big three, TX, SD and FL will do you fine. The devil is in the details. Which works best for you and your situation? That take a bit of research to determine. Sometimes it doesn't matter too much. But if you need a special license, are buying health care, etc., it matters a bunch!
Old 12-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at the Escaapees website. They offer info on domiciling in Texas, Florida and South Dakota.

We were already native Texans and just kept Texas as the domicile. The state license for RVs over 26000# is no big issue. The test is simple and quiet honestly needed for the larger vehicles.

No state income tax, insurance and license fees are reasonable.

https://www.escapees.com/

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote